need late cj5 leaf springs - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > need late cj5 leaf springs

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 02-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
Tfain
Registered User
1978 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lutz, Florida
Posts: 579
need late cj5 leaf springs

does anyone have a set. maybe someone who lifted there 5 and isnt using the stock springs. all i need is the stock ones. mine are flat in the back and almost flat in the front. i thought id look here first before i looked into getting them rearched

Tfain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
80cj
Web Wheeler
 
80cj's Avatar
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfain View Post
does anyone have a set. maybe someone who lifted there 5 and isnt using the stock springs. all i need is the stock ones. mine are flat in the back and almost flat in the front. i thought id look here first before i looked into getting them rearched
I tried rearcing mine. They didn't retain the height very long. Ended up going to 2" lift kit. I think the problem was that in rearcing the springs, all they did was cold bend them. It's called resetting. Perhaps if you found a spring shop that did actual re-heat treatment, it may hold. But then you might be into the equivalent cost of anew set of springs.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
Tfain
Registered User
1978 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lutz, Florida
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
I tried rearcing mine. They didn't retain the height very long. Ended up going to 2" lift kit. I think the problem was that in rearcing the springs, all they did was cold bend them. It's called resetting. Perhaps if you found a spring shop that did actual re-heat treatment, it may hold. But then you might be into the equivalent cost of anew set of springs.
thanks. thats why i wanted to ask here first. i have an SOA lift so i dont want to put anymore lift on it but i want it to sit higher than it does now but im low on founds. after getting my driveshaft im broke
Tfain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
80cj
Web Wheeler
 
80cj's Avatar
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfain View Post
thanks. thats why i wanted to ask here first. i have an SOA lift so i dont want to put anymore lift on it but i want it to sit higher than it does now but im low on founds. after getting my driveshaft im broke
Maybe you can find some leaves off another spring pack and add them in. I've cut spring leaves to length with a metal cut off saw. Too bad you're not my neighbor. I have a bunch of spring packs under my house.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
Pathkiller
Registered User
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lorton, VA
Posts: 2,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfain View Post
thanks. thats why i wanted to ask here first. i have an SOA lift so i dont want to put anymore lift on it but i want it to sit higher than it does now but im low on founds. after getting my driveshaft im broke
Well the bad news is that if you add more lift your new driveshaft will probably be too short.
__________________
74 CJ5 complete frame off restoration
82 CJ8 Scrambler Laredo. 4.6L stroker AX15 D300.
Pathkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
Tfain
Registered User
1978 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lutz, Florida
Posts: 579
i got it cut a little bit longer just for that reson. its not going to make that big of a difference. im just going from worn out springs to new stock springs
Tfain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.