need suggestion on restoring 82 cj7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > need suggestion on restoring 82 cj7

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-11-2003, 06:42 PM   #1
richard-2003

need suggestion on restoring 82 cj7

Ok. I'm doing a complete, frame restortion on a 82 cj7. This will be my first restortion project. I've had a jeep before. Yes, I'm scared out of my mind. That I'm going to screw something up. I've taken alot of pictures just in case to help me. I plan to start with the axles and work my way up from there. I wanted to know; anything I need to watch out for or any simple mods to help the jeep. Is there anything I need to be aware of. I plan to use it as a daily driver and to play in the mud, nothing seriuos. I want to use a one peice on amc 20 and a 4" lift for right now....Thanks

richard-2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2003, 03:56 AM   #2
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

All I can say is this, when your enthusiasm turns to frustration, walk away for a bit and come back to it a little while later, you are bound to do something stupid that will end up hurting you and your jeep dreams.

I started my restoration all gung ho in August. I stripped her down and started rebuilding and then winter hit in the north east and I ran low on funds. I waited out the winter stock piling parts whenever I could. Spring came and I started the work again, but it is and always was raining, not to mention it snowed a few more times.

I am not getting there with the restoration, but there have been many many things that have gotten in the way of it and it makes it tough to see the final result when there are so many obstacles.

So, keep a positive attitude, have plenty of space to work on it, make sure you have all the tools that you will need and always remember that the jobs you think that are going to be quick will take the longest, and the ones that you are scared out of your mind about will and usually to end up taking less time then you have anticipated.

Just my $.02

cb

Here is where I am at after 150+ hours and more then 6 grand.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/cb4158/vw...c=ph%26.view=t

NOTE: The 5 grand that I have spent is not all on there yet. All the lines, the gas tank, brake parts, front end parts, some more engine parts and the rest of the steering need to go on yet.

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2003, 08:51 AM   #3
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good so far cb. What are you running in there?

98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2003, 01:35 PM   #4
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

sit down and think what all you want to do to it take pic like you have as you go along what you planed will changed lol and just keep on working on it i have been working on mine for ten years now have funds no funds lol the way it goes i have between 5 and 8 grand in to mine and not done yet plan on showing it when done pic of my engine http://amcforum.net/images/Members/fuzz401/ about 3500 in it already and still not done
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2003, 04:25 PM   #5
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

I got a 304 in there and I still need to clean up the block. It is blue, but it has a bunch of crap on it so you can't see the blue.

It is going to run 35's when I am done, the old 33's are on there. They have some rust on them and being that one of them is cracked it is time to get new ones.

The body is a whole nother issue and soon I will have to tackle it. Should be this summer some time. Conversion from manual brakes and steering is underway as well.

So as I said before, don't get discouraged, it is a long road ahead.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2003, 06:41 PM   #6
CJRUSTY

It took me 3 years to take my 82 down to the frame and build it back up again.
Its back on the road now but they are NEVER done. Thats the great thing about building a JEEP.
CJRUSTY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2003, 09:49 PM   #7
richard-2003

Thanks for the help guys. I just keep going at it.
richard-2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.