Need quick advice on my Prestolite replacement options... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need quick advice on my Prestolite replacement options...

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 12-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
johny1i

Need quick advice on my Prestolite replacement options...

This is for my '77 CJ-7 with the 258 I-6. The vacuum advance has crapped out on my Prestolite distributor and I need to do a quick/cheap, 2-days-before-Christmas distributor fix to get it back up to highway speed quickly. Of the billions of threads i have read on HEI-vs-Team Rush-vs-every conceivable module, it comes down to this---I don't want to bite off the whole Team Rush/MSD module process at this moment, but I don't want to buy stuff that I'll just throw away in a few weeks when I have the time to do it. If I buy a Motorcraft-Duraspark distributor for a 1979 CJ-7 (258 I-6) and a gasket,can I just reuse a stock ignition module for an 80's CJ that I happen to have laying around? Can the plug wires and coil from my '77 also be reused?

Thanks.... lots of great upgrade options on here, but with family coming into town and all my cash spent on Christmas gifts, I just need to get it back on the road at the moment.

Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny1i View Post
If I buy a Motorcraft-Duraspark distributor for a 1979 CJ-7 (258 I-6) and a gasket,can I just reuse a stock ignition module for an 80's CJ that I happen to have laying around? Can the plug wires and coil from my '77 also be reused?
Yes and yes.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
johny1i

Thanks, man!!
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
Unread 12-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

A little issue is the Prestolite system only uses one wire from the ignition, while the motocraft uses 2, plus the resistor. You will need to add that in.
Plus, you will find the Prestolite module used 4 wires, while the motorcraft uses 6, with different style plugs.

I had the same problem years ago, and through in a cheap Ebay HEI as a quick-fix, until I could assemble the parts for something better. Well, then that never happened!
hp_lovecraft is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Ever think about buying a cheap HEI distributor until you have time and $ to do it right?
One wire and you are done.

Or is this something you are trying to quickly piece together from the local parts store.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
james04si

1977 CJ5 

A motorcraft distributor and a heI module will get you up and running without a resistor like the motorcraft ICM. Simple and easy to swap from a prestolite. Just search on here for jeephammers stealth hei module diagram. You can do the big cap and rotor upgrade but that will require new spark plug wires. Also you can change over to a ford e-core coil for a little more spark power.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2014, 08:28 PM   #7
johny1i

Just for the sake of anyone who comes across this thread, I wound up going with an upgraded (brass contact) Motorcraft distributor/cap, a stock module, and a set of 8mm plug wires (all stock for an '85 CJ-7), and did add the resistor since the original Prestolite system harness didn't have one.

The one hiccup I encountered is that the existing starter solenoid didn't have both the "I" and "S" studs (I was following Jeephammer's wiring diagram) so I added a new one (also for an '85 model) at $22. Everything works flawlessly, so thanks guys....
Unread 01-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #8
johny1i

Oops, should have added that I upgraded to the big '82 Ford cap/adapter/rotor while I was in there... Total cost about $130-140.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.