Need help on tires, rims - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need help on tires, rims

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 03-20-2013, 04:59 AM   #1
450SLMercedes
1983 CJ5 

Need help on tires, rims

I have a stock CJ5 with only a small shackle lifted front to offset the winch weight.
I found some new rims in a pawnshop for cheap that fit (5 X 5 1/5) and are what I wanted as for the look.
Here's the deal. Rims are 17X9 with a back space of 5 1/4", which is pretty close to center. I haven't bought tire yet and want advice on what to buy if any for these rims. Will they work? Which tires (size ) would work with my rig. Driving will mostly be asphalt. Thanks

450SLMercedes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Lpat
1984 CJ7 

I am not sure what height would be best for you but width wise I would go with 12.50. 10.50 will work if all you do is drive on roads but 12.50 are a perfect fit on 9" wheels
Unread 03-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

I agree w/Lpat. Tire rack can give you a better answer if you input your vehicle info, and click on the +1 (size) option. They also tell you when you've gone to big at checkout. Like that can happen! IMHO I like BFG All Terrains for your applicatyion. But then again I usually drive on pavement instead of asphalt.
Unread 03-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
JeePete
1983 CJ7 

What did those rims come off of? Pawn shop prolly wont be much help....but I'd
try fitting them on the CJ first....

17" sounds like much newer (Jeep) vehicle, which the hubs are different.
JeePete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
Mr_Ranger
1978 CJ5 

So nobody is concerned about the 5 1/4" backspacing? Sounds like a lot to me.
Unread 03-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #6
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I'm having a hard time believing they fit. Mainly the center hole. Have you actually bolted them to the Jeep? I also think with a narrow trac axle you are going to have problems with tires rubbing the springs when turning, with any tire over a 9.50.
I guess it is possible someone special ordered these rims.
Did you actually measure the bolt hole pattern? Correctly?
This should be interesting to see work out.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
Lpat
1984 CJ7 

the backspacing may not be enough to clear the springs, but if you're getting them at a pawn shop I am assuming it is a good deal and since they are what you want you can get some wheel spacers for them. so even if the bolt pattern isn't right you can change that with spacers. tire size depends on what you are running right now, how much room you want there to bee from the top of re tire to the wheel well and if you're planning on going up a few inches rehearing can also be a factor
Unread 03-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
19jeep85
1985 CJ7 

Need help on tires, rims

5 x 51/4 is also the bolt pattern for 1/2 ton dodge from '94 on and they fit on CJ's, I've swapped mine a few times to see what 20's looked like on my CJ. I'd be concerned about the back spacing though and rubbing. Also make sure the center hole is large enough to fit the hubs on the front. A good P metric tire in 17" is a 265/70R 17 which are about 31" tall and 9.5" wide.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

"I've swapped mine a few times to see what 20's looked like on my CJ."---19jeep85
Halloween? Lose a bet? Just kidding. Any pics?
Unread 03-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
Mlaughlin8
1980 CJ5 

Be carefull!!! I bought 18x9 rockstars for my narrow track cj5 and I had to put wheels spacers just to keep the tire from smashing the frame in the rear... I put 1 1/2" spacers all the way around and now I clear all corners. Here is a pick with spacers and 33x12.5 mud grapplers!
image-1536486406.jpg   image-1394869159.jpg   image-534582830.jpg  
Mlaughlin8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
19jeep85
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch1200 View Post
"I've swapped mine a few times to see what 20's looked like on my CJ."---19jeep85
Halloween? Lose a bet? Just kidding. Any pics?
Now I didn't say they stayed on! But seriously I have a set of 35's mounted in 20's for my summer tires on my Ram and wanted to see what 35's on my CJ would look like after my lift was installed. So before buying a set, and since they weren't on my truck yet, I slapped them on the Jeep, drove around the hood quick...cranked the bass, wore my hat backward and drank a 40...then immediately took them off! Sorry no pictures but I may put them on again just for the street cred and photos!
Unread 03-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #12
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19jeep85 View Post
Now I didn't say they stayed on! But seriously I have a set of 35's mounted in 20's for my summer tires on my Ram and wanted to see what 35's on my CJ would look like after my lift was installed. So before buying a set, and since they weren't on my truck yet, I slapped them on the Jeep, drove around the hood quick...cranked the bass, wore my hat backward and drank a 40...then immediately took them off! Sorry no pictures but I may put them on again just for the street cred and photos!

In this case we need mugshot pics!
I wonder if my 20s from my '11 Big Horn Ram will work. I could pull that off, and make that **** look good!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.