need ideas for painting a cj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > need ideas for painting a cj

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-07-2002, 08:00 AM   #1
markpat3

need ideas for painting a cj

I am restoring a 79 cj. I have removed the body from the frame and plan to clean what rust there is, primer it, and paint it. I am going to do both the frame and the body. I plan to finish the inside of the tub with herculiner.

Can anyone give me any suggestions for the least expensive, but effective way to paint this thing. Will spray paint last? Do I need to invest in a paint gun? Or should I do all the prep work and have someone paint it for me?

markpat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2002, 09:01 AM   #2
JeeperTim

Painting advice

For the average DIYer, todays paints (Acrylic Urethane) cost too much and are VERY hazardous to your health. Some requirements are a good quality spray gun (average price $200-$400) large compressor to power said spray gun ($500-$1000) then you need a fresh air respirator because Urethanes contain isocyanates which are extremely bad for your health. You also need a good sized garage that you can clean up, install intake and exhaust venting, etc...

If you love your Jeep, as all of us do, don't use a spray bomb to paint it. Not even on the inside.

In a nutshell, here is my painting operation on the Jeep restorations I do.

1. Remove rusted out panels and weld in new ones (floors, sides, rear corners, windshield frame, etc)

2. Media blast the entire tub, fenders, hood, windshield frame, tail gate... Basically get everything down to bare metal.

3. 3-4 good coats of POR-15 on the entire interior and underside. Scuff the POR 15 and use ruberized undercoating on the underside.

4. Epoxy prime the tub and all exterior body parts with PPG's DPxxLF.

5. Body filler where needed and board sand it flat.

6. 3-4 good wet coats of PPG K36 Primer/Surfacer. Block sand with 320. Repeat this process until substrate is perfectly level and smooth. Spray one more coat of K36 and wet sand with 600 grit.

7. 3-4 coats of PPG DBC urethane basecoat

8. 2-3 coats of PPG DCU2021 or DCU2035 clear coat. After cure, wet sand with 600 then spray 1 more wet coat of clear.

9. Color sand the clear until perfectly flat and smooth (remove any orange peel, dust nibs, etc)

10. Compound, Buff and polish to a glass-like shine and depth.

The paint materials listed above, plus the hardeners, activators, cleaners, etc will cost the DIYer around $1000-$1500 depending on your local paint supplier's prices.

If you're *really* into trying this yourself, and you have decent facilities and patience, I say "go for it"! Just be prepared to spend a ton of money, time to research and read all the paint tech sheets and learn a lot (some things the hard way unfortunately)
If you have any questions, just let me know. HTH

Tim
Performance Truck & Auto
JeeperTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2002, 09:02 AM   #3
JeeperTim

PS....

You can see photos of my latest Jeep restoration here: http://www.PerformanceTruckandAuto.com

Tim
Unread 11-07-2002, 09:44 AM   #4
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

I did all my own prep and had it painted.

Check out my CJ restoration at the link below.
Unread 11-07-2002, 10:32 AM   #5
onesojourner

well my personal opinion is if you have a machine that you are taking off road and a very limited amount of funds i say do it yourself. bc more than likely its going to get busted up and them your going to be pissed bc you cant fix it. i have a crap paint job and when it gets messed up im like eh oh well.
onesojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2002, 04:25 PM   #6
rustyCJ

the best and most durable paintjob i have ever seen was a tub powdercoated. i was working at a place that manufactured/painted the giant parts on CAT, kamatsu, and john deere tractors along with a lot of other things. a guy was restoring his jeep and when get got his new steel tub he brought it in and hung it on the line when they were painting the black winnebago parts. it came out looking great and now three years later it still looks good.
Unread 11-08-2002, 12:20 PM   #7
CoryB

Really the first thing you need to decide is what you're going to use the Jeep for.

Is it a street rig? A cruiser? A trail rig?

They all deserve their own particular type of paint job.

Street rig - get a decent paint job. Maaco (ugh) can do a halfway decent job if you want it to be one colour.

Cruiser - go with what JeeperTim suggested and get a mirror finish paint job. Just be sure to park it somewhere safe from harm.

Trail rig - SPRAY BOMB IT!

My DD TJ has the factory paint on it, a bit scuffed and a few minor dings, but it still looks presentable when it's clean.

The CJ7 I'm rebuilding is going to be for 90% trail use. As such, it's painted with Rustoleum. WHEN, not if, it gets trail rash, I can touch it up with a spray can.

Here's a pic of our Rustoleum'd CJ7

Those are all off-the-shelf spray paint colors.
CoryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2002, 08:56 PM   #8
GTSCJ

I bombed mine, people think its a professional job. Mine is a daily driver/trail rig and the paint has held up good for 2 years. I used Krylon. If you spray bomb it, only use the can untill the pressure drops and then turn the can upside down and spray the paint out of the nozzle and wipe the nozzle with thinner. Then set it some place warm, I used an old oven with the temp at about 110 deg. This will bring the pressure back up. Shake up about 4 cans at a time so you can switch quickly to keep the paint wet. Don't put a new coat on to soon or the paint will dull because the solvents in the coat before wont have a chance to work out. Don't put a new coat on to late eather. Mask off one section at a time, this is important, spray paint drys quick and if you try to large of an area your next sweep may be rough. The nice thing about spray paint is if you try it and you can't make it look the way you want you have'nt wasted a lot of money. Good luck!
GTSCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2002, 08:04 PM   #9
cj5mudman4x4

Unless u are going to show the jeep i wouldnt put all the work that jeeper tim said, listen to CoryB. spray it urself for like 100 bucks tops. if u scrape it u scrape it. just make sure u tape everything good, duh. i am in an offroad club, Independent Offroad, and a guy in it has a sprayer and does cars on the side. he is painting it for free, i just gotta get the paint, i got lucky, if i didnt have him i would spray paint it off the shelf of lowes or walmart.

so whatever, just dont put a lot of money in the paint for a trail jeep!

goodluck
INDEPENDENT OFFROAD member Bowling Green, Ky
cj5mudman4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2002, 08:35 AM   #10
JeeperTim

Quote:
Originally posted by cj5mudman4x4
Unless u are going to show the jeep i wouldnt put all the work that jeeper tim said, listen to CoryB. spray it urself for like 100 bucks tops. if u scrape it u scrape it. just make sure u tape everything good, duh. i am in an offroad club, Independent Offroad, and a guy in it has a sprayer and does cars on the side. he is painting it for free, i just gotta get the paint, i got lucky, if i didnt have him i would spray paint it off the shelf of lowes or walmart.

so whatever, just dont put a lot of money in the paint for a trail jeep!

goodluck
I believe he said he was "restoring" his Jeep, not building a trail runner. In a "restoration", you should use correct materials and professional techniques. Too many people lose value in their vehicles by not repairing them correctly, using sub-standard materials, etc.

Let's face it, most Jeep owners drive their vehicles 95% on road and 5% off road. If it were the opposite, any old rust bucket or spray bomb job would do.

No offense to you spray bombers out there, but even a mediocre basecoat/clearcoat job far outperforms the best spray bomb job both in longevity and looks. It's not about having a show vehicle, it's about having something that looks good and you can take pride in. The extra cost is well worth it in the long run.

If it's not too much trouble, I'd be interested in knowing what your friend is using for paint equipment and what kind of paint are you going to be buying.
Unread 11-15-2002, 11:19 AM   #11
4wheeler4CJ

If you like the textured look, think about using Zolatone. That's what I'll be using on my '77 project. Durable as hell for off-road, and looks real awesome on a Jeep!

Check it out!

www.zolatone.com

4wheeler4CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2002, 04:12 PM   #12
TG CJ7

Im planning on painting my Jeep this December. It was last painted by my dad in '98. We used black enamal, not the basecoat clearcoat. Paint, Reducer, and hardner cost me just under a hundred bucks. I had less than 150 tied up in the whole thing, it looked good. I would suggest you go to the library and get a book on it. If you want to do it yourself and do it right you can.
I've got a related question. The guns dad had seem to be pretty worn out. I've tried to find rebuild Kits for them with no luck (they are over 30 years old). He had a Devilbiss, a Sharpe, and some other gun with no name or numbers on it. I think he used to like the Sharpe the best. My mom just got me a Campells Hausfield Gravity feed gun for my b-day. Im just wondering if this is a good gun or should I go with the Brands my Dad used. Is there even any difference between guns.
Thanks
Tim

Check it out 1979 CJ7
TG CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2002, 06:13 PM   #13
JeeperTim

Quote:
Originally posted by TG CJ7
Im planning on painting my Jeep this December. It was last painted by my dad in '98. We used black enamal, not the basecoat clearcoat. Paint, Reducer, and hardner cost me just under a hundred bucks. I had less than 150 tied up in the whole thing, it looked good. I would suggest you go to the library and get a book on it. If you want to do it yourself and do it right you can.
I've got a related question. The guns dad had seem to be pretty worn out. I've tried to find rebuild Kits for them with no luck (they are over 30 years old). He had a Devilbiss, a Sharpe, and some other gun with no name or numbers on it. I think he used to like the Sharpe the best. My mom just got me a Campells Hausfield Gravity feed gun for my b-day. Im just wondering if this is a good gun or should I go with the Brands my Dad used. Is there even any difference between guns.
Thanks
Tim
Acrylic Enamel is outdated nowadays. I mean it works, but it's much more difficult to repair than a BC/CC system and the shine and color properties are not as good.

Conventional siphon feed guns like the ones your dad has are also very outdated. I wouldn't even bother using them for primers because they are just too wasteful.

The Hausfeld gun you mention, is it the DH series? If so, it will be fine for primers, but I'd suggest getting a high quality HVLP gun for your paint work. HVLP guns are more expensive, but they will save you money on materials because they are MUCH more efficient than non-HVLP guns. Plan on spending at least $200 for a decent gun. Then you also have to make sure that your compressor produces enough CFM and has a large enough tank to supply whatever gun you choose.

It's always a good idea to download, print and study the tech sheets for whatever paint system you use. Also, if you use any products that have a catalyst or hardener, they most likely contain Isocyanates which are VERY harmful. Make sure you invest in a good air-supplied respirator system. Don't mess around with your health just to save a few hundred dollars.

It's all quite expensive, but remember, you're doing something that will last for a long, long time. I routinely spend $1000-$2000 just on materials for one paint job when you add up all the primers, hardeners, catalysts, paint, clear, etc, but the jobs I do are done right, with top notch materials and they last. The paint alone for the last Jeep restoration I did was $115/quart and it took 4.5 quarts.

So basically, just buy the best tools and materials you can afford, study the tech sheets, take your time and enjoy the work. If you have any questions, just let me know.
Unread 11-15-2002, 08:03 PM   #14
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I picked up Sherwood Williams BC/CC Ultra 7000 and sprayed my CJ in the backyard for under $200. Turned out really well and has held up good so far. Of course, I've chipped it here and there but I expected that. When it gets bad enough, I'll probably just Herculine the whole outside of the Jeep and never worry about chips and scratches ever again.

Check it out..Eddie's 71CJ5

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet

Last edited by BESRK; 11-15-2002 at 08:05 PM..
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2002, 09:54 PM   #15
JeeperTim

Quote:
Originally posted by BESRK
I picked up Sherwood Williams BC/CC Ultra 7000 and sprayed my CJ in the backyard for under $200. Turned out really well and has held up good so far. Of course, I've chipped it here and there but I expected that. When it gets bad enough, I'll probably just Herculine the whole outside of the Jeep and never worry about chips and scratches ever again.

Check it out..Eddie's 71CJ5
$200 to paint an entire Jeep? I understand it's Sherwin Williams, and they are a pretty low-priced brand, but I was just checking their prices and it looks like just the base and clear alone would run about $300. That doesn't count the primers, catalysts, etc.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.