New 2.5 BDS lift one side higher - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > New 2.5 BDS lift one side higher

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-01-2015, 09:16 AM   #1
mlevario99
1978 CJ7 

New 2.5 BDS lift one side higher

Good morning, I finish the installation of a new BDS 2.5 inches lift kit on my 78 CJ7 and add new tires and wheels as well. I notice the jeep looks higher on the "passenger" side, I measure the height at the body mounts and I notice is about 1 inch difference, I also measure the angle of the rear shackles and they are different.
Has anyone had this issue? How can I solve it.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by mlevario99; 03-02-2015 at 05:38 PM..
mlevario99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2015, 09:22 AM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Make sure your shackle and hanger bolts aren't torqued too tight.

If that's not it, you could swap springs, left to right. If it leans the other way, the springs are arced differently, and should be returned.

If you swap the springs left to right and it still leans in the same direction, then your frame may be tweaked. Search the term "Jeep Lean" for more info.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2015, 11:43 AM   #3
NATIVEOYSTERMAN
Jet Pilot
1979 CJ7 

My BDS lift on my 79 was spot on
NATIVEOYSTERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #4
zillla
1975 CJ5 

Mine was like that for a while.. But then leveled out.. These days if I get a lean it's the spring bushings.. Worn out. Usually about once a year.

Or take it to your nearest dealer,
ALAMO AUTO SUPPLY
5923 Gateway West
El Paso, TX 79925

Phone915-781-0500
Unread 03-02-2015, 02:12 PM   #5
mlevario99
1978 CJ7 

Thanks, I am going to do what Matt1981 is reccomending, hopefully that will work, I hope is not the frame.

Here are some pictures of the jeep, before and after.

Unread 03-02-2015, 03:05 PM   #6
macscal
1978 CJ5 

I'm familiar with the jeep lean, but throwing this out there...

If OP is 1 inch high on driver side (I'm assuming empty of passengers), what would it look like with the driver behind the wheel?

Just thinking out loud

Sent from So. Cal using JeepForum
macscal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2015, 03:11 PM   #7
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The OPs rig looks to be higher on the passenger side, not the drivers, but perhaps it's the pic angle. Dunno

Matt
Unread 03-02-2015, 05:37 PM   #8
mlevario99
1978 CJ7 

Matt1981 you are correct, is higher on the passenger, when I added this post I forgot which side was higher.
Unread 03-02-2015, 05:49 PM   #9
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I hate to tell you this. Your CJ has the classic "Jeep Lean". I hope that's not what it is.

It was caused by a factory defect in the frames. Some claim they got twisted in shipping, but who knows.

Anyway they all leaned the same way as yours does. AMC's fix was to place a shim at the passenger rear spring perch. Apparently this flexed the suspension enough to level the body out.

Let us know what you find out when you flip-flop the springs.

Matt
Unread 03-02-2015, 06:09 PM   #10
Partsmke
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I hate to tell you this. Your CJ has the classic "Jeep Lean". I hope that's not what it is.

It was caused by a factory defect in the frames. Some claim they got twisted in shipping, but who knows.

Anyway they all leaned the same way as yours does. AMC's fix was to place a shim at the passenger rear spring perch. Apparently this flexed the suspension enough to level the body out.

Let us know what you find out when you flip-flop the springs.

Matt
Matt the shim actually lowers the spring itself as the springs are below the axle. Jeep CJ frames are not very sturdy, broken spring and shackle hangers are common. A couple of old Jeep quotes; If the Jeep is not leaking gear oil from the transmission/transfer case area one of them is probably empty and If it's leaning it's still stock.
I had a CJ6 (1956) one frame rail was 1" forward of the other, it was stock, never wrecked.
Partsmke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2015, 06:25 PM   #11
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Mike,

Yes, the shim does lower the passenger spring. Wouldn't that compress the passenger side slightly and flex the driver's side, thereby leveling the body?

Also, I don't think all CJ frames came this way, and not all CJs inherently lean like that over time, as your quote implies. It's obvious on the frames that were affected. There are write-ups in which guys have cut, re-squared, and welded their frames straight, instead of using the shim.

Anyway, I hope the OP finds out it's something else. If he's anything like me, the lean is bugging the crap out of him.

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.