Need some suspension help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need some suspension help!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
rockhopinCJ
1978 CJ7 

Need some suspension help!

Ok so I first post here http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/i-caught-jeep-thing-564214/ and I got a lot of response back but not what I was really looking for in regards to the suspension.
Ok first things first, I know this current set up is not safe looking. I have driven it a few times around (not far) and took it wheeling a few times and everything is ok as for now. I mean I towed it home from about 60 miles away when I bought it. Ok so here is my questions, I want to either mod this set up or do a new one. I am looking for something I can (safely) drive on the streets as well as off road. So with that being said I am also looking for the most cost effective way of doing this I dont have unlimited funds to dump in to this thing. I would prefer a bolt of kit but I doubt that will work with current set up. I can fab things up and know how to work on cars and build things. So basically I need some opinions on what to do to the suspension to make it safer. The most flex I can get and something that will work with Chevy 3/4 ton full widths and 35's. So let me know what you think would be a good idea and if you have any pics of what your suggesting that would be awesome! I have been looking at http://www.rocky-road.com/jeepsus.html would anything from there work? Also if you need pics of the jeep go here www.photobucket.com/rockhopinCJ

rockhopinCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
John N
1981 CJ8 

Holy Cow!! I have to admit, I'm stumped as to where to start on that. The best 2 suggestions I can make, as a starting point, are to shoot the PO and put in a very good roll cage.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2008, 11:02 PM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

You may be able to use some of that stuff from Rocky Road. However, I'm sure their stuff is meant to fit onto an unmolested frame. At any rate, it would require you to hack all that old junk off and start anew. I'd strip the frame naked, buy new spring/shackle mounts, buy new leaf spring ubolts and plates and start all over. Just pretend there is no suspension under the Jeep and start from the beginning using only the axles. It may not be cheap, but it's better to be safe. If you can weld, then you should be able to fab up just about everything needed. Taking care of that mess with "bolt-on" parts might be kind of difficult. The other option is to drop the rig off at a reputable shop and have them fix it.

Make sure to post pics of whatever you end up doing... and good luck!

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.