New Carb.. NOT STARTING!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New Carb.. NOT STARTING!!

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% off

Unread 03-23-2003, 09:32 PM   #1
cj5mudman4x4

New Carb.. NOT STARTING!!

i went through hell to get a carb that worked. Advanced Auto sold me a bad carb. and i rebuilt 2 others.. no i got a good carb. but my jeep wont start. it keeps flooding. is there something i need to know when installing a carb that i am just oblivious to? PLEASE HELP! its getting warm here in KY and my friend took the top off his YJ, i am so jealous! I WANT MY JEEP!

we drove through our malls parking lot last nite and there was a meeting of lowered trucks. i could only think of the things i could have done if i had my jeep.. as u can see i am having withdrawels!

INDEPENDENT OFFROAD member Bowling Green, Ky
cj5mudman4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2003, 10:34 PM   #2
JeepingMoose

What kind of carb? I just went through the ringer getting my carb set up in my rig also. Maybe between a few of us we can get yours up and running so you can prove to those low-rider types that the REAL action is off the road!!!!
JeepingMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2003, 02:28 PM   #3
Guy Hollister

Might try the air valve thingy being jammed shut... thus starving it of air... as a first check... the oil and crap that the PCV gives to the carb helped jam mine shut some time ago... and when your in the jeep you can't tell if its opening or not... i jammed a twist tie in it... and started it ... then pulled it out... easy. But later lubed it and freed it up.

g
Unread 03-25-2003, 12:20 PM   #4
JLCJ7
2007 JK Wrangler 

Does it have an electric or manual choke? If it is electric sometimes people forget to hook the wire back up. Also check to make sure all your linkages are hooked up... seems obvious but it happens. Then try setting the choke... If it is a NEW carb it should have no problems starting. If it is a USED, new carb there may be problems with it.....
JLCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2003, 08:50 PM   #5
cj5mudman4x4

It is a Carter 1bbl with an electric choke.. REMANUFACTURED.. my prob. with starting was my spark plugs.. they got so drenched with gas they went bad. replaced them and now she starts.. when the engine isnt hot. i think my starter is kicking out now. it gives a wierd humming noise and wont let the engine turn over, when its hot. and when i stop for a stop sign my engine wants to die!? i am taking it to a mechanic ..
INDEPENDENT OFFROAD member Bowling Green, Ky
cj5mudman4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.