Need Spare Parts Storage Ideas... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need Spare Parts Storage Ideas...

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 08-20-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Need Spare Parts Storage Ideas...

I need to find a better way to carry extra parts, especially ones that need to be greased and kept clean/dry.

For small parts, I've been using vacuum packer bags to keep parts groups together...
Drive flanges, bolts, hubcap, snap ring, gasket in one bag,
(everything to replace a broken lockout with a drive flange)

Inner & outer bearings/races, hub grease seal, in another bag, (hub rebuild parts)

Spindle with fresh bearing and spacers, seals and prevailing torque nuts in another bag (Spindle repair kit)

Drive shaft U joints, straps, bolts, nuts, some times a extra yoke or two, ect in another bag,
(everything for drive shaft U joint repair)

I've been keeping axle shaft assemblies in a PVC tube to protect them, but it's REALLY hard to make places for all this stuff, and the bags keep getting punctured and leaking grease/oil and gaining moisture, so I'm not very satisfied with the current arrangement...

I already carry a foot locker size box for tools, spare parts, lubricants, coolant, tools, recovery equipment, ect, and I have the PVC tubes mounted to it (outside),
But it's getting out of hand and I'm tired of having to unload/load everything every time I need something...

SO,
Lets See/Hear about what you have/carry and how you store it...

JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
NHwheelin
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I was actually thinking about this earlier today and I have decided I am going to pick up some cheap storage bowls for the things that need to stay greased and dry. I took out the back seat and am planning on building a storage system with a cover that opens up. I like the idea about the pvc for axl shafts. I will have to figure out how to incorperate that into my system.
Unread 08-20-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
petey156
1977 CJ5 

you might go to the junk yard and look for cargo, contractor vans. and get some of the goodies from the inside of there, Parts bins, drawer sections, bench seats with storage underneath., and as an added bonus most contractor van interiors drawers/bins are able to lock with a seperate key.

just an idea i have been thinking about. if you have a good idea please include a pic.

jeep hammer how do you store your sealed parts bags? toolbox, bin.
petey156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

Sounds like you may need a trailer of some sorts!

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
petey156
1977 CJ5 

thats a good idea, but i want one like the nascar teams pull!!!!
petey156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Army/navy store, find one of the old metal foot lockers. Pull your rear seat mount the foot locker to the floor of the jeep, remove the mounting bracket from the rear seat and mount the seat to the top of the foot locker, with the opening facing your tailgate. Lock with padlock, ask me how I know this works....
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 01:04 AM   #7
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

JeepHammer tough question. The idea of using the vacuum bag for the kits of smaller greased parts is a good one.

Does the grease and oil break down the plastic bags???? Do they seem brittle and crack after being stored with the grease and oil after a month or so?? Just a guess on my part

I used to work with an industrial vaccum bagger and bags from GPD, Grand Junction, CO. We used these for N2 storage of moisture sensative parts. They will have tougher puncture resistant bags. They may have an idea for you on tougher bags. Their bags were sealed with a hot bar on the equipment they sold also. Not recommending their equip but the bags might be usefull or they may have an idea.

Some of the freezer bags are more HD than standard zip locks also.

Last edited by Fjguercio; 08-21-2008 at 12:30 PM..
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 02:31 AM   #8
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey156 View Post
jeep hammer how do you store your sealed parts bags? toolbox, bin.
Usually just vacuum pack bags in a milk crate in my 'Foot Locker' storage box...
I try to keep a tow strap coiled up under them, but they do clank together...

Why, have an idea?
------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikRic View Post
Army/navy store, find one of the old metal foot lockers. Pull your rear seat mount the foot locker to the floor of the jeep, remove the mounting bracket from the rear seat and mount the seat to the top of the foot locker, with the opening facing your tailgate. Lock with padlock, ask me how I know this works....
That's about what I have except for my box is a plastic foot locker screwed directly to the floor and when in operation, I have a cinch strap over it.
--------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjguercio View Post
JeepHammer tought question. The idea of using the vacuum bag for the kits of smaller greased parts is a good one.
I stole it from my girlfriend, she vacuum packs sweaters for summer storage and a bunch of those little 'Girly' things, keep sakes, invitations, birthday cards, ect.

I know a good idea when I steal it!

Quote:
Does the grease and oil break down the plastic bags???? Do they seem brittle and crack after being stored with the grease and oil after a month or so?? Just a guess on my part
No, had that problem with the discount store bags, but when I started using the Name Brand (Black & Decker) heavy duty freezer bags, that problem went away...

What's happening is the parts are clanging together, and mashing little holes in the bags...
I tried wrapping things up in shop towels, both in and out of the bags...
Towels are bulky, and you can't see what's there, you have to dig, hunt, and root through everything to find what you are looking for...
Sometimes, when I tied wrapping the parts in a shop towel, then packing, you had to identify parts by feel!

Braille mechanic!
Having a fresh cloth shop towel to work with was a bonus though...

Last edited by JeepHammer; 08-21-2008 at 02:46 AM..
Unread 08-21-2008, 06:27 AM   #9
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

I used to be an Electronic Technican, and alot of my parts and component were packed in zip-lock bags that looked like small bubble wrap. They were really tough and held up well (also anti-static). They also came in sizes big enough that you put a laptop in one.

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 06:31 AM   #10
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

JeepHammer a variation on the theme is to evacuate the air out of your plastic bags. Kind of like a shrink wrap idea.
You can put your parts in your bags and use a shop vac to evacuate the air. A rubber band over the plastic bag which is over the nozzle evac the air and wrap with duct tape.

Another variation is to use carpet mask this is the stuff contractor's use to protect job sites think of it as Saran Wrap on steroids with contact adhesive on one side.

Then you can put your assemblies in canvas pouches with zippers this can be gotten at home depot and start about the size of an envelope.

For your bigger stuff that clanks together you could use bubble wrap.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 07:32 AM   #11
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

I put the small bags of leakable greasy parts in an ammo can (it doesn't matter if they leak on each other as long as the grease is contained in the ammo can) bolted to the floor.
I don't typically carry axles (they should be strong enough or its time to step up a notch). I do carry spare axle ujoints (in the greasy parts can).
The spare drive shaft is velcroed to the floor along the door sill beside the seat (use footman loops and Velcro "one wrap")
The first aid kit is in another ammo can that is attached to the floor using hitch pin clips that are inserted through hinges (one half of the hinge is bolted to the floor the other half is soldered to the ammo can).
The tools are in an ammo can bolted under the hood.
The spare hoses are attached to the grill rods under the hood with new hose clamps.
The welding rod (in a section of PVC pipe) is velcrowed to the seat floor brackets.
The bear spray is clipped to the underside of the driver's seat with a spring clip (I had to scrounge for it).
The fire extinguisher is mounted to the floor between the seats next to the drivers seat floor bracket.
The welding/jumper cables are coiled in a bag under a seat (with the winch control, auxiliary control hidden under the dash).
The tree and snatch straps are coiled (held together by a strap) and stashed under a seat.
The snatch block and shackles are in the greasy parts ammo can.
a peanut butter jar of miscellaneous bolts, nuts, hose clamps, electrical connections, etc. is stashed under a seat along with a 6" section of 4x4.
Spare fluids are in a milk crate.
A GI entrenching tool is also under a seat (getting crowded under there).
A roll of toilet paper in a plastic container is in the milk crate.
A Sven saw is velcro-ed to the roll bar upright.
An angle head GI flashlight with LED bulb is velcro-ed to the roll bat behind the drivers seat.

There are probably some things that I forgot but its all in there!

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 10:47 AM   #12
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

I'm getting ideas here! Keep them coming!
Unread 08-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #13
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

geez, the simple solution is only to carry what you're planning to break on any given trip!

(I thought everyone knew that )

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 11:49 AM   #14
surfj9009
1969 CJ5 

My .02

These are great ideas, and I plan on stealing a few of them.

Here are a few ways we store parts on my ship, (i.e. lots of corrosion possibilities due to the salt in the air):

1) Spray parts with SP-400, http://www.dragosupply.com/drago/ser...log/group.jsp/

It drys tacky and leaves no grease or oil to drip and make a mess. It comes right of with a spray of brake cleaner with no trace. I have seen this stuff keep pistons and valves perfectly new after being on a shelf for over 10 years, as long as the part was wrapped in some type of plactic after the SP-400 dried. Saran wrap is cheap and works great over SP-400 for large parts. For small parts I

2) Use a Foodsaver to vacuum seal parts. The nice thing about these is they save space, come in many sizes, and have spots for writing a label out. If you wanted you could wrap these in bubble wrap to further protect them. (I buy the rolls of foodsaver bags in different widths and cut to length)http://www.foodsaver.com/?

So, spray with sp-400 and let dry. Then wrap part in wax paper to protect. Then vacuum seal it all with the foodsaver. When you need the part, open the bag, spray it off with the brake cleaner, and apply grease or oil or whatever, and use part. Easy as pie and clean!
surfj9009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 12:30 PM   #15
j33pman
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Joe View Post
6" section of 4x4.
Is that the parking brake?
http://www.schohariecountyjeepclub.org
j33pman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.