New axle?? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New axle??

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 03-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #46
yellowdog44
1976 CJ5 

I took your advice and received my replacement 1 piece axles in today. I plan to install tomorrow, started planning and getting things ready and got immediately stuck. With the hub already removed from the axle, how do I get the shaft out? Nothing for the slide hammer to bolt to now?? Any ideas?

yellowdog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 08:00 PM   #47
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

If you have the old hub, just slip it on and screw the old nut back on hand tight. Bolt the slide hammer axle puller with the old lug nuts and hammer away. Some times you can just use the old hub as sort of a slide hammer by banging it against the axle nut. If you don't have the old hub, screw the axle nut on and grab it with the slide hammer gear puller attachment.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 08:15 PM   #48
yellowdog44
1976 CJ5 

OMG that's too easy. I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks so much. I'm going to do that right now
Unread 03-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #49
yellowdog44
1976 CJ5 

Used the hub as slide hammer and it worked after 3 tries. Thanks again. I'm off to install the axles right now Too pumped.
Unread 07-06-2014, 09:13 AM   #50
yellowdog44
1976 CJ5 

Sorry, in all my excitement I forgot to post results. Happy to say I've been driving her since that day. Axle shaft was the problem the whole time. Thanks very much for the responses and advice. You guys are good.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.