Need a little help on a 83 CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need a little help on a 83 CJ7

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 09-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
MDOVERALL

Need a little help on a 83 CJ7

Well I have been learning allot off this site and started a rebuild on a 83 CJ7. I took it down to the frame and had it redone and am trying to put it back together. I took hundreds of pics as I tore it apart but the memory card wont work so I am in a jam. Its just my memory and a Haynes manual, so I am in a bind here.

The motor mounts that attach to the frame are two sizes (pics below) I am trying to figure out what side the little one goes on and what holes it goes into. There are 6 holes there and it could bolt to the front 2 or the rear 2.

Also there is a couple of pictures of what I thought was a steering box bracket but all the pics I find online are different. Can anyone tell me where they go.

Lastly I bought some Dana 44 wide tracks out of a old scout had them redone and want to put disk brakes on there. Found lots of write up on the AMC 20 but not on the 44 does anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks for any help and your time.

Mike

photo-9.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-3.jpg

photo-1.jpg

MDOVERALL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Hello,

The small mount goes on the driver side and the big one on the pass side. In my 5 there are only 4 holes on the frame so not sure which you should use.

Not sure about the bracket.

From what I've read, the D44 disk brake upgrade uses the same parts (96-01 maxima or 300zx rear calipers, hangers and rubber lines and thin tracker brake rotors). The only change is the custom bracket that mounts the caliper to the flange
Dadamsnv is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

The bigger one goes on P/S.
LG
Unread 09-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #4
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

The bigger one with the dimple on top is the pass. side.
The other piece is your sway bar mount that goes on the frame.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
MDOVERALL

thanks allot gents for the input, does any one know which 4 of the 6 holes the little engine bracket mount goes into I added a picture of the drivers side if it helps, and thanks again
photo-11.jpg

Unread 09-23-2014, 03:53 PM   #6
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

The holes you chose are determined what type of engine, trans combo you have. 1983 factory choice on engines was either 258 six or 150 four cylinder. Trans would be T4, T5, T176 and Automatic.

Here's pic of my CJ's mounting location based on 258 engine and T5 trans.

Drivers side

Passenger side

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #7
MDOVERALL

thanks that really helped, I will get that on tomm and hope to get this thing back on track.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.