Need some serious help.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need some serious help..

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Unread 09-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
81CJ7V8
1981 CJ7 

Need some serious help..

So my CJ was running fine the other day, took it out and trailed, came back home and parked it. Well took it to the car wash the day before yesterday and washed it (no pressure washer) and drove it home and parked it. Got home and had it parked, left the house for about 30 minutes and came home to a puddle of transmission fluid about a foot wide and 3 feet long. Checked oil today, was just fine on levels, but it looked as if the trans fluid was coming out of the top of the tranny/out of the dipstick tube. Now the stupid thing will not start, I have white smoke coming out of the exhaust and a slightly sweet smell coming from the CJ. I also am having smoke come out of my oil fill tube. Any suggestions before it ends up on Craigslist (for real, because I paid way to much for it to have this many issues)

R.I.P SPC James Lee Adair
R.I.P SPC Camy Florexil

We Will Never Forget.
81CJ7V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

I'm confused over where the oil is coming from - is it transmission oil or engine oil? Don't think your transmission should have a dipstick tube.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
81CJ7V8
1981 CJ7 

Transmission fluid. That's what's leaking.

R.I.P SPC Camy Florexil

We Will Never Forget.
Unread 09-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It sounds like you have a compound problem with different issues causing your symptoms. The transmission problem should be phoned in to a transmission shop that you trust, to get some idea of what that could be. All I can think of is something is plugged up in the normal fluid channels that would make the ATF come out of the dip stick.

The engine sounds like it could be an EGR problem, head gasket problem or worse. Check to see if you can "blow through" the EGR line... to check if it is clear. If it is, and your engine will spin over, running a compression test on her. See how tight she is... maybe its a head gasket. Usually white smoke coming out of an exhaust system is water entering the combustion chamber. Usually this is due to a bad head gasket, which is simple to fix. Pop open your radiator cap and see if you smell gasoline or oil. Do you see any oil residue in the water?

Since your vehicle seems to be a great model jeep, sit back and reexamine why you bought it in the first place. Don't make a hasty decision to sell it based on this because you won't get your money back with these problems at all. These things happen to all jeepers at some point, especially if you buy a used jeep. It happens. It is a jeep thing... no not really. It is buying a used car, having no note and yes, they break down and we have to repair them. That is the price we pay for not having a monthly $400+ note. But think about it... WITH THE MONEY WE SAVE, WE CAN AFFORD TO REPLACE THE ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION EVERY 100,000 MILES AND STILL BE WAY AHEAD OF THE GAME because we don't have a monthly note.

Take care and keep jeepin.

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
Centerfire

1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81CJ7V8 View Post
the trans fluid was coming out of the top of the tranny/out of the dipstick tube. Now the stupid thing will not start, I have white smoke coming out of the exhaust and a slightly sweet smell coming from the CJ. I also am having smoke come out of my oil fill tube.
Sometimes a trans can puke fluid into the intake via a modulator valve. This causes white smoke. Pull the mod valve vacuum line and see if it has fluid in it. Below are a few of the things that could cause the overflow.

Overfilled fluid
Plugged vent line
Bad modulator valve
Filter not properly installed
Line clogged to or from cooler
Bad torque converter

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/tr...-tube-1398271/

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/archi.../t-127053.html

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/archi.../t-133300.html
Centerfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
81CJ7V8
1981 CJ7 

Here is where it is leaking. Where are these things that could be causing problems besides the torque converter located?
The first pic is the dipstick tube, and the second is the side that it's going down.
transmission3.jpg   transmission2.jpg  

R.I.P SPC Camy Florexil

We Will Never Forget.
Unread 09-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerfire View Post
Sometimes a trans can puke fluid into the intake via a modulator valve. This causes white smoke. Pull the mod valve vacuum line and see if it has fluid in it.
TF727 doesn't have a modulator valve, only the TH400 does. My first thought was the same as yours, till I checked his profile.
Unread 09-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
81CJ7V8
1981 CJ7 

So know that I have found out for sure that it's a TF727, with my symptoms I have described, does the current suggested diagnoses stand, or is there more just knowing the transmission that's in it now.

R.I.P SPC Camy Florexil

We Will Never Forget.
Unread 09-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
MoC
1986 CJ7 

I can't help you much, autos are my weak point. Do have a question. You said it leaked out a pool then you checked it and the level was fine. Did you check the fluid level with the engine running?
If not recheck with it running and I bet your low.
Unread 09-11-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
W7NB
2013 JK Wrangler 

Pull the radiator cap and see what it looks like. The slightly sweet smell and no start would lead me to check for head gasket failure. Why that and the tranny at the same time is way beyond me.

1985 CJ7 With HO 4.0 Conversion
2013 JK
W7NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Fluid leak from the tranny sounds like a plugged vent. Maybe you got some mud around it. The oil heated up during use, expanded, and vomited out of the dip stick tube... path of least resistance. Better than blowing a seal.

Not much on engines, not much on anything really, but as mentioned, check your radiator for oil in the water... check your engine oil for water. Sounds like your "burning" antifreeze in your engine, hence the white smoke and sweet smell. Unless a cat got into your intake??

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 04:56 AM   #12
Hawk4097
1986 CJ7 

Definately has the symptoms of a head gasket just like Skerr said likely a lpugged ventline or breather valve
Hawk4097 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.