Need quadratrac help!!! and Info - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need quadratrac help!!! and Info

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 02-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
smcfar13

Need quadratrac help!!! and Info

Hi all Im new to the Jeep world and epecially the quadtratrac.

Im looking a trading for a 1977 cj7 with the 304 auto quadratrac system. Ive searched till iwas blue in the face.

My queastion is did these jeeps come with front lockable hubs? The one im looking at purchasing has hubs in the front that have "auto and locked" Id like to know if they are factory and how they worked on an AED drive jeep.

It has the 304 turbo 400 quadtratrac with low gear

Thanks in advanced!!

smcfar13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
timgr
1975 CJ6 

No locking hubs.

It could have been converted to part-time drive. Then the locking hubs could be added. But never from the factory.

Read the page about Quadratrac at Jubilee Jeeps: http://www.jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac/

Plenty of information on the BW1305/BW1339 out there - use Google.

AED? You mean AWD? It's full-time 4WD from the factory, with the front and rear axles driven all the time.

Low range, not low gear.
1) '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps. 2) '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, KOs, 7600 GVWR 3) '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top 4) '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
smcfar13

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgr View Post
No locking hubs.

It could have been converted to part-time drive. Then the locking hubs could be added. But never from the factory.

Read the page about Quadratrac at Jubilee Jeeps: http://www.jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac/

Plenty of information on the BW1305/BW1339 out there - use Google.

AED? You mean AWD? It's full-time 4WD from the factory, with the front and rear axles driven all the time.

Low range, not low gear.
Awsome thanks. Yes sorry Low range and Full-time Told you I was new LOL.
The hubs only say auto and locked most ive seen have lock and unlock i dont get it. The guy said the "part time kit" was not done on it Im just trying to under stand whay the auto/locked hubs
Unread 02-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
CSP

The ones that say auto/locked are aftermarket auto locking hubs. They would auto lock if a transfer case was put into 4wd. They would need to manually be turned to "lock" if you planned on doing any compression braking (using the engine to slow you down going downhill).

It's odd that they would have been swapped into a Qtrac CJ unless it's been converted to part time.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
timgr
1975 CJ6 

If there's no part time conversion installed, you don't want locking hubs of any kind. Some hubs are "auto-locking" where they lock in automatically when the driveshaft turns, and also can be locked solid. Leave them locked, or better yet, remove them and replace with the factory slugs.

If you unlock locking hubs on a Quadratrac Jeep, and switch the glove box control to normal operation (rather than "emergency drive"), you will ruin the transfer case. There are no replacement parts to fix these any more - you'd have to hope you can find enough good used parts to put a working TC together.

You might be lucky, and the TC is permanently stuck in "emergency drive." Then, you could go 2WD using locking hubs. But that's another bone-head scenario.

No locking hubs on a factory Quadratrac. Bad, bad, bad idea. Very dangerous to the car's health.

Ask the owner to demonstrate the car in full-time on pavement, hubs fully locked. And make sure the switch in the glove box works - you should notice 4WD bind-up on pavement with it locked in to "emergency drive," and the binding should go away in normal mode. Always with those dangerous hubs fully locked.

BTW - towing a full-time QT Jeep with two wheels on the ground and two in the air will also ruin the transfer case. Clutches will be worn out, TC killed very dead.
1) '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps. 2) '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, KOs, 7600 GVWR 3) '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top 4) '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
timgr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Ask if the front axle has been replaced or had work on it. I would be wary of different gear ratios 'tween front and rear.
Unread 02-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
smcfar13

OK thanks guy's for your help it really is awsome!

I wehnt for a ride in it yesturday The hubs we in Auto mode drove fine made a tight corner in the culisac no binding at all. This was a project that was competed a year ago and since the original owner has passed. Im dealling with his son in law now seems to know his stuff and swears up and down his father in law didnt put the "part time " kit in. Also the dash has been redone and there is no Glovebox and I didnt notice an Emergancy lock vacume switch anyware.

Thanks again
Unread 02-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

The auto locking hubs is a weird one.

I run locking hubs on the front of mine with Quadratrac. It's nice having the option of locking the hubs and running normal all wheel drive on the street for slick snowy roads when the extra traction is needed.
Or unlocking the hubs, putting it in E-drive and having only the rear wheels powered under normal conditions.
Unread 02-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
CSP

Some info on the Lock-o-matic hubs:

http://forums.off-road.com/jeepster-...explained.html

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/wa...eable-1373754/
Unread 02-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
arg0413
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you need factory hubs, I got a set I just pulled off mine. I converted my quadratrac to a T18A/D20 setup, and I actually have a heap of good Quadratrac parts.. including E-Drive switches, diaphrams, etc.. You can look on the passengerside underneath your Jeep and you'll see black vacuum lines coming off the T-case, follow them up to the firewall and under the dash to find the E-drive switch. Some people put them on the dash and didn't label them like mine was when I bought it.
arg0413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #11
arg0413
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm sorry factory "Lockouts" or "slugs"
arg0413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #12
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arg0413
I'm sorry factory "Lockouts" or "slugs"
I'm guessing your talking about "drive flanges" . Which is the correct terminology.
OP, this is a drive flange.

image-4145178650.jpg

image-3135637652.jpg

And are what Quadratrac Jeeps came with from the factory.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
arg0413
1997 TJ Wrangler 

No that's not what I'm talking about, a lockout looks like a hub, but it stays locked at all times. That's what is supposed to be on a q-track from factory, I can post a pic when I get home
Unread 02-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #14
CSP

A lockout is a locking hub that can either be locked or unlocked. The picture lucdog posted is correct with what came stock on the front of CJs with Qtrac and they are indeed called drive flanges.
Unread 02-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #15
arg0413
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yes I'm aware what a drive flange is, but this post is about hubs and I'm pretty sure we can all agree that a Q track jeeps came with hubs that stay stay locked and cannot be unlocked, and as I mentioned before I have the oem pieces that I recently took off that he can have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.