New Carb..New Starting issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New Carb..New Starting issues

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
jtad
1980 CJ7 

New Carb..New Starting issues

1980 CJ7 with a 258. Just did the "Ebay Guy" 2150 carb swap. Jeep runs great now. Starts right up in the mornings, no prob. But after you drive it for a while and get it good and warmed up, it won't restart with out just pumping the crap out of the gas. You can turn it off and restart it in 5-10 mins no prob. But wait 15-20 and it's a no go.. Wait an hour, will start right up.. Makes no senes whats the deal?

jtad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Electric choke?
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
jtad
1980 CJ7 

man choke.. and it doesn't make any difference if you use it or not.
Unread 01-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

When it doesn't start, do you have fuel getting to the carb, and spark at the plugs?

Matt
Unread 01-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
jtad
1980 CJ7 

Yes, I have tried choking it. Holding it at wide open, pump twice turn the key... nothing... just pump the crap out of it while turning it over and it will finale start.. But like I said you can turn it off and it will start right back up if it is within about 15 mins. or after 30 mins or so.. but somewhere around
the 20 min mark it will not start without all the pumping.. I have been around all kinds of cars, built hot rods, motorcycles, all kind of stuff. Never have seen anything like it.. I can't figure it out. It does it everytime. I spent all day the other day, timing the time between starts trying to figure it out.. I know it sounds stupid...But 20 mins seems to be the magic number. I guess I will just wait 30 mins and it will start right up....lol
Unread 01-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

You don't understand, despite your time spent around "cars, built hot rods, motorcycles, all kind of stuff".

I repeat..is your carb getting fuel when the engine won't start.

Is you ignition getting spark to the plugs when the engine won't start?

Answer those questions, and we'll go from there.

Matt
Unread 01-29-2013, 07:49 PM   #7
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

What fuel system have you got installed?

Have you got the 3 way filter with the tank return line installed on the 12 o'clock port? (Crucial)

When you installed this carb did you check the float levels and any inlet filter inside the carb?

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
jtad
1980 CJ7 

I do understand. I'm not trying to be smart but read my reply.... The first word I wrote was.......YES... So, I repeat...YES it is getting fuel and spark. And BagusJeep I have the three way filter, installed the proper way. Float levels good, no inlet filter in the carb.
Yesterday start the jeep and drive it to work, no problem. After work start the jeep drive home, no problem. Go home and leave about a hour later to go to sons basketball game, no problem. Watch game get ready to leave, no problem. Go to the school to pick him up after game (it was an away game). wait in the parking lot for about 20 mins for him to get there, jeep wont start without all the pumping. Leave the school stop and get gas, jeep starts right back up. Drive home, turn it off, starts right back up. try again 22 mins later, no start without pumping. Get it started, turn it off, starts right back up. Go inside come back out an hour later, no problem. This morning no problem....Matt I wan't trying to tell you I am some super mechanic by saying what I said about hot rods and motorcycles. Just trying to relay that I am not a total newbie that doesn't know jack.. It is a very strange problem I have never seen before. Wasn't looking for someone to be a smartt a** to me, just a little help. So thanks in advance for any insite anyone can lend to this.. Tad

Last edited by jtad; 01-29-2013 at 08:19 PM..
Unread 01-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #9
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtad
Yes, I have tried choking it. Holding it at wide open, pump twice turn the key... nothing... just pump the crap out of it while turning it over and it will finale start.. But like I said you can turn it off and it will start right back up if it is within about 15 mins. or after 30 mins or so.. but somewhere around
the 20 min mark it will not start without all the pumping.. I have been around all kinds of cars, built hot rods, motorcycles, all kind of stuff. Never have seen anything like it.. I can't figure it out. It does it everytime. I spent all day the other day, timing the time between starts trying to figure it out.. I know it sounds stupid...But 20 mins seems to be the magic number. I guess I will just wait 30 mins and it will start right up....lol
The way you wrote the sentence indicates that "yes (comma) I have tried choking it."
I not a English major by any stretch. But I read it the same way as Matt1981cj7.

Make me wonder if the carb is flooding out by leaking fuel into the intake. So after 30 minutes it drys out enough to start .

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 04:03 AM   #10
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

How about a vacuum leak at intake somewhere that opens up on heat soak when engine off and closes after a hour or so as engine starts to cool

I am using my phone so I can't see your engine. Or if its got stock exhaust manifold or a header. But the I6 is a bugger with vacuum leaks at the intake to head. Especially with regards to what type and how many gaskets your using.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 04:51 AM   #11
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It sounds like a possible vapor lock to me.

Pictures of your setup would help.

Matt
Unread 01-30-2013, 06:06 AM   #12
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
It sounds like a possible vapor lock to me.

Pictures of your setup would help.

Matt
That's a possibility but when he replied yes to fuel I was taking it that he saw fuel squirting from accelerator pump.

Which is why he's corn fused on what's going on.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2013, 06:11 AM   #13
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
That's a possibility but when he replied yes to fuel I was taking it that he saw fuel squirting from accelerator pump.

Which is why he's corn fused on what's going on.
He also mentioned having to pump the throttle during the periods of hard-starting. Which leads me to delivery issues.

Matt
Unread 01-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #14
jtad
1980 CJ7 

All new vacum lines (I know NEW doesnt spell good) but very few vacum lines, just PCV, and advance on dizy. Yes I am getting a squirt of fuel from the acc pump.. Which makes this whole having to pump it deal even stranger... Just makes no sense to me at all. Stock everything on the engine other than the Ebay Guy carb. Never had this problem before the carb change. But other than the hard start, it runs perfect. I am so confused.
Unread 01-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #15
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtad View Post
But after you drive it for a while and get it good and warmed up, it won't restart with out just pumping the crap out of the gas.
Quote:
Yes, I have tried choking it. Holding it at wide open, pump twice turn the key... nothing... just pump the crap out of it while turning it over and it will finale start.
Quote:
... an hour later to go to sons basketball game, ...
I see you have a son, but I am not sure how familiar you are with carburated engines. In my opinion, your restart procedure for a warm engine is wrong. Your flooding your engine. Owner's manuals used to state that to start a warm engine, to hold the accelerator pedal a quarter to half way to the floor then crank. Sitting warm will vaporize the existing fuel causing a rich effect which needs more air to lean it out. Holding it at wide open dumps a lot of fuel in an already "flooded"/rich with fuel oxygen environment. Pumping twice after that just exasperates the flooded condition.
I can't think of a good reason why pumping the crap out of it seems to work but I think it is happenstance to other conditions.
Try it again with just depressing the gas pedal a quarter of the way. If it doesn't start, quit cranking but do not let off the pedal. Try again in about 15 to 30 seconds. By the way, it is recommended not to crank longer than 15/20 second intervals to keep the starter from getting hot, eliminating premature starter failure.
Hope this helps, .
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.