New axles for my CJ question's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New axles for my CJ question's

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 03-03-2014, 10:13 PM   #1
cookingguy
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

New axles for my CJ question's

So I have found a DANA 60 rear- end and a dana 44 front-end. The current spring perches are 30.5 inches apart and the perches are 3 inches wide and the front axle is 54 inches wide and the rear is 55 inches wide. Will this set up work or am going to have to change the perches and where they are mounted on the axle? If I have to change the location of the perches how do I go about figuring out where they need to be located.

cookingguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 05:47 AM   #2
cookingguy
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

Anybody
Unread 03-04-2014, 09:38 AM   #3
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Going off memory, I think the CJ front perches are 2" wide and 28" apart, and the rears are 2.5" wide and 36" apart. So, it sounds like you will need to remove them, cut them smaller, and re-weld them in the proper place.

I've never relocated spring perches, so I can't comment on the best way to do it. I'd probably mock everything up, with axles, springs, and driveshafts in place, then weld the perches where they need to be.

Perhaps CSP, or others with experience, will chime in with a better approach.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #4
CSP

I wish I had a nickel for every time I've answered the OP's questions.

That said I believe that the 30.5" apart isn't measured center to center and it's really 31.5" compared to a CJs 27.5"

There's no information about what the axles are out of given and there's so much information already on this site that I'm going to pull the "use the search button" card this time. Just tired of typing the same info over and over again.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #5
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Not sure the OP is in the correct forum. Is the OP wanting to put these axles on a CJ (if so what model/year might be helpful), or on the 79 Cherokee listed in the profile?
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #6
cookingguy
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

They are going into a 83 cj5 and are coming out of an old toyot fj not sure of the year on the fj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.