New 77 CJ5 project - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-12-2017, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
FrontierGander
1973 CJ5 

New 77 CJ5 project

A couple months back my brother won this 77 cj5 on an online auction. One owner, 36,000 original miles, bought it off the owner who bought it brand new! She needed some minor work, mostly replacing 40 year old axle seals, brakes, master cylinder and going the normal tune up to ensure everything was sound. The original owner also had power steering installed.

258 - 3 speed

She purrs pretty and smooth. May have to add a muffler down the road as its starting to rattle inside there after all these years.

Before

After ( still in progress ) New rims and 31x10.50r15 dirt commander tires. It really beefed up the stance compared to those ugly white steel rims. Monroe shocks are a huge difference maker too. I mistakenly put KYB shocks on my 73 and you feel EVERYTHING. I'll change that soon on mine!

Now to make sure the floor doesn't ever rust out... Rhino liner or what is actually good? I don't want cheap crap that flakes or peels off with easy use.

Took a quick pic of the engine bay too before its pressured washed and detailed. Seriously considered pulling the motor so we could paint it black. More work than its worth, i know...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-13-2017, 01:19 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It's perfect. Don't ruin it with bed-liner.

Just my 2 pennies and a pocket full of lint,

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 Old 10-13-2017, 06:31 AM
STJP
Web Wheeler

Bed liner is loved by all BUT those whom value original Jeeps and those that find they need to repair it or (god forbid) remove it. Also future buyers will want to know what is hidden under it.

If you don't allow water to sit under floor mats or carpet why would it rust?

Make sure any carpets or mats you use are removable so when the floors do get wet, carpets etc can be removed and thus allow the floors to dry.

BTW very nice CJ5. CJs in that condition are getting rare and valuable. I suggest anything you change be such that can be easily reversed and make sure you keep ALL oem parts that you remove regardless of condition.

Cheers,

JS

post #4 of 9 Old 10-13-2017, 08:55 AM
HackFabrication

1976 CJ5 

Beautiful '77 CJ5! (I own a 76 CJ5) Nice to see one with a factory tailgate, as a lot of them were built with a solid steel panel in the back. I hope you didn't toss those OEM 'steelies' in the scrap pile. Personally, I'd just clean it up, and drive it. Fix the items that need fixing, and forget about doing any sort of 'upgrades' to it. Does it have disc brakes on the front? If not, that's an upgrade I would consider doing.

I had Scorpion bed liner sprayed in and under the tub on my 76 (it's got a 'new' steel tub). But, like other's have posted, it is a personal thing.

BTW: The 76-77 model years have a lot of parts that are unique to those years. And some parts won't exchange even between 76/77 models. Mostly gas tank items.

The heater boxes are also unique to the 76/77 models. They are a re-design of the the 72-75 models, and are not the same as the later (78-86) models.

"In the end...It's all Hack."
post #5 of 9 Old 10-13-2017, 09:13 AM
WindKnot
1977 CJ7 

Those white wheels are valuable. Don't toss them!

I'd rather be lost on the trails than found at home!

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration?
post #6 of 9 Old 10-13-2017, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
FrontierGander
1973 CJ5 

Oh I wont be tossing them. They weigh about 200lbs EACH as the owner used the jeep to show property with. He had them foam filled. I'll be selling them off locally. We've repainted the rims gloss black. I had envisioned the black/chrome look and we figured that was the best way before buying new rims. A huge difference maker.

No rust or rot on her. The floor pans look perfect other than where a side step made a dent from a washer that was to small. We'll fix that up and reinstall the steps.

As for the liner, What if we just did where your feet sit? You know how the water/mud can settle and cause some issues. I made sure to make a ton of pictures, including of the floor in case he ever goes to sell it.

Yes, factory installed front disk brakes.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-13-2017, 02:04 PM
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

It's a shame you took off the white wheels, they would have looked fantastic with those new tires.

And yes, please do NOT do any of the interior with bed liner. You'd be better to just keep it clean and wax once in a while.

Keep a decent floor mat in there instead

Hoss

"Gimme three gallons of low lead; two hot dogs and a strawberry soda..."JGW
post #8 of 9 Old 10-13-2017, 02:30 PM
WindKnot
1977 CJ7 

the reason why everyone is telling you not to bedline, is because it has become a notorious method of hiding rust or a bad rust repair job. For those in the know, it screams "Run away as fast as you can!".

You're MUCH better off with some decent floor liners.

I'd rather be lost on the trails than found at home!

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration?
post #9 of 9 Old 10-16-2017, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
FrontierGander
1973 CJ5 

well i think with good detailed pictures, its not going to hurt a thing, this baby is rust free inside and out. I hate having water puddle up on the flood boards, thats when the issues really start to take place. I think we'll just do the floor pan where you feet sit and leave it at that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.