Nervous at 55 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Nervous at 55

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-07-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
dbd
1979 CJ5 

Nervous at 55

Hay Guys, was out driving yesterday to do some trails in the tahoe national forrest and when running at 50 to 55 on the road the front end gets waggy. She starts moving from left to right and the over steer which is substantially better with the new steering box was improved but...

could this be tire allignment, have never had it done?
a few details, she is a 79 cj-5 with I-6 and 35 tires with 1 in body lift, pretty much stock from there. any suggestions?

While we were out yesterday running around the trails in the TNF, some guy comes flying around a blind corner on a dirt road and nails us head on! Ouch, no body injured, stoved in the front of his ranger to the radiator, and bent my newly inslalled front bumper..... bummmer. Guy was going about 30 and we were just pooping along at about 10 in granny and bam!!

Guess I will be tearing it down one more time....

dbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #2
mud_dog57
1984 CJ7 

i would for sure get the front end allignment done after that. or you could check to see how much tow you have on the front wheels.
Unread 09-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #3
dustbag
1977 CJ5 

I have a 77 cj 5 with a built 360. . Stock height, running 31/10.5/ 15 tires. I installed power steering, new tie rods, new ball joints, new spindle bearings, new front axle universals and had an alignment done. Before this, she wandered a lot. After I can drive at 65 with one hand down the highway. Almost every weekend, we run 1:45 min ride to the beach, all highway. I love driving it now! It dives better than my 2005 F250. That thing has terrible bump steer. The next thing is the breaks.
dustbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
IDK

Ouch, is your Jeep okay? Did it out-tough that Ford?
IDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I'm confused, I didn't see anything about a jeep getting hurt by a truck.
Unread 09-08-2009, 09:33 PM   #6
dbd
1979 CJ5 

Well makes sense, guess I need to look further into front end parts like tie rods, ball joints, etc.

She starts to wander at 55 mph and at 60 she is hitting the lines on both sides, back and forth.... firm grip, two hands and if I have to avoid something, uh-o

Any how the head on crash suppriesd me how well the jeep took a hit, but the ford ranger had a crushed in front end all way to the radiator which was leaking from hitting the fan, glad it was a off road so the other guy was going probably 30 mph, any how have to do another bumper replacement.
dbd is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.