Need to know how to install my own lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need to know how to install my own lift

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-06-2002, 11:27 PM   #1
Hsoj

Need to know how to install my own lift

I might actually be getting my CJ in the next week, I am going to look at it on sunday to make sure everything is good with it.

My question is this...it comes with a 2.5" Rancho lift. Is there instructions online or can anyone tell me how to put it on a 83 CJ7?

I know it is probably alot harder than you can post on here but any links to walkthroughs would be great. I am just trying to figure out if I can do it myself or if I am going to have to pay for install. thanks.

1992 YJ, 4cyl, 4" lift, 33" Dueler AT's, KC daylighters, much more to come soon!
Hsoj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2002, 12:06 AM   #2
rustyCJ

it comes with a 2.5 rancho lift? what do you mean? i am going to assume since you asking how to put it on you mean lift springs, anything else?

if you have basic understanding of mechanics and a decent set of tools you should easily beable to put it on in a day. just do a search with "installing jeep lift" or something along those lines and you will come up with more than enough information.
Unread 11-07-2002, 08:46 AM   #3
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

Rancho wil send you instructions, but you do't really need them, except maybe for tourque specs . . . which I don't know off the top of my head.

In a nutshell, jack and support the frame, one end at a time is easy. Jack the rear and block the front wheels. Next, jack the rear axle and remove rear wheels and shocks. Jack it just enought to support it, not to compress the springs. Losen the U-bolts, then losen the spring eye bolt, than remove U-bolts, and finally remove spring eye bolts and the spring. This way has worked for me, but frozen bolts and tension caused by the spring may have you jacking or lowering the axle a bit while dong all of this.

Install new springs in the opposite manner, but do all final tourquing with the vehicle on the ground, having compressed the spring a few times.

Then repeat for the front.

Again, no guaruntee, but I've done two in this general manner.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2002, 08:21 PM   #4
SamFromCO

It seems to me like I had to remove the rear shackle hangers to get the shackle bolts out of the hanger. If you're not replacing them I guess that you won't have to worry about it. I'm not sure what comes with the kit. I suggest that you get some PB Blaster and spray everything that will be unbolted a day or two before you do the work.
SamFromCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2002, 08:28 PM   #5
SamFromCO

Another thought. Since you're going to be owning a CJ this would be a good project to do yourself. Get used to working on it because you'll probably be doing it regularly. The good news is that they are usually not that hard to work on yourself. I'm sure that if you have any problems installing the lift kit you can post them here and get the help that you need.
SamFromCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2002, 09:37 AM   #6
Hsoj

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP GUYS!!

I am going to look at the jeep on sunday, will probably get it by next weekend. I am 100% sure I will be coming to you guys with questions.

That was my thought behind it. instead of paying a couple hundred $$ to get it installed, I can do it for free and also learn about my new baby.

Wish me luck on my purchase!! I hope it runs as good as it looks in pictures! If I do get it you guys will be the first to know/see it.

On a side note: I just wanted to say that this forum is great. I have posted on a few subjects so far that I have know that I am going to need to know about and have gotten nothing but great help! I have a friend with a 4Runner and he has an awsome forum that has helped him do a bunch to his truck. I am glad to know that there is at least one jeep forum like that!

thanks

1992 YJ, 4cyl, 4" lift, 33" Dueler AT's, KC daylighters, much more to come soon!
Hsoj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.