need help!!!!! way way to much flex in my shackles!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > need help!!!!! way way to much flex in my shackles!!!!

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 10-24-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
angrytiquito

need help!!!!! way way to much flex in my shackles!!!!

As it says i have way to much flex in my shackles
Need tp get rid a them n replace my bushings says preformance off road owner and i agree with him
Just to broke to aford a lift kit and never had the origonal shackles when i got my 84 7
So im going to make a set at work out of 3/8 inch stainless
What u guys think
Im gunna try 5 inch with 4 on center holes
The ones on there now r 8 inches with 7 on center
Was also thinking on makeing new bigger spring perches to bolt in place of existing to keep my tie rods where they belong but giveing me a good sizeable lift

angrytiquito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
angrytiquito

Also where can i get a spring over axle kit
Unread 10-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytiquito View Post
Also where can i get a spring over axle kit
Your first post you said you were too poor to afford a lift but now your interested in a SOA kit? I think Full Traction makes an SOA kit, most people make their own. All things considered, it's somewhat cheap, but it's not a mod if you don't have the space, tools, or talent.

For the shackles, you can make your own, or there are people here that will fab up a nice set for a decent price. I think 4" OC was close to stock height and will be the most stable. If the rears are something hideous like the fronts, replace them too. Longer shackles are a poor man's lift and they come with a host of issues, including steering geometry and pinion angles.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Shackles don't affect flex, unless there to short ( spring rates do),Factory length shackles allow enough for the axle to touch the bump stop, Or. are you saying to much side to side movement of the shackels. because of worn bushings. Sounds like your current shackles are way to long anyway. Make the new ones.

The Jeep in yout profile looks to have a lift on it, or a body lift. The bump stops probabley were not relocated. while I'm
there fill it out

Have you done any research on the SOA, whats involved, and the cost to do it correctly.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

The stock shackles are stamped out of either 3/16" or 1/4" steel with centers at 3". Your 8" shackles with 7" centers are too long in my opinion, especially if there is no center block welded between the sides. I always cringe when I see just 2 slabs of metal down each size. This allows the spring and the mount to twist out of alignment and it also puts added stress on the bolts. I've run shackles for about 27 years and I think mine are pushing the limit at 5 3/8 on center but they are solid Con-Fer shackles, 5/16 thick sides with a square block welded between. Warrior Products makes a pretty stout pair of shackles for you to look at.
Renegade82 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 11:11 PM   #6
MrBeast
1980 CJ7 

Hit the auto salvage, get yourself 2 pairs of YJ rear springs, you will also need the shackle hanger that bolts to the frame.

Then you will need these.

OME Shackle Kit

And I'd suggest 2 pairs of these:

shackle brackets

And you will need these:

spring seats

You can reuse your U-bolts, and your spring plates.

This is everything you need to lift your jeep, make sure you get the spring seats back in the right place, and check your caster and drive line angles. It also may be necessary to install longer brake lines.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1980-cj7-first-jeep-build-1243620/"]80 CJ7 "The Kraken" - a project 25 years in the making[/URL] AMC 304 V8, NV4500, Dana 300, Dana 44, 9 inch, M.O.R.E. SRS, YJ tub.

AT3 US Navy 1999-2003

[B][SIZE="3"] Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt[/SIZE][/B]
[SIZE="1"](When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults)[/SIZE]
MrBeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2011, 05:02 AM   #7
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
Hit the auto salvage, get yourself 2 pairs of YJ rear springs, you will also need the shackle hanger that bolts to the frame.

Then you will need these.

OME Shackle Kit
Man, I can't afford those shackles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I bought the same thing from Currie for half the money and a tow bar to use with the shackles. I've got the same shackles on four Jeeps and 1 tow bar!
Unread 10-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #8
angrytiquito

Thank you all for all the advice
The shackles on the cj do have blocks welded in them but i know for sure that the bushings r bad
I got a set of bushhings that the po sent with the jeep
Ill proly just make the shackles
Had the laser operator burn me oyt some last night outa 3/8x3" stainless barstock ill just cut down some tubing to weld in the middle n vwala
As far as the spring over kit goes
Used to do it on old chevys all the time with my uncle
However have not priced one fer da cj
Thanx again
Unread 10-25-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
CSP

The only SOA "kit" that was ever worth a crap was the one that Rubicon Express built. No idea if it's still available since their bankruptcy and purchase by Transamerican.

Spring over done correctly is more expensive than an aftermarket lift kit.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #10
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Shackles don't affect flex.
Of course they do - especially overly long ones like the PO started out with. The longer the shackle, the longer the moment arm acting on the bushing and the more it will flex. Shackles with crossmembers and flat-faced bushings are more restrictive than those without crossmembers that are used with beveled bushings.

Run different shackle lengths and/or configurations on vehicles with identical spring and you will certainly end up with different amounts of travel. However, his problem is most likely that the long shackles are allowing the axle to swing crosscar underneath the vehicle, lending to a very unstable ride. Cutting his shackle length in half as he is planning will also improve his caster.

I don't think the PO needs to dive into a YJ spring swap. Correcting the problem the way he is setting out with the newer, shorter shackles will go a long way to improving his ride. Start there and observe the results.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #11
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog
Or. are you saying to much side to side movement of the shackels. because of worn bushings. Sounds like your current shackles are way to long anyway. Make the new .

The OP wasn't real clear on this, at least to me. I covered both bases.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #12
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have some stock YJ shackles I was planning on using on my CJ for a bit more lift (I believe I am at about 2" lift sitting on 32s). Are they worth using? I am not terribly familiar with the CJ setup, but I know a 1" lift (2" longer) is generally the longest shackle anyone recommends on a YJ. I figure the YJ shackles are in my garage (I added 1 3/4" longer boomerang shackles to my YJ, and they helped flex quite a bit).
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #13
angrytiquito

Also what size should my leaf spring bolts b
Im looking at them and (without takeing them out) they look like 5/16
To me that just seems a bit small i was thinking more like 3/8 at the least???!!
Unread 10-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #14
WoodyHD
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
To me that just seems a bit small i was thinking more like 3/8 at the least???!!
I'm pretty darn sure the shackle bolts are 1/2" and the main eye bolts are 9/16"
Well, at least they should be...
WoodyHD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2011, 05:23 AM   #15
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

Quote:
That's a big part of your problem. I bought a Jeep that had the same thing. 3/8" bolts with longer shakles. Funny thing that was the size bolts the shackles were drilled for. As I recall the bushings are 9/16" so that is the correct size bolts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.