Need some help with parts...CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need some help with parts...CJ7

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
Klondisco

Need some help with parts...CJ7

Okay, so I am finishing up my CJ7 (FINALLY) and there are just some small things I am missing. My engine is a 258 inline six, and its missing a power steering bracket. If anyone can help me find a place I could buy one, that would be great. I also need tailgate straps. I have another tailgate, but the straps are all cut up and not worth using. I am also in the next few months am buying a 304 or 360 V8 (Both do not work, but I have a great deal on them, 304 for 150 and 360 for 300) and I am wondering which one is better? Money is kind of tight for me, since im only 16 and make minimum wage.

Also, hard top or soft top? This is going to be my get around vehicle for a long time.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Klondisco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
levergun
1979 CJ5 

You can usually find the ps brackets and straps On eBay relatively cheap.

As far as 304 vs. 360? I have a cj5 w/ a 401 and a cj7 w/ a 360. Both are great motors as is the 304. I'm guessing you want to do this swap so you can get some more power out of it? If so I would adhere to the old adage there is no replacement for displacement. The only disadvantage to getting the 360 is marginally worse gas mileage than the 304. The 360 is a slightly better platform to start Building a powerful engine on but that by no means means the 304 is a slacker. A stroked 304 is a insane motor it just takes more money to get the same type of performance as a lower dollar 360 will have.
Unread 08-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

if you 16 and making minimum wage you need to keep the 258 six cylinder, they are really good tough motor that last a life time.
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

check bulltear.com, they might have one
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
austinaubinoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
if you 16 and making minimum wage you need to keep the 258 six cylinder, they are really good tough motor that last a life time.
agreed! But a high nickel AMC V8 can last just as long. Ive got 130K original miles on my wagoneer, and I driven it everyday since january without a hitch.

RockAuto Is where I get all my parts from.
austinaubinoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
mylittlecj5
1974 CJ5 

I'm not sure about your area, but around here $300 for a non-running 360 is expensive. I wouldn't even bother with a non-running 304, even for $150.
I just bought a complete '79 Wagoneer for $500. Sweet running 360 with all power everything on the engine.

But I agree with keeping the I-6 with being on a budget. Fuel mileage with
a V-8 isn't that great to begin with, and heavy throttle applications (hey we all like them!) drops it even farther.
Default Jeepers Club #10
mylittlecj5 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
Klondisco

Well, thanks for the help. I just got the tub back on and put a coat of bedliner on, and that was awesome. Seeing it start to look like a jeep again...

I want to do an engine in the future to learn about it, (Rebuild) and be able to fix something if it goes wrong. Should I just check junkyards and craigslist for old jeep models that had one? Only thing that is currently wrong with the inline is the powersteering bracket, but otherwise it is sitting at 100k miles. It looks okay to, with a new valve cover and carb (Its not off brand, just a new one). So signs look to keep the 258 for a while lol

Thanks for all the help guys, ill probably be back here with some new issue. lol
Klondisco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.