Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

need wiring diagram

8K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  pistol 
#1 ·
i have tryed the search with no luck if anyone has a basic motor and starter harnesses it would help alot thanks

#2 ·
You won't find a lot of YJ stuff over here in the CJ section...
Sorry.

This *MIGHT* Help, don't know how similar your YJ will be to a CJ...

Jeep DuraSpark ignition, *IF* you still have one in '90...
The 'Violet' wire in this diagram will go through a timing computer before it gets to your ignition module.

-----------------------------------------

This is the basic Start/Charge system in a CJ, don't know if it will help in your YJ,

---------------------------------------

This is the alternator wiring in the later versions of the CJ with the Delco 10-SI alternator.

---------------------------------

Is this the kind of stuff you are looking for?

You should try to tell what engine you have, wiring harnesses change from engine to engine with year model (Different alternators, ignitions, ect.)
If you have fuel injected engine, then all bets on the stuff I posted are out the window...

#5 ·
CJ-3A will probably have a DC GENERATOR instead of an ALTERNATOR.
That means a mechanical voltage regulator that will need to be 'Polarized'.

I know some of the older Jeeps had floor mounted pedals/switches for starter, and if that is the case, the starter will have to be wired a little differently.

225 should have the common starter wiring, but the solenoid might be on the starter instead of the fender well.
Same wiring applies, but you will NOT have to add the wire between solenoid and starter since there will be a connection already made.

Get me some pictures of the components, generator, starter, ect. and we can go from there.

#7 ·
The Haynes CJ manual works well for your YJ's 258 and Jeephammers post should apply to your engine bay.

The only real difference is a firewall starter relay instead of a fender relay.solenoid, most of the rest is the same. i have used the CJ book to rewire a couple YJ engine bays.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.