New axle?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New axle??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-02-2014, 08:52 PM   #16
yellowdog44
1976 CJ5 

Saying my trans/tcase and clutch is working properly... My question is, if the stripped axle is spinning inside hub would the locker lock and lock other axle? I am just wondering as I removed trans/tcase/clutch last night and was thinking about towing to trans shop for further diagnosis. If this is possible I will surely re-install trans/tcase/clutch/drive shafts replace axles and see if this solves the issue.

yellowdog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 10:56 PM   #17
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

What kind of locker is it?
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2014, 11:08 PM   #18
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
Installing 1pc axles requires the removal of the spacer block in the middle of the diff.
Removal of the spacer block is not a requirement with the installation of 1 piece axles. It only needs to be removed if both axle shafts bottom out on the spacer block.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2014, 07:16 AM   #19
yellowdog44
1976 CJ5 

Its a limited slip differential.
yellowdog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #20
jammer1

If you have the trans and transfer case out you have a choice. If it's time to have them rebuilt (or you want them rebuilt to make better, lower gears etc) take them to the trans shop and have them rebuilt. If you have no need to get them rebuilt (unless broke), put them back in the jeep. I'm taking a good guess that the trans shop can't do a evaluation unless in the jeep or they open them up. Once together, leave on jack stands, put in 4 wheel drive and see if you can shift like you normally would. If front works and rear spins on the stripped axle replace axles with one piece (you will have to replace both with one pc. or replace the stripped one with original 2 pc). If you want to play around, put the stripped hub back on. If you have a welder, spot weld it enough to be able to get on the road or do the brakes like explained above. This will temp. take the axle out of the equation. You don't want to weld solid since you are going to take apart again. (a quick temp fix to get off the trail if someone has a welder on the trail).
jammer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #21
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdog44 View Post
Limited slips will turn fairly easily if one of completely off the ground. They need one to at least have some resistance to help engage the clutches.

You can test the trans/xcase fairly easily - put it in gear and if it locks from to rear and it open it neutral it is not your problem.

I am 99.99% sure it is your axle now.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #22
jammer1

If the axle was not spun, the brakes would allow torque to be distributed between the wheels (as a way to see if slippage is from the clutch pressure plate having enough pressure to lock the clutch disk. Just a quick way to make sure clutch is engaging since it was not stalling out in gear at a stop (my understanding off earlier post).
Unread 03-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #23
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdog44 View Post
That is not a locker. When the key breaks and the hub spins on a 2-piece axle, a LS differential (particularly one that has some miles on it) will not transfer enough power to the good axle shaft for the vehicle to drive normally. My guess is you tore apart your clutch for nothing. The easiest diagnosis would have been to look at the drive shaft (if the shaft is turning but the vehicle is not moving, the problem is not the clutch).

Put it back together and leave out the rear driveshaft... put TC in 4HI and drive it to the axle shop in front wheel drive.
Unread 03-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #24
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

In post #10 he said he tried 4L, 4H and nothing so must be the clutch unless he forgot to lock the hubs.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #25
jammer1

That's why I thought to look under jeep (safely) while running in gear (since he had it running in gear but barely moving). if he had in 4 hi, front should be working. 80cj, I think were on the same page.
Unread 03-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #26
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer1 View Post
That's why I thought to look under jeep (safely) while running in gear (since he had it running in gear but barely moving). if he had in 4 hi, front should be working. 80cj, I think were on the same page.
He also said he does not have a front driveshaft.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #27
jammer1

My boob

My Boob! I didn't see that. Put her on the stands (safety first), start her like before and look at the front yoke. She should be turning like the front axle would (just different gear ratio).
Unread 03-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #28
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
He also said he does not have a front driveshaft.

Good point.... guess it would be hard to drive to the shop in front wheel drive without the driveshaft.

Gonna need a tow (although a used front driveshaft may be less expensive).
Unread 03-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #29
jammer1

If the front driveshaft was disconnected theirs probably a reason. If he's got a problem with the front axle the driveshaft may not be any help. It would be helpful to know more. I've also heard of people on the trail tightening up the axle nut as tight as they can and then driving (spinning the axle). sometimes the heat can temp. seize them together. hopefully enough to limp to a shop if he can't do the axle repair himself (another reason if he can weld or knows someone with a portable welder to spot weld the hub to the shaft so he would know if clutch is ok and limp to a repair shop).
Unread 03-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #30
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I think I would short cut all this and just repair the axle. It needs to be done anyway. Having had them break on me I can see how it could be easily confused with a clutch issue, and Bagusjeep has a LSD in the rear.

As the clucth is off it is a good opportunity to inspect it. If the disc and pressure plate are in good condition and the flywheel surface is smooth I would bolt it back on. Sometimes there are issues with the fitting of the release bearing and arm but these can be seen from under the Jeep. I have also seen problems with the linkage which caused slip, my new J20 had a hydraulic clutch whose arm was so long the clutch was permanenetly partly disengaged, slipped uphill.

I suspect that once the shaft is replaced, the whole drivetrain will work again.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.