need new u bolts/ axle bolts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > need new u bolts/ axle bolts

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 06-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
fwharregard
1967 CJ5 

need new u bolts/ axle bolts

Where do i find new u bolts (axle bolts) besides ebay? do local shops usually carry them in various lengths or is this usually a special otder kind of item

fwharregard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

I prefer to have mine custom made locally. They seem to be much stronger than the chain store U-bolts. The price is a few dollars more (usually about $10 per bolt with washers and nuts), but it's worth it to me.
Check the yellow pages for a spring, or suspension shop. Take the old U-bolts, or spring plates with you.
Unread 06-21-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz
I prefer to have mine custom made locally. They seem to be much stronger than the chain store U-bolts. The price is a few dollars more (usually about $10 per bolt with washers and nuts), but it's worth it to me.
Check the yellow pages for a spring, or suspension shop. Take the old U-bolts, or spring plates with you.
X2...if you buy u bolts make sure it is u-bolt material. Many places now use cheap lightweight crap. Go to a local driveline or machine shop. I had all 8 of mine made (take yours with you, the size does matter) and there was one over the front differential that was a larger size. Took him less than 10 minutes and cost me $40.
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
CSP

I get mine from a local spring/suspension shop which most of their business is industrial (big rigs). Just had four made for my F250 for $40.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 02:11 AM   #5
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

U-bolts are available just about anywhere that sells auto parts. Never had a quality problem before (but that's not to say there aren't some bad ones out there). It is a little hard to find a variety of length, so I always buy longer and cut to desired length.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
boojeep
1979 CJ5 

Another vote for the local drive shaft or heavy truck shop
boojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I've gotten m them from a spring shop that works on the bigger trucks. They use grade 8 material and the threads are rolled not cut. Roll formed threads are much stronger.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

NAPA
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
NAPA
Ditto!

Over the counter is fine for me. I could probably find some machined titanium billet if I were really concerned about strength, but that would be silly. I'm not racing Baja any time soon...
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spieg8 View Post
Ditto!

I'm not racing Baja any time soon...
Me neither. It's the trip down the highway at 65 mph that I'm worried about the most.
Unread 06-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spieg8 View Post
Ditto!

Over the counter is fine for me. I could probably find some machined titanium billet if I were really concerned about strength, but that would be silly. I'm not racing Baja any time soon...
Titanium is not strong at all, please do not use titanium. Most titanium availabe to us is 60% aluminum (6AL4V)

They probably could not hold the weight of the vehicle if you are sprung under.

WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #12
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Ti not strong That's total HOGWASH
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium
That alloy you posted, is the same alloy used for the turbine blades in jet engines
Ti would cost 100X that of alloy steel for "U"-bolts.
L(who has machined TONS of Ti)G
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #13
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Ti not strong That's total HOGWASH
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium
That alloy you posted, is the same alloy used for the turbine blades in jet engines
Ti would cost 100X that of alloy steel for "U"-bolts.
L(who has machined TONS of Ti)G
Oh believe me, they are not strong enough for the area available for ubolts.

Per pound, nothing can touch it. But titanium is light, very light in every meaning of light. It gauls bad, you might get one shot at a nut going on, forget tightening it. It WILL strip. The blades you mention are most certainly contained by another more suitable alloy, if not, stay off that type of plane!

PM me your address and I will flat rate you a piece to play with, you be the judge. OOPS, sorry, just read that you have machined tons of it, what gives? You obviously know it's strong and weak points? I work with ti as well and know from research and development were it lacks.

Please don't trust me, or any "on-line" info, see for yourself. Aviation and the space industry use CP (commercially pure) ti, but it is composed of aluminum as well. The "V" in the ti designantion is Vanadium, much like chrome or tungsten carbide (WC), too hard to be stable (or not brittle).

Ti has it's place, but not on ubolts, seriously. There is a reason why it is limited to space and flight mostly, it's weight to strength ratio. Bird brains and bones are light LOL
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #14
row684
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz
7 or 8 bucks at my local machine shop call ahead and they are done by the time I get there. No screwing around at the parts store. No further trimming once they are on.
row684 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #15
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

WSS-Ti can be alloyed with any metal.
If you don't think Ti has bolt strenght, then all the bolts I help make for over 20 yrs for the Atlas 5 booster rocket(and many other)were a mistake then. According to you
NOW--Back to Jeep'n
LG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.