Need an opinion on this 1975 CJ-5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need an opinion on this 1975 CJ-5

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-14-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
Knute
1975 CJ5 

Need an opinion on this 1975 CJ-5

I have the opportunity to buy this Jeep and would like your opinion. I think it is all original with 71,000 miles. I have always wanted to buy a Jeep and here is my chance. I would like some opinion and is it worth $2000. We don't have many Jeeps in this area MN/ND. There is some surface rust but nothing rusting through. Give me your thoughts. Thanks!! Mike

Knute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 06:46 AM   #2
CSP

That thing is in amazing shape. Even has the original taillights.

The dash isn't hacked up and hasn't been modified nine ways to Sunday.

For being in the rust belt, $2k isn't bad. I'd try to talk them down a bit, but not much.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 06:50 AM   #3
Knute
1975 CJ5 

Thanks for the comment...On the passenger rear is that the correct reflector or is there something missing there?
Unread 10-14-2011, 07:00 AM   #4
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I think $2K is a reasonable price for that Jeep. It's obviously been taken care of, and the only mods appear to be bolt on stuff that you could remove if you decide to restore it to original.

How does she run?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 07:11 AM   #5
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

Beautiful CJ5. That reflector (or possibly marker light) on the passenger rear corner is there because that's where the original spare tire mounted. That light would have originally be mounted in the hub of the spare tire. Without the side mounted spare, the reflector/light would have been moved to the body.

75 is a really good year, you get all the benefits of the 72-75's stout drivetrain, plus it's the first year to have an actual fusebox instead of inline fuses, meaning the wiring harness is much better. Should have a T14 3-speed and a Dana 20 transfer case. Dana 30 front axle and D44 rear, with 11x2" drum brakes all around.

If you get it, please please please keep it original! There are very few original CJ5's of that vintage still around and it would be a shame to lose this one to a huge lift kit and big tires and wide axles and all that junk.
Unread 10-14-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
nsargeant
1974 CJ5 

thats a good looking jeep and for $2000 you are getting a deal. I have a 74cj5 that is in that kind of condition with a fiberglass tub for $4300. Just beware that there are some parts that can be a little harder to find. With that being said, im glad i bought an intermediate jeep and not a later one.

buy it and have fun,

nathan
nsargeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
billybob535

That's a nice looking CJ. I suggest you crawl under it and thoroughly inspect the inside boxed section of the frame rails from the front spring hanger (where the box starts) forward to make sure there is no hidden rot. Take something to gently tap on the metal. Also take a look at the mounting channels on the bottom of the tub to make sure they don't need repair. The rest of it is easy to see and relatively simple to fix. Those 2 things are not. I think if it starts, runs, drives, shifts, and stops the way it should then the price is just fine as long as there is no rot in the frame or tub structure. Finding an unmolested one is really a bonus when buying a used Jeep. Most of the time crappy repairs by past owners are worse than wear and tear.

By the way, don't wait too long to go get it. Things like that don't sit for sale very long.

Bob
billybob535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 07:56 AM   #8
Knute
1975 CJ5 

Thanks for the comments...I also collect old snowmobiles and it is always a bonus when you can find something unmolested. I would keep it original with exception to some different rims and tires. I live in the lakes country in MN and we would use it for cruises around the lakes in the summer with the top off! Are the rims on this Jeep original?
Unread 10-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #9
cardiffclimber
1981 CJ7 

I agree with leaving it alone. Buy it, drive it, and take care of it. The only thing I would do is move the spare back the the rear quarter panel.
"Rule #9: Never go anywhere without a knife."
cardiffclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 08:04 AM   #10
Knute
1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob535 View Post
That's a nice looking CJ. I suggest you crawl under it and thoroughly inspect the inside boxed section of the frame rails from the front spring hanger (where the box starts) forward to make sure there is no hidden rot. Take something to gently tap on the metal. Also take a look at the mounting channels on the bottom of the tub to make sure they don't need repair. The rest of it is easy to see and relatively simple to fix. Those 2 things are not. I think if it starts, runs, drives, shifts, and stops the way it should then the price is just fine as long as there is no rot in the frame or tub structure. Finding an unmolested one is really a bonus when buying a used Jeep. Most of the time crappy repairs by past owners are worse than wear and tear.

By the way, don't wait too long to go get it. Things like that don't sit for sale very long.

Bob
Bob...thanks for the feedback, I will look at that today. It is a friend of mine that has the Jeep and is not for-sale yet, so I have some time to check things out. He will give ample time for me to check things over. It does run but has some old gas so it is a little rough. I will drain the gas and put plugs, oil, etc. anything else I should do? Thanks!! Mike
Unread 10-14-2011, 08:05 AM   #11
my73CJ
1973 CJ5 

Looks good, with a little elbow grease she would clean up nice.
my73CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #12
Brg0012
1983 CJ7 

I think 2k is a more than fair offer. It seems to be in very good shape.
Brg0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #13
whodatsCJ7
1978 CJ7 

If the frame is good to go, I'd jump on it in a second. It appears to be in great shape and at a good price. I would even leave the paint like it is
Unread 10-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #14
Knute
1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathkiller View Post
Beautiful CJ5. That reflector (or possibly marker light) on the passenger rear corner is there because that's where the original spare tire mounted. That light would have originally be mounted in the hub of the spare tire. Without the side mounted spare, the reflector/light would have been moved to the body.

75 is a really good year, you get all the benefits of the 72-75's stout drivetrain, plus it's the first year to have an actual fusebox instead of inline fuses, meaning the wiring harness is much better. Should have a T14 3-speed and a Dana 20 transfer case. Dana 30 front axle and D44 rear, with 11x2" drum brakes all around.

If you get it, please please please keep it original! There are very few original CJ5's of that vintage still around and it would be a shame to lose this one to a huge lift kit and big tires and wide axles and all that junk.
It also has the original rear kicker seat and foot steps that are included, he said they were original equipment accesories? The rear bumper looked different also, is that original? Thanks!! Mike
Unread 10-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #15
Knute
1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by my73CJ View Post
Looks good, with a little elbow grease she would clean up nice.
I agree...It has been in the garage since 2002 and could use some detailing!!! Mike

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.