Need ideas on anti-theft device - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need ideas on anti-theft device

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 02-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #31
LargeAl
Dirt Gobbler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by george29223 View Post
at this point if a thief got my jeep cranked up and running id pat him on the back and give him a membership to this fourm
..your killing me george!

LargeAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #32
Volstitanfan

Yea, I have a Grant steering wheel and I just bought the anti-theft system.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRT-2001/
Hopefully it works!!!
Volstitanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 04:39 PM   #33
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveojeepster View Post
I have an MSD 6A ignition module in mine. It has a grounding wire that I ran through a small hidden switch. When grounded, the ignition is shut down and won't start.
Yes, that is what I have also. It would be the white colored wire that you would ground out with a switch to disable the ignition. The switch can be located anywhere you wish.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #34
Warthog4
1979 CJ7 

I have a plan to use a magnetic switch from Radio Shack.
You put the magnet over a certain area, and the circuit is complete- take it away, and fuel, ignition, etc. is cut off.

I like this idea, cause it is easy to just grab the magnet and go when you are in a hurry. If you think,"oh ****, did I flip the switch?",
You just look down at your key ring and make sure the magnet is there.

I heard about this method before, and this thread has me inspired to actually do it before I regret it.

I also have a knife switch on the + battery terminal for extended non-use with no battery drain. That is a nice little theft deterrent in not so nice areas.

Edit-
Here is a very lengthy explanation. This would be so much easier with our old CJ's.
http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sho...&highlight=ade

of course, a momentary contact switch to the coil would work just as well, if hidden in a locking console. That might be the way I go about it for now.
Warthog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #35
Chewtoy
1976 CJ5 

Steering wheel lock for <$20. Makes a nice club if you should need that too.
Unread 02-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #36
sherlocktk
1984 CJ7 

Has anyone thought/done wiring in a "blinker" relay to the coil that way the coil would be come energized and un-energized when the kill switch was in the off position, then when you bypass that with your hidden switch it would run great. Thay the theifs figure they just cant start the darn thing, because it would kick in and out?
sherlocktk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #37
Kdozier
1982 CJ7 

Battery brain gold, has remote battery shutoff, I like it so far
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. ~Bible, John 15:13
Kdozier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #38
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

I tried the shutoff switch when I did the Team Rush upgrade, but I could still start it up. I don't know if it has something to do with it being a Summit module instead of the MSD one, but I ran the wire to one side of a switch and a jumper off the other side to ground, but it still fired up. I think it was a white wire off the box, but I'm not 100% sure.
Dborns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #39
scotthawk55
1980 CJ7 

Pager alarm no horn, key pad indicates tampering up to 2 miles, motion sensor, shock sensor, alarm kills starter, ignition, and electric fuel pump. Relays and alarm mounted on the inside of the firewall not accessable with out dash removal. And if all that fails my Glock 10mm is the back-up.
Alpine, Kicker, JL sound
scotthawk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #40
gpets
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
A nice coat of primer gray works for me. I like the ideas, though. Taking notes on your Jeeps and home towns....
Would you like a street address as well?
gpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #41
dadgummit
1976 CJ7 

How about the 'ole reliable blaster?
dadgummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 11:59 PM   #42
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredrok View Post
If you don't want the engine to start, coil cutoff is the easiest. Unlike previously mentioned methods, there is no need to run 2 wires to interrupt the + side of the coil. That method exposes the risk if 2 wires through the firewall, etc. and rubbing/shorting out somewhere along the line, burning up the wire and possibly more and leaving you stranded. Just run one wire from the - side of the coil to a toggle switch and then ground the other side of the switch.

If you're running the Mopar MPFI, that method will fry the coil, so just interrupt the ground side of the fuel pump.
I would be afraid to try this one - you ground the coil with a switch you are going to be walking unless you can plug in your spare DS module in - I imagine they'd cook the module or even coil trying to start it.

Walkerhound - I was kinda thinking the same thing - what good is the security devices if you tell exactly where they are and what they do? I'd maybe say "I have a switch that ...." but I wouldn't say where it is hidden!

Those "Club devices are useless - either cut the wheel thru to remove it or just drive with it on - no top to block it, only the seat; don't make any major turns you'll be ok!

I like the idea of the magnet trick, but think about if you are on the trail - a good jar to the Jeep and it may knock the magnet off..

The flasher relay would be kinda funny - it'd start for a second then shut down. I'd maybe get an electronic one and adjust the flash time out, so it'd stay on for 2 seconds then die - I'd be like

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #43
fredrok
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
I would be afraid to try this one - you ground the coil with a switch you are going to be walking unless you can plug in your spare DS module in - I imagine they'd cook the module or even coil trying to start it.
Dunno Cutlass. I've used that method on all of my Jeeps and in some instances have tried to start it, forgetting the switch was on. Never had a problem.
Unread 02-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #44
Warthog4
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post

I like the idea of the magnet trick, but think about if you are on the trail - a good jar to the Jeep and it may knock the magnet off..
It actually uses a Magnetic Reed Switch. I was mistaken on how they did it- I thought the magnet had to be stuck to it.

The switch is activated when the magnet is within 3/4 inch of it. When you shut the ignition off, switch is disabled. You only need the switch active to start, not run.
Warthog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #45
rdsk8ter
1982 CJ7 

I had a buddy that had his rdio stolen twice in a week the third radio is going on 5 years now without being stolen.... he rivited razors and fish hooks to the back side blood stained carpet stays there as a reminder that the dont want to steal his radio
rdsk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.