Need some help on engine swap on 74 Scout II with AMC 258 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need some help on engine swap on 74 Scout II with AMC 258

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
pityocamptes

Need some help on engine swap on 74 Scout II with AMC 258

Sort of a bastardized engine and make, half AMC/jeep and IHC. Anyways, perhaps you good folks could help me out. My 258 (with a T-18 tranny) grenaded the other day, beyond repair. I need to get a new engine. The problem is I would like something with a little more pep. The 258 power to rig weight ratio is not really cutting it. I have thought about a stroker - not sure if that will direct bolt in - perhaps someone could chime in on that. Or perhaps using another AMC engine?

I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck. I realize that I would have to swap out motor mounts, new exhaust, intake and exhaust manifold and carb (which I was planning on getting if I got the stroker - intake/exhaust/carb), dizzy, water pump, alternator, etc.

Basically I'm trying to find the best option for more power, less time modding something and hopefully a direct bolt on without having to change bellhousings, or tranny (not sure if the input shaft of my T-18 will work with either the stroker or some other AMC v8).

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, as well as projected costs. I believe Golen has a stroker in the 3500 range... thanks again!!

pityocamptes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
CSP

The AMC V8s will bolt to the same bellhousing as your 258. You're probably on your own for motor mounts. The IHC 304 is quite different from the AMC 304.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

S&J has a stroker long block for just over $2k. It may be worth a phone call to see what they have to say. https://www.sandjengines.com/rebuilt...-288LB-1/10628

You can probably get your intake to bolt up, but would need a new exhaust manifold. Your bell housing would bolt up, but you may need a custom pilot bushing for your tranny input shaft.
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
chromegrille
1947 CJ2A 

Scouts are heavy.
110 hp 258 or a 190 hp 4.0 isn't gonna do much improvement wise.
IH 304 or 345 would be better choices in my opinion
I've seen IH 392s in Scouts that guys have put in.
V8 will be much harder obviously.
chromegrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
Jack61
1981 CJ7 

I wouldn't even consider the IH 304. Very heavy, wide engine with only slightly more power than than the 258. We are pulling the 304 out of my son's scout 800 to swap in a 351W. Since you have a T18 (Ford I'm assuming) have you considered a small block Ford?
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 

My '72 Scout II had a 304 that was dog tired. It is a heavy vehicle for sure. Try a SBC. Plenty of adaptors available and even more parts. You could probably get away with 2 to 3k invested and have some unreal torque.

WSS
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 04:46 AM   #7
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pityocamptes View Post
Sort of a bastardized engine and make, half AMC/jeep and IHC. Anyways, perhaps you good folks could help me out. My 258 (with a T-18 tranny) grenaded the other day, beyond repair. I need to get a new engine. The problem is I would like something with a little more pep. The 258 power to rig weight ratio is not really cutting it. I have thought about a stroker - not sure if that will direct bolt in - perhaps someone could chime in on that. Or perhaps using another AMC engine?

I'm trying to get the best bang for the buck. I realize that I would have to swap out motor mounts, new exhaust, intake and exhaust manifold and carb (which I was planning on getting if I got the stroker - intake/exhaust/carb), dizzy, water pump, alternator, etc.

Basically I'm trying to find the best option for more power, less time modding something and hopefully a direct bolt on without having to change bellhousings, or tranny (not sure if the input shaft of my T-18 will work with either the stroker or some other AMC v8).

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, as well as projected costs. I believe Golen has a stroker in the 3500 range... thanks again!!
I always wanted a Scout with the 258. As a prior owner of both the four and eight cylinder, I always felt the 258 would be the perfect balance of power and economy. With minor upgrades, it should be able to pull reasonably well.
That being said, the AMC V8 would mate to the bellhousing. Not sure if the trans is far enough forward, and you will have to look at the motor mounts and install an exhaust.
I have seen Dodge V8's installed as well, but you start getting into the realm of modifying.
Binderplanet is the (IMO) premier IH forum. They are a bit snobbish about modifying their vehicles, but they are friendly and have an expansive knowledge base.
jeepdaddy2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:02 AM   #8
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Since were talking Scouts, how does the market for them compare with Jeep CJs?

I ask because I have an older neighbor who is retiring and selling off "assets". One of his items for sale is a nearly mint mid-70s Scout II with a AMC 258. It has 40k original miles, and is unmodified and unmolested. It's all original. A few minor paint chips near the rockers are the only blemishes on the entire rig. Otherwise, it's showroom shape.

I want to make him an offer, but I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post

I ask because I have an older neighbor who is retiring and selling off "assets". One of his items for sale is a nearly mint mid-70s Scout II with a AMC 258. It has 40k original miles, and is unmodified and unmolested. It's all original. A few minor paint chips near the rockers are the only blemishes on the entire rig. Otherwise, it's showroom shape.

I want to make him an offer, but I have no idea where to start. Any suggestions?

Matt

Hard to compare. If you go feature to feature, the Scout will cost more because there are fewer of them. Collectors also get weird about Scout stuff. You see that with the Jeep crowd too but not nearly as many "purists". I like to run "moderate" to "hard" trails, the Scout can and will do them but the damage is usually more costly and because there are fewer of them, one tends to go easier and cry more over damage. The Jeep is easier to protect and upgrade to run trails.

If money was no problem, I would have both. Hum, not much help am I!

WSS
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
pityocamptes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post

Matt

I was offered 10K for mine a few months ago. I declined. If you look on NADA scouts run anywhere from 5k(rotting out in a field) to 10-12K (average) to 20-26K (fully restored). Probably not realistic numbers, but like I said, I guy offered me 10K for mine. HTH
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
pityocamptes

Thinking of an AMC 304 or 360. Any input on these over a stroked 258? Night and day? Thanks!
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #12
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pityocamptes View Post
I was offered 10K for mine a few months ago. I declined. If you look on NADA scouts run anywhere from 5k(rotting out in a field) to 10-12K (average) to 20-26K (fully restored). Probably not realistic numbers, but like I said, I guy offered me 10K for mine. HTH
Thanks. I hope the owner hasn't seen the NADA numbers.

OP, throw a 401 in that thing and call it good.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #13
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 

A guy named Murphy hangs out in my garage and shop. He influences my buying and selling. When I am looking to buy a Scout, those are fair guides. However, when selling, It seems to lean more toward the "rotting" and "neglected" price LOL

An interesting thing about Scouts is the "rust" factor. A new scout off the lot could be seen rusting.

WSS

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.