Need info on fuel lines from gas tank..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need info on fuel lines from gas tank.....

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
StormRider01
1977 CJ7 

Need info on fuel lines from gas tank.....

So I think that my CJ hesitates every time I pump gas because the gas tank is not vent right.

Right now on the driver's side at the top of the tank towards the front, I have 2 hoses that connect to 2 metal lines that goes straight to the motor. One is the main line to the fuel pump and the other is the return line from the carburetor. There is another metal line but it is cut at the frame around the fender and it is also not connected to anything at the top of the tank. Now at the top of the tank in the back, I have 2 short metal lines that come out and there is a short rubber hose that connects from one line to the other and I don't think that it's correct because if it's a vent, then it's going out of the line and back into the tank. I don't see any kind of check valve or anything on these lines. Can some one please tell me how these lines should be hooked up?

Thanks,
Storm

Unread 09-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You probably need a new fuel filter, spark plugs and a distributor cap and plugs.
Unread 09-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The vent line should probably just be, well, vented, with a small filter on it. If this is a new issue, I'd lean towards tune up as already suggested, or perhaps issues with carb.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
StormRider01
1977 CJ7 

Well I know it doesn't need a tune up because I just rebuilt the motor less than 500 miles ago with new everything except the carb. It runs great except when I go to pump gas in it then it won't start without me going wide open on the carb and it still cuts off most of the time. If I let it sit a few hours then it runs fine. I somehow think that it's a venting issue with the gas. It doesn't have a charcoal canister, just a hose to the pump from the tank and another for return from the carb. Seems like the only way to vent to tank right now is through the cap.
Unread 09-26-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
cj7ole
1984 CJ7 

No check valve or rollover valve? Do a search to find how they get hooked up to the two extra tubes coming from your tank. I believe they involve tank venting. I know there is a diagram somewhere. I'll let you find it.
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
StormRider01
1977 CJ7 

Yeah, no roll over valve, liquid check valve or charcoal canister. If those things are needed to fix my problem then I want to replace them. If not, then I can do without them since inspections in my county is pretty easy where they only do a safety inspection. What do you guys think?
Unread 09-26-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
scottymac62
1977 CJ5 

Here's a pic for you.
copyofcheckvalverouting.jpg  
'77 CJ-5 Renegade 304 / T-150, Dana 20, 30/20 axles, Aussie Locker in the Dana 30, American Racing 15x10 Outlaw II's, 33" Dynapro M/T's" ,Optima Battery, TeamRushed + Summit Racing CDI ignition, FlowKooler water pump, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, Holley 4160 390cfm, Herculiner, Silver Ceramic Coated Hedman Hedders, Flowmaster 40's.
Warn PowerPlant HD 12K Winch, Dirtworx front and rear bumpers.
scottymac62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2011, 07:18 AM   #8
cj7ole
1984 CJ7 

Now that is a valuable pic for any CJ owner. Ought to make it a stickey. And a really clean frame/tank/axle combo, looks new. Wish mine were in that good of a shape. Ah, from GA, no road salt.
Unread 09-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
StormRider01
1977 CJ7 

Update. I fix my hesitation problem after pumping gas. I somehow hooked the fuel return line to the bottom of the carb because that's how the PO had it hooked up. I should have checked. Anyways it was pulling vacuum or gas in my cause into the carb and flooding it especially when tank was full. So I bought myself the correct fuel filter with 1 in and 2 out and hooked the fuel return line to it and that fixed my problem! Thanks for all the help guys.

Storm.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.