New Alternator or New Voltage Regulator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New Alternator or New Voltage Regulator

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
wrobleskis
1982 CJ7 

New Alternator or New Voltage Regulator

Well, It looks like my Voltage regulator is acting up. I'm getting 16+ volts.

I am wondering if I should change out the Voltage Regulator or just get a new alternator.

I have an 82 CJ7 with 258 I6 and Junkyard TBI.

I do not know how new or old the existing alternator is. It appears to be stock type. I don't plan on adding any electronics that would require a power upgrade.

Looks like $25 for the regulator and $50 for the alternator.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

wrobleskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

i have a 84 model jeep and i thought the voltage regulator was internal on my alternator???

maybe its not, but i was having the same issues, voltage meter going high.

have live time unit from autozone and they just swapped it out.
no problems.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The voltage regulator in this year was internal to the alternator. (Item 6 in this diagram from the parts manual)

It is worth checking for $50 whether this includes all this gubbins, I would expect it to. Unless you were a bit handy with electrical gear it may be just plain easier to replace the entire unit. For $50 you will get a reliable source of power which may outlast the vehicle.
alternator-82-86.jpg  

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

The vr on my alt is on the outside on my 82. I guess whatever they had lying around they put in.
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Or it has been changed by a PO, the swines.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 03:58 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejeeperguy View Post
The vr on my alt is on the outside on my 82. I guess whatever they had lying around they put in.
Are you sure? That is a 'real' old way of doing it, they changed over to AC Delco alternators in the late 70's.

That part on the fender that looks something like a regulator is actually an emissions driver for the carb on the emissions cusp year of 81/82.

If you have 2 wires coming off the back of the alternator, you have the AC Delco one.

A high volt reading can simply be a loose alternator belt. They slip under load and the volts go high trying to make up for it. A dirty battery cable connection can also cause this. To test the belt, I take a cold off engine and see if I can hand slip the alternator pulley. If I can the belt either needs tightening or if tight it has become polished up and needs replacing. they polish up easy. Mud = liquid sandpaper.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrobleskis View Post
Well, It looks like my Voltage regulator is acting up. I'm getting 16+ volts.

I am wondering if I should change out the Voltage Regulator or just get a new alternator.

I have an 82 CJ7 with 258 I6 and Junkyard TBI.

I do not know how new or old the existing alternator is. It appears to be stock type. I don't plan on adding any electronics that would require a power upgrade.

Looks like $25 for the regulator and $50 for the alternator.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott
I don't want to sound like a broken record...

But since you have TBI, it would be advisible to swtich your alternator.

The Delco SI series does NOT have a rectifier that gets along with electronic fuel injection very well.

A better swap would be to a CS alternator with regulation/rectification that gets along much better with fuel injection and charges better at lower RPMs.

-----------------------

If you rebuild/replace your alternator, make sure you add a dedicated ground wire to the case back to the primary 'Ground' or battery terminal...
This will give you MUCH better voltage control, your regulator will last longer, and it won't be nearly as hard on the Fuel Injection Computer when the initial voltage spike happens as the alternator starts charging.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator , voltage regulator

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.