New carb from ebay or..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New carb from ebay or.....

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Grumpy_one
1976 CJ5 

New carb from ebay or.....

Thinking about biting the bullet and getting a new mc 2150 from that ebay guy for 300.00+ or rummaging through the junk yards for a 20.00-30.00 old one. I tried yesterday and the carbs I ran across seemed pretty dismal (loose throttle shafts etc). It's quite a jump from 30.00 (+- 20.00 for rebuild kit and what ever more for adapter) to 300.00 for everything including adapter plate. The thought of a completely new one sounds pretty good. Trying to keep this project under budget as much as possible but time is money as well. I wasted two hours yesterday chasing a 10 spine yoke off of a 79 QT Wagoneer to pull it off and find a 26 spline yoke (drive time to and from was an hour and looking for carb took some time).

So what I'm looking for is some input from any one who has gone through the junk yard route and ended up with the new one from ebay. Or if you did get one from the ebay guy, was it worth it? Support? Would you do it again? Thanks

Grumpy_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

How bad do you need one? Ebay might be a good option - and by that I mean waiting for the right used one to show up on eBay and then rebuilding and jetting it yourself.

Not all MCs are created the same, so it helps to know what to look for. Manual or automatic choke? How much of the vacuum lines were you planning to connect? Etc.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

I am far from a mechanic and did the weber 32/36 on mine ..... I love it!

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
capt205
1983 CJ7 

I did the MC2150 from the eBay guy, and am happy with it. Are there cheaper options....certainly. But the eBay route was easy peasy.
capt205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
Grumpy_one
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
How bad do you need one? Ebay might be a good option - and by that I mean waiting for the right used one to show up on eBay and then rebuilding and jetting it yourself.

Not all MCs are created the same, so it helps to know what to look for. Manual or automatic choke? How much of the vacuum lines were you planning to connect? Etc.
Well, that's just it, I don't need one. I'm wanting to convert from the single barrel to the two barrel. And from what I've read the mc 2100 was/is the best candidate for the swap. Now I'm seeing that the 2150 (improved over the 2100 with altitude compensation which appeals to me because Rubicon Trail is above 6000 ft) is the one I really want, again, don't need it. But having been on the Rubicon Trail several times and dealing with the engine stall due steep angle was a pain. My jeep ran very sucsessfully on the trail with the single carter, open diffs, and 31" tires. No breakage (none to stop me in my tracks anyway). So now I want to return with 35" swampers, SOA, locked 44's (that I'll run open until absolutely necessary) and improved breathing for the motor. So as far as need, not so much. It's a want thing.
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
Grumpy_one
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt205 View Post
I did the MC2150 from the eBay guy, and am happy with it. Are there cheaper options....certainly. But the eBay route was easy peasy.
Yeah, easy peasy certainly has it's place. Thanks
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

If you don't need it, but want it, I'd say be patient and wait for the right used one on eBay. That's where gronk or ehrmannmp whatever the seller's name is gets his, and he's only willing to pay so much.

How much elevation do you regularly go through? I sold my old 2150 to a guy at sea level (5K here), and he still had to rejet it despite the "altitude compensation."

You'll be looking for a 1.08, with either manual or electric choke (manny is the easiest thing to adapt and use, IMO), and as few vacuum ports as possible. You only need ported and manifold vacuum, for your distributor advance and crank case ventilation respectively (though Matt1981CJ recommends manifold for the distributor), and maybe a bowl vent if you want one. Many models come with way more ports than you need, all of which can be plugged if not in use.

All gronk does is clean them, repaint them, and put a rebuild kit on them. He's probably got loads of spare parts for those that need it.
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

And I say that for a few reasons:

With time to tinker, you may as well tinker.

I also found that Ehrmann wasn't so good on follow-up. He provides a very detailed instruction document, but after that you're pretty much on your own. It's not like it was hard, but with that sort of support I'd have optioned to wait and DIY had I known. Actually, had I known, I would have went straight to a Howell kit, which I ended up doing to pass emissions anyway.
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

My preference would be a new Weber 38, with the adapter for a factory air cleaner, from Tom at Redline.

Tom will supply you with everything you need to re-jet for altitude, which is very easy to do on a Weber 38. The electric choke will plug right in without modification to the factory wiring, and the throttle linkages will hook up to factory without needing a different bracket. I think the 2150's choke wiring and throttle linkages both need modification, but neither is difficult.

If you decide to go the Weber route, I can give you the jetting that worked the best for my 6000 feet elevation, and Tom will probably set it up for you.

Good luck,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

I got that 2150 and it is 'nearly' perfect except for a flat area upon aggressive acceleration.. I tried to find out from him what power valve and jets are in it but he will not respond..

What size PV and jets is everyone running in their 2150/2100? (no intent to hijack your thread)
I am at about 3000 ft and think that I need to change one or the other or both out for a different size...
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #11
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

Matt, is that the 360 or the 258 with that Weber 38? I might try one and am at 3000 feet..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
My preference would be a new Weber 38, with the adapter for a factory air cleaner, from Tom at Redline.

Tom will supply you with everything you need to re-jet for altitude, which is very easy to do on a Weber 38. The electric choke will plug right in without modification to the factory wiring, and the throttle linkages will hook up to factory without needing a different bracket. I think the 2150's choke wiring and throttle linkages both need modification, but neither is difficult.

If you decide to go the Weber route, I can give you the jetting that worked the best for my 6000 feet elevation, and Tom will probably set it up for you.

Good luck,

Matt
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drespecki View Post
Matt, is that the 360 or the 258 with that Weber 38? I might try one and am at 3000 feet..
That was with my 258 before I swapped to the 360. If Weber made a suitable carb for my 360, I'd be running one of those, as well. Right now, I'm running a Q-jet on my 360, and I'm not completely satisfied with it.

I've shown this video a bunch, but I think it demonstrates how well a 258 can run with a Weber 38. Hopefully the regulars aren't sidk of seeing it. This was shot right after I got done re-jetting for altitude. The engine had 98K original miles and was completely stock other than the new carb.

Matt

Unread 09-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
drespecki
1983 CJ7 

What model Weber was that? The 38DGES or 38DGEV?
Unread 09-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #14
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt205 View Post

I agree with this.
Unread 09-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #15
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

DGES

Matt

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.