need ideas for painting a cj - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > need ideas for painting a cj

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-16-2002, 08:11 AM   #16
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I dropped about $150 to do the tub, hood, and grill. Then, I went back and picked up more to finish the windshield frame and fenders for like.. $65. Okay... I spent a bit more than $200 but you get the point And I did do some welding in exchange for a nice Devilbliss gun and a few years back I did purchase a 5hp compressor. You guys are welcome to bring your Jeeps over to my house and use my stuff. We'll spray it in the backyard.. make a Jeep party out of it!

Hey Cory, I like the flames.. where at in VA?

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet

Last edited by BESRK; 11-16-2002 at 08:14 AM..
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2002, 09:26 AM   #17
JeeperTim

Quote:
Originally posted by BESRK
I dropped about $150 to do the tub, hood, and grill. Then, I went back and picked up more to finish the windshield frame and fenders for like.. $65. Okay... I spent a bit more than $200 but you get the point And I did do some welding in exchange for a nice Devilbliss gun and a few years back I did purchase a 5hp compressor. You guys are welcome to bring your Jeeps over to my house and use my stuff. We'll spray it in the backyard.. make a Jeep party out of it!

Hey Cory, I like the flames.. where at in VA?
I'm sorry, I just find it really hard to believe, especially after checking SW's "Ultra7000" line prices....

For instance:
UB2739 Basecoat (I priced the pre-packaged black because it's cheaper than mixed base like you have on your Jeep) =$133.22

1 Gallon CC940 Clearcoat=$174

Those two things alone are over $300 and that doesn't include primers, catalysts, reducers, etc. You did use primer, right?

Are you sure that isn't a spray bomb job in disguise? No offense meant, but it looks very low in gloss for a BC/CC paint job.

Nothing against DeVillbiss either, but I wouldn't use even their best gun for a high-end BC/CC job. If you want the best finish, Sata guns are the way to go.

Sorry, guys, but it is impossible to do a BC/CC job for this low a cost unless you have a relative that is a rep for the paint company. Perhaps you misplaced some of your receipts for 3/4 of the materials and didn't add those costs in?

I'm not trying to sound like a know-it-all, or come off as being nasty, but I've been in this business for many many years and have a pretty good idea of how things work and how much they cost. Anyone telling you they can do a complete, much less decent BC/CC job for $300 is misleading you. Sorry, but it's the truth.

Tim
JeeperTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2002, 09:52 AM   #18
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

A gallon? Is that how much I should've used on my 71? I only did it with about half of that. And dude... I know ya gotta keep business coming through the door of your resto shop but Jeepers, for the most part, are an innovative, make-due-with-whatcha-got breed (and guys like me don't do your business any good so I understand where you're coming from). I beg, borrow, trade, and sell to support my Jeep habit. If I were gonna do nothing but show my CJ and cruise the mall with it, then I might go about half of what you suggest ($1000). However, I can't resist muddy trails, rocky outcroppings, and paint scraping tree branches so I gotta stay Devilbliss cheap And Tim.. I checked out your site. You do nice stock resto type work but most of us can't afford a high end spray booth like yours

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2002, 01:35 PM   #19
JeeperTim

Quote:
Originally posted by BESRK
A gallon? Is that how much I should've used on my 71? I only did it with about half of that. And dude... I know ya gotta keep business coming through the door of your resto shop but Jeepers, for the most part, are an innovative, make-due-with-whatcha-got breed (and guys like me don't do your business any good so I understand where you're coming from). I beg, borrow, trade, and sell to support my Jeep habit. If I were gonna do nothing but show my CJ and cruise the mall with it, then I might go about half of what you suggest ($1000). However, I can't resist muddy trails, rocky outcroppings, and paint scraping tree branches so I gotta stay Devilbliss cheap And Tim.. I checked out your site. You do nice stock resto type work but most of us can't afford a high end spray booth like yours
If you sprayed 3-5 coats of base, yes, a gallon of paint would be about right. Mixed 1:1 with reducer would give you 2 gallons RTS (Ready To Spray)

Yes, I've seen many of the "innovations" of Jeepers and all I can say is "YIKES!" I'm amazed there aren't more roll overs, major mechanical and structural failures and deaths resulting from shoddy workmanship and half baked fabrications.

I guess it's just a difference of opinion and tastes. I like to use the best materials I can buy and take care of vehicles whereas others like to slap stuff together and beat the heck out of them. Each to his own I guess.... Good luck
JeeperTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2002, 01:20 PM   #20
green eyed son

i just finished my cj7 not to long ago.
i spray bombed it myself for less than 50 bucks & i think that it looks pretty darn good
if you are planning to just wheel it that is what i suggest cuz its just going to get torn up & you wont have much into it. & you could spend the dough on some performance mods
the herculiner is a good idea. iwas thinking of doing my whole jeep in it. be sure to apply it thick, we applied it to my friends tub 2 summers age & it held up pretty good but it has peeled a little where we only put on one coat. i would also go to the hardware store and get a drill bit , like to stir drywall mud, & stir it with that so that your sure all the granules are well mixed in. good luck
Unread 11-18-2002, 07:26 AM   #21
CoryB

Quote:
Originally posted by JeeperTim

I believe he said he was "restoring" his Jeep, not building a trail runner. In a "restoration", you should use correct materials and professional techniques. Too many people lose value in their vehicles by not repairing them correctly, using sub-standard materials, etc.
I agree with you 100% here.

However, markpat3 said, "I plan to finish the inside of the tub with herculiner." which means he's not doing a true restoration.

Perhaps he's refurbishing or modifying it, but a restoration, as you stated, uses nothing but factory correct parts and materials. Having attempted to restore a vehicle, I know the pain and expense of running down all of the correct parts.

Personally I'd say he should finish it however he likes and can afford - I was just making a suggestion, as he originially requested.
CoryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2002, 07:46 AM   #22
markpat3

Sorry about the confusion on this topic!!

I guess I am doing a partial restoration. I am fixing the jeep up as best I can afford at the time. I don't really need it to be all original; I just want it to look good and be as durable finish as I can afford.

At the time I can't shell out $1500 for a paint job. I wish I could, but right now it is just not feasible. The way it sounds so far, all I can afford to do at this point is "spray bomb" it.

I really appreciate all of your responses.

If there are still good tips left on how to make a "spray bomb" job look good, I am still open for suggestions.
markpat3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.