New axle?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New axle??

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #1
yellowdog44
1976 CJ5 

New axle??

I jacked up the rear end of my cj yesterday for some maintenance. Happened to bump my passenger rear wheel and noticed play. I then pulled the wheel to see why - maybe I need to tighten axle nut and found this... Any ideas as to why this would happen? Do I need a new axle now? Any help is greatly appreciated.

axle.jpg

axle-2.jpg

yellowdog44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdog44 View Post
Any ideas as to why this would happen?
It was a poor design by AMC. What you have is a very common problem. Get yourself a pair of 1-piece axle shafts.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Yes time for some of these:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/yukon-1...rp-yah21l.html

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrai...G%2f296-2025-1
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #4
yellowdog44
1976 CJ5 

Thanks for responding. I have about 150 miles on this axle prior to this happening, I was thinking I must have done something incorrectly. I remember having the exact issue on my previous set of Amc 20 axles prior to swap - driver side though.

If I went with the suggested axle above, do you know if I would need to replace both sides at the same time? I would assume so but if I could hold off on an additional $160 for a few it would be better for the checkbook.
Unread 03-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

They are sold as a set.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #6
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

I think you do have to replace both if you change to one piece.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #7
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Installing 1pc axles requires the removal of the spacer block in the middle of the diff. With out this, the 2pc axles will not be set up correctly.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #8
yellowdog44
1976 CJ5 

Ok thanks. I will get to ordering

My biggest problem is my clutch. Flywheel resurfaced, new centerforce pressure plate and clutch, hydraulic slave cylinder. Worked for a week. On way to work it slipped once around a corner, caught and worked the rest of the way perfect. When I hopped in to leave that evening, could hardly even get it to move when in gear. Pulled everything down, inspected everything, cleaned surfaces, replaced clutch slave cylinder, installed everything again - nothing changed. At a loss. Inspected everything centerforce suggested and no evidence of wear or damage. Does anyone have any ideas? I can't help but feel like she's fighting me for some reason...
Unread 03-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #9
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdog44 View Post
Ok thanks. I will get to ordering

My biggest problem is my clutch. Flywheel resurfaced, new centerforce pressure plate and clutch, hydraulic slave cylinder. Worked for a week. On way to work it slipped once around a corner, caught and worked the rest of the way perfect. When I hopped in to leave that evening, could hardly even get it to move when in gear. Pulled everything down, inspected everything, cleaned surfaces, replaced clutch slave cylinder, installed everything again - nothing changed. At a loss. Inspected everything centerforce suggested and no evidence of wear or damage. Does anyone have any ideas? I can't help but feel like she's fighting me for some reason...
external or internal slave? If external I would remove the slave and start it in gear and see if moves. Make sure you are prepared for it to move of course. If it does you have something wrong there, I cannot see any other reason for it to slip that much.

Dumb question but you are sure you tcase is not in N?
Unread 03-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #10
yellowdog44
1976 CJ5 

Thanks for responding. I actually removed the slave cylinder completely and tried that. It will start when in gear. You can feel the jeep move slightly but doesn't totally engage. When the slave cylinder was installed I could get clutch to grip enough to back out but driveway is on a slight decline. Had to push it back in garage... TC is not in N. Tried 4L, 4H, and 2 with same results.
Unread 03-02-2014, 08:07 PM   #11
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Hang on, was this before yesterday when you found the axle???????

Are you sure it is the clutch and not just the axle spinning inside the hub?

When the axle to hub connection starts to go you often get a creaking sound, as the parts start to move, then a clacking sound as the splines start to slip and then an occassional momentary loss of drive and slipping, especially uphill, before complete loss of drive. You could be confusing clutch slip with AMC20 2 piece slip.

If it had been together I would have suggested trying it in 4WD with the hubs locked, the front axle may have pulled it out of the driveway.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #12
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
Hang on, was this before yesterday when you found the axle???????

Are you sure it is the clutch and not just the axle spinning inside the hub?

When the axle to hub connection starts to go you often get a creaking sound, as the parts start to move, then a clacking sound as the splines start to slip and then an occassional momentary loss of drive and slipping, especially uphill, before complete loss of drive. You could be confusing clutch slip with AMC20 2 piece slip.

If it had been together I would have suggested trying it in 4WD, the front axle may have pulled it out of the driveway.
Good call, I let myself get switched on to the clutch subject but I would guess you are right. Hopefully he really only has one problem to fix.
Unread 03-02-2014, 08:21 PM   #13
jammer1

If you can start it in gear and it doesn't stall and barely moves (if I got this correct), can you put her on jack stands, starter her and put the parking brake on (if you can figure a way with you're axle, or after you fix the axle). If she's in gear with resistance on the rear brakes (not turning). See if you can look up at the pressure plate and input shaft. If pressure plate is turning (has to be) and the input shaft is not, clutch is slipping (like the pressure plate isn't clamping down on the clutch disk with enough pressure). If input shaft is turning and it's not getting to the wheels, another problem.
jammer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #14
yellowdog44
1976 CJ5 

Brilliant! Only I have a locker in the rear axle so if the one axle was spinning, wouldn't the other shaft lock and move the jeep? I can spin the axle when off the ground and the other tire spins. That would rule out bad gearing in pumpkin. Holy crap, that would explain how it would slip and then grab if the hub was momentarily spinning and then grabbing once more. Is this what you are talking about? I said earlier I had tried 4wd but it wouldn't have even mattered in this scenario since I don't have a front drive shaft at this time (one of the things left on the list). I think that this is almost certainly the solution if the part about my rear locker doesn't wrench it up.
Unread 03-02-2014, 09:32 PM   #15
jammer1

If you could put the parking brake on with the jeep on jack stands and the engine continued running in gear it would be a way to see if the clutch disk/pressure plate was slipping (input shaft would not be turning) or if the input shaft was turning (rear wheels still with parking brake on) then something else in the trans, transfer, is not gripping or broke. If I have my jeep on stands and put in gear (automatic trans), I can put the parking brake on to stop wheels turning. When working on jeep and it's up, I do this to adjust idle speed in gear. When you said you had it on the ground, in gear and engine running I figured a safe way to climb under it to see where it's slipping. Because the hub is off on the rear axle, I was afraid this there's no way to put the brakes on both rear wheels. If you can temp. put the hub on tight enough too hold with the brakes in gear this would help answer what's slipping. Otherwise you can try it after the one piece axle swap. All I know is you should not be able to have engine running and in gear with wheels not turning unless trans or transfer case in neutral or clutch engaged.
jammer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.