New Brake Booster and MC - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New Brake Booster and MC

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thi50" SINGLE ROW PANDEMIC LED Light bar FEATURES 4D Opt

Unread 03-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
AZ_Chip

1978 CJ7 

New Brake Booster and MC

There is a confusing array of brake boosters and MC's out there. Had no luck though at NAPA, Autozone, Oreillys, or Carquest. I guess a specialty 4X4 store or Ebay is the only option. But which part? 8" booster, 9"? 1" bore MC? No idea.

I have a '78 CJ 7 with AMC 360. I just want the right part. I have disc/drum. Any help appreciated.

Unread 03-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #2
zillla
1975 CJ5 

So you are looking for these parts because.......

1. Replacement?

2 Added disc/power brakes?

My 75 has factory power brakes.. I just found another combo with the same booster.. From Summit. I called about residual valves. The Summit rep said they sell no MC's with built in residual valves.

And since you are in Arizona, try Dave's Custom Unlimited in Arizona. He will fix you up
Unread 03-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #3
AZ_Chip

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillla View Post
So you are looking for these parts because.......

1. Replacement?

2 Added disc/power brakes?

My 75 has factory power brakes.. I just found another combo with the same booster.. From Summit. I called about residual valves. The Summit rep said they sell no MC's with built in residual valves.

And since you are in Arizona, try Dave's Custom Unlimited in Arizona. He will fix you up
Replacement. I already have power brakes.
Unread 03-28-2015, 05:45 PM   #4
steveojeepster
1978 CJ7 

I've heard good things about the set-up from Dave's Custom Unlimited. I, myself am trying to replace poorly chosen parts (P.O.) and think I may go this route. Chip if you end up with Dave's upgrade kit let me know how you like it.
Unread 03-28-2015, 07:10 PM   #5
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

This is probably not much help, but I had great luck for my '85/258 with Rockauto A-1 CARDONE Part # 5473565, also listed as #8133909. You might also check Tuff Stuff to see if they have a workable listing. (I have front disk, rear drums, factory power brakes)
Unread 03-28-2015, 11:14 PM   #6
commadore64

1980 CJ5 

I've been looking at something like this on eBay... anyone with any experience with something like this? How do you know what size booster to go with? 7" 8" 9"?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-CJ-8-Po...162364&vxp=mtr

"For evil to flourish, all that is needed is for good people to do nothing."
commadore64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2015, 11:18 PM   #7
ThisGuyUKnow
1985 CJ7 

If you cant find anything, you could look into a YJ or Tj booster swap as well. Might be cheaper than some of the aftermarket options.
Unread 03-29-2015, 02:16 AM   #8
AZ_Chip

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveojeepster View Post
I've heard good things about the set-up from Dave's Custom Unlimited. I, myself am trying to replace poorly chosen parts (P.O.) and think I may go this route. Chip if you end up with Dave's upgrade kit let me know how you like it.
Steve, I will. I have been researching all week. Went out and searched some junk yards. No luck yet. Will call Dave's on Monday.
Unread 03-29-2015, 02:19 AM   #9
AZ_Chip

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by commadore64 View Post
I've been looking at something like this on eBay... anyone with any experience with something like this? How do you know what size booster to go with? 7" 8" 9"?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-CJ-8-Po...162364&vxp=mtr
I believe my booster and mc are original to my Jeep. All of my parts not related to drive train seem to be original. I will measure tomorrow. I don't know how to pick one either. I have the parts manual but it makes no sense to me yet. The manual has the part breakdown but not the whole assy part number. I am sure it is there. Need to read the preamble again.
Unread 03-29-2015, 06:21 AM   #10
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I got both my Brake Booster and MC through NAPA, brand new and fit perfect. Give me a few and I will dig out my invoices from them for the part numbers.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2015, 09:00 AM   #11
2001WJv8
1983 CJ7 

the napa here sucks, they didn't know what end links were the other day and prior to that had no idea what I was describing when searching for a gasket for the m/c

i've found with those places to find the right part number online (morris 4x4 or rockauto etc for a parts diagram) then go to the countertop morons and feed it to them - that way they don't have to actually work for it
Unread 03-29-2015, 10:18 AM   #12
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

This is what I purchased.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Right+Stuff/96...-CAaAs4D8P8HAQ

I ended up calling the Right Stuff directly and they told me that I would be better off with a 1" master cylinder because of my 4 wheel disk (the kit from Jegs has a 1 1/8 master) and they matched the price and free shipping and swapped out the master for the one that would work better for me. I installed an adjustable proportioning valve because of my 4 wheel disk brakes and the setup works great. I went from being afraid to drive the jeep (when I first purchased it) it having some of the best brakes on any of the vehicles I own.

This setup has an 8" dual diaphragm which is better than a 9" single diaphragm. The setup is longer than stock from the firewall and I had to move the compressor for my ARB lockers but other than that it works great. If you have or plan on a hydraulic clutch, a 9" booster can cause problems. They also make 9" dual diaphragm boosters for Corvettes but as I understand it there is not that much of an advantage vs. the extra cost and size.
StoneTower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2015, 07:40 PM   #13
jammer1
1979 CJ7 

I've got the dual diaphragm and a 1 1/8" master cylinder from vanco. I have 33" tires. I have to be light footed on braking or I'll lock the brakes up (stock proportionate valve). For 35" tires what I have would be perfect, for 33" the 1" bore would be a better match. From what I've heard the stock power brakes have a hard time stopping the jeep with 33" (lock up) and 35" are about impossible. Going to the yj set up (only the dual diaphragm setup) is suppose to be a good setup for 33" but has problems setting up the petal throw and push rod length. If you have the money, the setup stonetower did (either through ebay or his source) is alot easier and workable. They even have a screw adjustment for the push rod length. On the cj8 I'm building I found a MC setup on ebay matching vancos setup (cj8 will have 35").
jammer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2015, 09:57 PM   #14
StoneTower
1985 CJ7 

Actually the 1" master has more stopping power than the 1-1/8 master if you have enough pedal through. It is just like a lever...the farther you move it (longer lever) the more work it will do for a given amount of pressure that is applied to it. The 1-1/8 will extend the calipers faster (with less pedal travel) but will require more foot pressure to apply a given amount of pressure at the calipers or wheel cylinders. The 1" master will require more pedal movement but will generate more pressure for the same amount of foot pressure. This is assuming that you have the same size booster and all other things like vacuum are equal.

When I purchased my Jeep, I drove it home about 160 miles and unless I used the gears, there was no way to stop the 33" tires let alone lock them up. When I test drove the Jeep, I missed the first stop bar by 4 feet (luckily it was a country road). I managed to get the Jeep home and it sat several months as I was scared to drive it. It turned out that I had a bad booster, a master cylinder that was leaking out the back into the booster (probably rotted the booster) and a proportioning valve that was mounted in the stock place on the frame that was up against the exhaust header from the 5.0 Mustang EFI conversion. I decided the best way to tackle the problem was to replace everything brake related and do it right. I also did the Chevy truck caliper conversion on the front at the same time. It worked out well in the end.

The setup from Jegs will probably work well for you but if you don't mind a little more pedal travel (personally for my setup I would not want any less) the smaller bore master cylinder will generate more pressure at the calipers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer1 View Post
I've got the dual diaphragm and a 1 1/8" master cylinder from vanco. I have 33" tires. I have to be light footed on braking or I'll lock the brakes up (stock proportionate valve). For 35" tires what I have would be perfect, for 33" the 1" bore would be a better match. From what I've heard the stock power brakes have a hard time stopping the jeep with 33" (lock up) and 35" are about impossible. Going to the yj set up (only the dual diaphragm setup) is suppose to be a good setup for 33" but has problems setting up the petal throw and push rod length. If you have the money, the setup stonetower did (either through ebay or his source) is alot easier and workable. They even have a screw adjustment for the push rod length. On the cj8 I'm building I found a MC setup on ebay matching vancos setup (cj8 will have 35").
StoneTower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2015, 05:53 AM   #15
jammer1
1979 CJ7 

You are correct on bore size (had a brain fart and reversed) The travel with the petal has me stopping at the height of the gas petal which is perfect for me. On the cj8 I got the 1 1/8" which would be good with the 35,s that will be on it (based on the performance of what I have on the cj7, 1 1/8" bore). On the cj7 I just have to be gentle because it takes very little foot pressure to lock the brakes (especially on the freeway when you come up on slow traffic).
jammer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.