JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Neewbie, All day on the cj and nothing to show for it. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/neewbie-all-day-cj-nothing-show-1472956/)

Heyjack 02-02-2013 06:45 PM

Neewbie, All day on the cj and nothing to show for it.

Started early, planned to install new aluminum valve cover, new hei dist and rebuild carb. Got some stuff removed, had to make trip for tap, po had holes on head messed up had to up a size in bolts. Got back worked a little more, had to make another trip for parts, got traffic ticket while on that trip, got new valve cover on, not tight yet though. Old dist ready to come out but didn't make it to install new one. Sat down to rebuild carb, had wrong kit so just called it a day. So pretty much nothing to show for day under the hood, but somehow working on this thing is enjoyable. Maybe I'll make a little progress this next week, but it seems a wasted day on the cj5 sure beats working. Still hope to be daily driving by end of march.

skizriz 02-02-2013 06:59 PM

I learned to do each job separately. Even drive it a day or two between jobs.
That way if it runs bad, you aren't going back through fuel and spark issues trying to track down the problem.

You'll have those days where you seem to be going backwards, have a beer, relax, and have another go at it tomorrow.:cheers2:

teh603 02-02-2013 07:13 PM

That's ok. I've put in several days on the Tux-in-a-barn without much to show just yet. Feels like just getting it up on stands was a monolithic feat. You'll start making progress soon enough.

Crazyray2929 02-02-2013 08:15 PM

I don't always work on the wife's jeep but when I do....

jimdubose 02-02-2013 08:16 PM

seems to me like you need a good dose of Jerry to chase those CJ blues into a corner somewhere:

Heyjack 02-02-2013 08:51 PM

Thanks

Crazyray2929 02-03-2013 12:13 PM

I see in your future...
Your fixin something...
You decide to replace another part while you have it taken apart...
The auto parts store does not stock the part you need to put it all back together...
So you have to order the said part and wait for it to arrive...
If your lucky the part will be correct.

my_304_cj7 02-03-2013 02:20 PM

I can relate. I was doing some work on and behind the dash so I decided to remove it. It should not have taken long at all. It ended up taking a week because the steering wheel would not come loose. I broke two steering wheel pullers, had to drill and tap new holes in the steering wheel for the puller, get carbide drill bits to drill out the broken steering wheel puller bolts and that was only after ruining HSS and cobalt bits. I was torquing so hard on the puller that it deformed the shaft and the lock nut would not go back on so I had to buy a die to fix the threads on the shaft.

bdb86cj 02-03-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skizriz (Post 14896998)
I learned to do each job separately. Even drive it a day or two between jobs.
That way if it runs bad, you aren't going back through fuel and spark issues trying to track down the problem.

You'll have those days where you seem to be going backwards, have a beer, relax, and have another go at it tomorrow.:cheers2:

I'm with this guy. Even though is seems as soon as you start working on something with an old Jeep you find something else that needs fixin', try to limit how much you are trying to accomplish at one time. Especially if you are doing engine or electrical work. That way if something is wrong you know where to start instead of having to go through everything you tried to do at once.

bear991 02-03-2013 06:32 PM

It was a day spent working on your jeep....no matter what you did or didn't get done....It was a good day! Just my .02

The time now is 08:43 AM.