New aluminum valve cover doesn't fit?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New aluminum valve cover doesn't fit??

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 06-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

New aluminum valve cover doesn't fit??

I have a clearwater 4.0 conversion head and the red aluminum valve cover from Crown doesn't fit? Plus I cant tell why, at first I thought it was the rocker bridges hitting but its not. all the bolt holes look dead on it just wont sit down completely onto the head.

supersport126 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

See how the end of the valve cover is tapered down in the front is it like that in the back that taper could be the cause.
Unread 06-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

What valve springs are you running?
It is known that some larger diameter springs interfere with the valve cover.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
I6CJ7
1984 CJ7 

My guess is the baffles for that valve cover ports (pcv and vent) hang lower and are hitting. What gasket do you have? The cork gaskets add quite a bit of height that may clearance it.
I6CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
james04si

1977 CJ5 

Agree with gmakra. I have the Clearwater head with as valves and had to grind down the valve cover around a couple of the valves for it to sit correctly. There is plenty of meat on the valve cover and it just needs a little grinding to sit flush.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

It's not the ports, those I could measure. I'll try put some masking tape across the valve springs and see if I notice any marking after setting the cover back on
Unread 06-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

I gotta ask. Why do you have the bridge cut off #1
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #8
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboto65 View Post
See how the end of the valve cover is tapered down in the front is it like that in the back that taper could be the cause.
Yes its taped in the rear also
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
What valve springs are you running?
It is known that some larger diameter springs interfere with the valve cover.
what ever springs Clearwater uses (I dont know)

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliewood61 View Post
I gotta ask. Why do you have the bridge cut off #1
Good eye, stupid me thought it was hitting the bridges so I cut one to find out......I have another on order
Unread 06-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

What year is the head setup? As those valve covers are said to usually only fit 93-04*ish.
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #10
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

Not sure what year, it's not stamped. It's whatever year Clearwater uses . Gonna mask off the inside of cover and see if I can notice where it's hitting when I get home today.
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #11
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

I'd be trying to get a hold of Clearwater and ask.
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

Clearwater wouldn't even tell me what springs they used...trust me they aren't too helpful. I bought a 500 head and had to do 300 dollars worth of head work for it to work with my cam....( long story)
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #13
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

Well got around to masking the inside of valve cover and looks like the first and last valve spring retainers are hitting. I'm gonna first file the outside where it's tight against the ARP head bolts (drivers side) and then try and carefully grind the inside a bit

Unread 06-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #14
james04si

1977 CJ5 

Sounds good. That's exactly what I did. Like I said that valve cover has plenty you can take off and as you can see it really doesn't need that much to work. I used an air die grinder and had no issues.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #15
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersport126 View Post
Clearwater wouldn't even tell me what springs they used...trust me they aren't too helpful. I bought a 500 head and had to do 300 dollars worth of head work for it to work with my cam....( long story)
Now now, we did determine part of that whole debacle was due to them not having received all the pertinent info......

As for the interference, it is a pretty well documented problem in the stroker community and came up in several google searches when I was researching cams for my head swap. So it's not specific to clearwater heads, per se.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.