need ideas for painting a cj - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > need ideas for painting a cj

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-16-2002, 08:11 AM   #16
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I dropped about $150 to do the tub, hood, and grill. Then, I went back and picked up more to finish the windshield frame and fenders for like.. $65. Okay... I spent a bit more than $200 but you get the point And I did do some welding in exchange for a nice Devilbliss gun and a few years back I did purchase a 5hp compressor. You guys are welcome to bring your Jeeps over to my house and use my stuff. We'll spray it in the backyard.. make a Jeep party out of it!

Hey Cory, I like the flames.. where at in VA?

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet

Last edited by BESRK; 11-16-2002 at 08:14 AM..
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2002, 09:26 AM   #17
JeeperTim

Quote:
Originally posted by BESRK
I dropped about $150 to do the tub, hood, and grill. Then, I went back and picked up more to finish the windshield frame and fenders for like.. $65. Okay... I spent a bit more than $200 but you get the point And I did do some welding in exchange for a nice Devilbliss gun and a few years back I did purchase a 5hp compressor. You guys are welcome to bring your Jeeps over to my house and use my stuff. We'll spray it in the backyard.. make a Jeep party out of it!

Hey Cory, I like the flames.. where at in VA?
I'm sorry, I just find it really hard to believe, especially after checking SW's "Ultra7000" line prices....

For instance:
UB2739 Basecoat (I priced the pre-packaged black because it's cheaper than mixed base like you have on your Jeep) =$133.22

1 Gallon CC940 Clearcoat=$174

Those two things alone are over $300 and that doesn't include primers, catalysts, reducers, etc. You did use primer, right?

Are you sure that isn't a spray bomb job in disguise? No offense meant, but it looks very low in gloss for a BC/CC paint job.

Nothing against DeVillbiss either, but I wouldn't use even their best gun for a high-end BC/CC job. If you want the best finish, Sata guns are the way to go.

Sorry, guys, but it is impossible to do a BC/CC job for this low a cost unless you have a relative that is a rep for the paint company. Perhaps you misplaced some of your receipts for 3/4 of the materials and didn't add those costs in?

I'm not trying to sound like a know-it-all, or come off as being nasty, but I've been in this business for many many years and have a pretty good idea of how things work and how much they cost. Anyone telling you they can do a complete, much less decent BC/CC job for $300 is misleading you. Sorry, but it's the truth.

Tim
JeeperTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2002, 09:52 AM   #18
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

A gallon? Is that how much I should've used on my 71? I only did it with about half of that. And dude... I know ya gotta keep business coming through the door of your resto shop but Jeepers, for the most part, are an innovative, make-due-with-whatcha-got breed (and guys like me don't do your business any good so I understand where you're coming from). I beg, borrow, trade, and sell to support my Jeep habit. If I were gonna do nothing but show my CJ and cruise the mall with it, then I might go about half of what you suggest ($1000). However, I can't resist muddy trails, rocky outcroppings, and paint scraping tree branches so I gotta stay Devilbliss cheap And Tim.. I checked out your site. You do nice stock resto type work but most of us can't afford a high end spray booth like yours

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2002, 01:35 PM   #19
JeeperTim

Quote:
Originally posted by BESRK
A gallon? Is that how much I should've used on my 71? I only did it with about half of that. And dude... I know ya gotta keep business coming through the door of your resto shop but Jeepers, for the most part, are an innovative, make-due-with-whatcha-got breed (and guys like me don't do your business any good so I understand where you're coming from). I beg, borrow, trade, and sell to support my Jeep habit. If I were gonna do nothing but show my CJ and cruise the mall with it, then I might go about half of what you suggest ($1000). However, I can't resist muddy trails, rocky outcroppings, and paint scraping tree branches so I gotta stay Devilbliss cheap And Tim.. I checked out your site. You do nice stock resto type work but most of us can't afford a high end spray booth like yours
If you sprayed 3-5 coats of base, yes, a gallon of paint would be about right. Mixed 1:1 with reducer would give you 2 gallons RTS (Ready To Spray)

Yes, I've seen many of the "innovations" of Jeepers and all I can say is "YIKES!" I'm amazed there aren't more roll overs, major mechanical and structural failures and deaths resulting from shoddy workmanship and half baked fabrications.

I guess it's just a difference of opinion and tastes. I like to use the best materials I can buy and take care of vehicles whereas others like to slap stuff together and beat the heck out of them. Each to his own I guess.... Good luck
JeeperTim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2002, 01:20 PM   #20
green eyed son

i just finished my cj7 not to long ago.
i spray bombed it myself for less than 50 bucks & i think that it looks pretty darn good
if you are planning to just wheel it that is what i suggest cuz its just going to get torn up & you wont have much into it. & you could spend the dough on some performance mods
the herculiner is a good idea. iwas thinking of doing my whole jeep in it. be sure to apply it thick, we applied it to my friends tub 2 summers age & it held up pretty good but it has peeled a little where we only put on one coat. i would also go to the hardware store and get a drill bit , like to stir drywall mud, & stir it with that so that your sure all the granules are well mixed in. good luck
Unread 11-18-2002, 07:26 AM   #21
CoryB

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeperTim

I believe he said he was "restoring" his Jeep, not building a trail runner. In a "restoration", you should use correct materials and professional techniques. Too many people lose value in their vehicles by not repairing them correctly, using sub-standard materials, etc.
I agree with you 100% here.

However, markpat3 said, "I plan to finish the inside of the tub with herculiner." which means he's not doing a true restoration.

Perhaps he's refurbishing or modifying it, but a restoration, as you stated, uses nothing but factory correct parts and materials. Having attempted to restore a vehicle, I know the pain and expense of running down all of the correct parts.

Personally I'd say he should finish it however he likes and can afford - I was just making a suggestion, as he originially requested.
CoryB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2002, 07:46 AM   #22
markpat3

Sorry about the confusion on this topic!!

I guess I am doing a partial restoration. I am fixing the jeep up as best I can afford at the time. I don't really need it to be all original; I just want it to look good and be as durable finish as I can afford.

At the time I can't shell out $1500 for a paint job. I wish I could, but right now it is just not feasible. The way it sounds so far, all I can afford to do at this point is "spray bomb" it.

I really appreciate all of your responses.

If there are still good tips left on how to make a "spray bomb" job look good, I am still open for suggestions.
markpat3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.