Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Need Help With T-18

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  staplesmotorspo 
#1 ·
I have a t-18 I bought on ebay. It is a nice peice but I can not figure out what it is for the life of me. There are so many variations. The top cover has 13-01-097-907 and the side by pto port has 13-01-065-906 it apears to have about 7 an 3/8 of stick out on input shaft. The spot where pilot would ride is roughly 11/16 it has the jeep bolt pattern where you have to use the stud on a t150 bell housing. I am trying to find a clutch and pilot bearing that will work with this. Any help would be greatly apreciated. Part numbers would also be a big help. This is my first jeep build and I did it ground up this site has been awsome for help.

#2 ·
Based on the input shaft length it sounds like a '72-75 CJ version with the 4.03 first gear.

Do you have the correct bellhousing? That input shaft is too long to use with the T150 bellhousing.

You'll also need the diameter of the input shaft for the right clutch. It's probably 1-1/8".

#4 ·
I had planned to use the t-150 bell housing I have. Do they make a spacer so I can use that. The in-put shaft is close to 1 1/16 just slightly less than that. The novak site is great but the specs from this trans I do not see on there. These t-18's are great but they sure are hard to identify. Thanks for the help please keep it coming.

#11 ·
Its like the black one in pic has the flat side not the bulge on bottom for reverse. Its definatly 1 1/16 but the disc has a little more slop than i would like and the input shaft is not worn, Im at a loss here. Really getting frustrated. I do belive the t150 bell will work but I need to get disc problem figured out. Any ideas? I told myself I was going to get this figured out today it was my only goal for the day.

#12 ·
If you're using the T14 clutch disc I would expect some slop. They really are 1-1/8", which would be sloppy on a 1-1/16" input shaft.

If you've identified it as a '79 CJ T18, get a clutch disc for a '79 CJ with a T18.

I'm not sure why I thought it was the pre-76 T18. I measured one I have this weekend and the input shaft was 9-5/8" long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.