New 75 CJ5 Owner and need a crash couse - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New 75 CJ5 Owner and need a crash couse

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #1
danarchist

New 75 CJ5 Owner and need a crash couse

I just got a stock 75 CJ5 and i am just looking for any nuance for that year i should be aware of

I have driven wranglers and Cherokees varying from 88-2008 but am unfamiliar with this generation.

I want to baby the CJ and my main question is about the 4WD transfer. Is it like the 4wd transfer in later models, driving for 4H and complete stop for 4L>? or is there another process for it>?

But any other information would be greatly appreciated. It is a great Jeep and I want to have for a very long time.

cj5.jpg   cjint.jpg  
danarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

The only thing you really need to know is to open your wallet, and take everything out of it. Now take a good look in the wallet. That's what it's going to look like as long as you own it. Sweet Jeep!
Unread 06-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
firewalker909
Ok, one more.

1973 CJ5 

Welcome to JeepForum and congratulations. That is a great looking CJ5. The biggest nuance with that year is availability of some parts. That is considered an intermediate CJ built from '72-'75.

In regards to your question about the transfer case, it looks like your CJ5 is stock, so you should be running the Dana 20 TC. It is a non-synchronized transfer case. You need to be stopped to move it in or out of any transfer case position. No shifting on the fly.

Be sure to fill out your profile. It makes it easier for others to answer your questions if the specs are already listed.
firewalker909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
tonkatrucksryan

2014 JK Wrangler 

Welcome and Congrats!!! I Love my 75!!!!

26 Years USAF Retired 1MAY14

Past Jeeps:
04 TJ Rub,05 TJ, 75CJ5, 88YJ
tonkatrucksryan is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
robs7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereussailor
The only thing you really need to know is to open your wallet, and take everything out of it. Now take a good look in the wallet. That's what it's going to look like as long as you own it. Sweet Jeep!
J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket

That's pretty much how I was introduced!
Rob
robs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
CSP

If the hubs are locked in you can shift in and out of 4Hi at just about any speed. The internal parts will be turning at the same speed in that situation. I do it regularly on my '75 in the winter when the roads are sketchy with snow.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
firewalker909
Ok, one more.

1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
If the hubs are locked in you can shift in and out of 4Hi at just about any speed. The internal parts will be turning at the same speed in that situation. I do it regularly on my '75 in the winter when the roads are sketchy with snow.
Good point. Trying to move that D20 lever forward while driving seems like it might be a bit tricky. Of course my linkage is really sloppy which makes it difficult at any speed and I don't have to worry about snow around here.
firewalker909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #8
steve1973
1973 CJ5 

Keep it stock and you will be amazed out how reliable and trouble free an intermediate can be. On my 1973 which also had a plow every mod I did was to modernize certain components for reliability. A weber 34 carb, Pertronix points replacement and an MSD 6 digital are the modernazations I did. Most plow Jeeps havent been 4-wheeled hard due to the PIA of removing the plow hardware every time you wanted the ground clearance. I removed the plow and sold for scrap. Yours looks much better, but do you really want to plow with a manual trans and manual steering. Thats a real work out.
steve1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danarchist View Post
I just got a stock 75 CJ5 and i am just looking for any nuance for that year i should be aware of

I have driven wranglers and Cherokees varying from 88-2008 but am unfamiliar with this generation.

I want to baby the CJ and my main question is about the 4WD transfer. Is it like the 4wd transfer in later models, driving for 4H and complete stop for 4L>? or is there another process for it>?

But any other information would be greatly appreciated. It is a great Jeep and I want to have for a very long time.
Congrats! I saw this on CL for a while now, and glad someone semi-local bought it and will be active on the forum.
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Nice looking 75. Mine's not nearly in as good of shape.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #11
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeprage View Post
Congrats! I saw this on CL for a while now, and glad someone semi-local bought it and will be active on the forum.
x2!!!! congrats & good luck with it!

We're having a CJ meet & greet in Canton, MA rt 138 on June 22nd...a little hike depending on where in the Cape you live but if you can, bring it on by!!!
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.