Need opinion....Manual Brakes/360 to Power Brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need opinion....Manual Brakes/360 to Power Brakes

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-08-2009, 01:00 PM   #1
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Need opinion....Manual Brakes/360 to Power Brakes

I'm getting ready to set the tub on the CJ8 Saturday and I need some opinions on this for my safety as well as others.

I currently have a 360 in my build and manual brake set-up of which I like in case I have loss of power etc. I do like the stopping power/assist of the power brakes. In your opinion with the power of the 360 compared to the I-6 and certain speeds I can obtain quickly would it be recommended to have the power brake set up as opposed to the manual when running the V8.

Thanks,

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

With the vacuum canister that originally mounted under the battery tray, you can get a couple of uses of the brakes in case of loss of power, so that would not concern me. I put power on mine, and couldn't be happier with stopping distances. I have a 304, so close enough.
I vote go for it. If you decide you don't want it, it is really easy to swap back, but my guess is you won't
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

I wouldn't be worried about losing power. Like BioTex said, you'll still be able to stop - just not necessarily in an emergency fashion once you run out of vacuum.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

you could even go the whole 9 yards and go yj power brakes...

http://www.bustedjeep.com/projects/yjbrakes.asp

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
GPER
1979 CJ7 

I like my YJ power brakes
http://www.terrainstompers.com/forum...pic.php?t=2992
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

What yr yJ would be the best for the application? Should I use the CJ's proportioning valve?

Unread 04-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #7
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollbar View Post
What yr yJ would be the best for the application? Should I use the CJ's proportioning valve?
1995 with the dual-diaphragm booster.

Yes on the valve. The valve is tuned to the vehicle regardless of how much power you send to it.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
Unread 04-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Thank you,

Unread 04-08-2009, 07:48 PM   #9
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

?
If I use the 1995 then the bracket would not be used and the bolts seen in the pic would go into the fire wall correct. The push rod would not have to be changed since the booster is fitted directly on the fire wall, correct?

The write ups show a single booster.

Unread 04-08-2009, 09:03 PM   #10
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
?
If I use the 1995 then the bracket would not be used and the bolts seen in the pic would go into the fire wall correct. The push rod would not have to be changed since the booster is fitted directly on the fire wall, correct
No, you'll need the firewall bracket shown in the write-ups that goes between the booster and firewall. The rod would go way past the pedal if the booster went right to the firewall. The bracket is not part of and not included with the booster, which is why that Autozone image does not show it. This presents a problem sometimes, as the YJ power brake setup is kind of useless without the bracket, yet a lot of people who are building nice rigs want to buy the booster and MC new, but can't get a new bracket.

Quote:
The write ups show a single booster.

Well, which would you rather have?

There's always the dual-diaphragm Vanco option if you don't want to mess with the YJ parts. Very niiiiiice. Much more expensiiiiive.

Unread 04-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #11
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Thanks, Just looking @ the write up the booster does look smaller like a single one. Using the bracket would make one think it would be 1/2 way to the front of the Jeep . I wonder how much Jeep sells'em for if they do, bracket that is.

The two boosters do look different.

Unread 04-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #12
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Yes, the dual is definitely longer. If this is going in the 86 with the 258, you may want to mock it up or do some rough measurements for air cleaner clearance.

Unread 04-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #13
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

looking @ the rod in the last pic it does look like the bracket would be needed to take up the length. Side by side pics helped. Thanks.

Going on the CJ8 build w/the 360. Would it fit w/the V8? Stock exhaust manifolds and hopefully it would make it past the steering arm/shaft.

Unread 04-08-2009, 09:22 PM   #14
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Going on the CJ8 build w/the 360. Would it fit w/the V8?
With the air cleaner in the center, you should not have a problem (unless your air cleaner is huge enough that it goes past the valve covers).

Unread 04-08-2009, 09:29 PM   #15
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Stock air cleaner and I might not even use it............I have this set up for the conversion build.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.