New carb from ebay or..... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New carb from ebay or.....

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 09-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #16
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

Check summit racing. I got a MC2100 for around under 200 a couple years ago. I believe it was a reman from Holley, iirc

Unread 09-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #17
Oily
1985 CJ7 

I just bought a MC2100 from National Carburator for $169.00, lifetime warranty. Get your base adapter, an air cleaner, a throttle cable from a V8 CJ and you are good to go.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #18
JeepMonkey
1986 CJ7 

I too got a 2150 from the eBay guy. Directions are abundant but not exactly clear cut. You will need to have the ability to figure it put on your own. I also experienced the total lack of support after the sale. Called and emailed and could not get a response.

With that said, I am satisfied with the result with the exception of a flat spot while under acceleration. It only happens when starting from a stand still and problem completely goes away when the engine gets good and warmed up. Thinking it could be a poor spark versus a carb issue.

I would probably piece together my own if I could do it all again. His product didn't create a whole lot of value (other than simplicity of having a finished product delivered) to me.
JeepMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #19
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMonkey View Post
I too got a 2150 from the eBay guy. Directions are abundant but not exactly clear cut. You will need to have the ability to figure it put on your own. I also experienced the total lack of support after the sale. Called and emailed and could not get a response.

With that said, I am satisfied with the result with the exception of a flat spot while under acceleration. It only happens when starting from a stand still and problem completely goes away when the engine gets good and warmed up. Thinking it could be a poor spark versus a carb issue.

I would probably piece together my own if I could do it all again. His product didn't create a whole lot of value (other than simplicity of having a finished product delivered) to me.

My experience was totally different (wonder if we got ours from the same seller??). I researched the swap and asked my questions up front. The kit came with very thorough and complete and instructions that were novice friendly. My install took about 45 minutes and operation has been flawless - much better than it ever did with the Carter. I probably paid a few dollars more but for me the cost was worth it. YMMV but it was a great buy for me in my situation.
Unread 09-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #20
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
DGES

Matt

Matt, did you have the 32/36 before the 38/38 on your 258?
Dennis
Unread 09-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #21
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

Matt, what was your firsthand experience with the 32/36 as compared to the 38/38 that you had on the 258? You did have one then the other, correct?
Thanks..
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #22
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

I bought an MC2100 from the Ebay guy with good results, however If I could do it again I'd spend they money on a brand new carburetor. The problem with used carbs is the throttle shaft passages are worn, sometimes to the point of being too worn. Also, keep in mind that there are all kinds of variations on the MC 2100 and 2150 carburetors, so you don't know specifically which one you'll get. For example, is the choke pull-off dashpot built into the carb or an external one? If you you buy a new Weber then you know exactly what it is and that may make it easier to rebuild or get parts for in the future. Plus you get a warranty and consistent support.

Some folks talk about starting with a salvage yard 2100 and making the whole conversion for $100 or so, and this makes the Ebay guy's prices sound high at $300 or more, but as you've experienced, driving from place to place to look for used parts is time consuming. So for the money you spend on an already refurbished 2100, you potentially save a lot of time. Sending the Ebay guy $300+ and having a box show up with all of the necessary parts is very convenient. You pay for that convenience, but what is your time worth? The answer is different for different people.

On the other hand, going the 2100 route (versus buying a new Weber) isn't bad. The benefits have been well discussed so I won't re-hash them all.
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #23
rah2eq
1978 CJ5 

Hey,
I've got a freshly rebuilt 2100 that I'm just about to replace with a four barrel. It ran on my 304 really well. Electric choke conversion on it. Send me a PM if you're interested, I'll be removing it in less than 2 weeks.
Ryan
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #24
Grumpy_one
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah2eq View Post
Hey,
I've got a freshly rebuilt 2100 that I'm just about to replace with a four barrel. It ran on my 304 really well. Electric choke conversion on it. Send me a PM if you're interested, I'll be removing it in less than 2 weeks.
Ryan
Thanks, will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
I bought an MC2100 from the Ebay guy with good results, however If I could do it again I'd spend they money on a brand new carburetor. The problem with used carbs is the throttle shaft passages are worn, sometimes to the point of being too worn. Also, keep in mind that there are all kinds of variations on the MC 2100 and 2150 carburetors, so you don't know specifically which one you'll get. For example, is the choke pull-off dashpot built into the carb or an external one? If you you buy a new Weber then you know exactly what it is and that may make it easier to rebuild or get parts for in the future. Plus you get a warranty and consistent support.

Some folks talk about starting with a salvage yard 2100 and making the whole conversion for $100 or so, and this makes the Ebay guy's prices sound high at $300 or more, but as you've experienced, driving from place to place to look for used parts is time consuming. So for the money you spend on an already refurbished 2100, you potentially save a lot of time. Sending the Ebay guy $300+ and having a box show up with all of the necessary parts is very convenient. You pay for that convenience, but what is your time worth? The answer is different for different people.

On the other hand, going the 2100 route (versus buying a new Weber) isn't bad. The benefits have been well discussed so I won't re-hash them all.
The ebay guy is selling brand new for 300.00
Grumpy_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #25
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Nah, they aren't brand new. He buys them on eBay used, strips and refurbs them, then paints them and tunes them. I don't think you can actually buy them "new" anywhere.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #26
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

I looked into the new/used issue. The "ebay guy" Mike Ehrman's ebay name is "ehrmannmp". In this auction he's selling what he says a is a new MC 2150:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MotorCra...ce2c6b&vxp=mtr

That is great, but is he going to be able to provide the same support as Holley?

Here is a list of other auctions he has running:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from..._dmd=1&_ipg=50
Unread 09-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #27
capt205
1983 CJ7 

My 2150 from the eBay guy was Brand New...not rebuilt, not striped and refinished...but brand new.

I don't know where he gets them from, but he clearly states in his adds whether its rebuilt or new.
capt205 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #28
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

Was your new carb from him stamped with a venturi ID on the side? I got one also and it does not have that ID on it.... Does this mean it is a knock off clone and not an OEM 2150/2100?
Unread 09-29-2013, 11:54 PM   #29
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drespecki View Post
Matt, what was your firsthand experience with the 32/36 as compared to the 38/38 that you had on the 258? You did have one then the other, correct?
Thanks..
Sorry for the late reply.

I ran the 32/36 for about 6 months after my BBD died. The mileage was decent, but there was a noticeable downgrade in performance compared to the BBD (when the BBD was running correctly). In a nutshell, it made my 258 doggy.

The 38's performance was night and day different. It really woke up my old 258. Once I got the jetting dialed in, my old heap never ran better.

If you are considering either of these carbs, go with the 38, you won't be disappointed.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 05:03 AM   #30
davegt
1983 CJ5 

I bought a new carb from the guy from Ebay..and found the install smooth..and it fired up right away...i never dealt with carbs except pulling my hair out with the Carter...I had it on for a year and half now no problems. Never had to touch it yet. Ifi can get my hands on an adapter to use my stock air cleaner..would be nice...the one he provides does the trick..i just like the look of old
davegt is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.