Need Help scoping out a possible new CJ5! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need Help scoping out a possible new CJ5!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #16
IJHope

Thanks for all the input guys, As far as where ill be driving it, itll mainly be a summer/light trails/beach ect... No huge rock crawling for this rig. Ive got a MASSIVE list of things to sort through and inspect inside and out on this thing and all the info on here has definitley helped.

As of now my main concerns going to look at the thing are
- Definitly give the frame a twice over, Checking for deep set rust especially around the rear supension pieces.
- Give it a good test drive, diffrent gears speeds watching rpms and looking out for any wandering of the front end.
- Shackel length on the front and rear is clearly a HUGE aspect. so ill be measuring those and making a judgement.
- And as long is that is all good and checks out i can start looking at the details of the rig!

IJHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 02:20 PM   #17
CjAl
1980 CJ7 

even if it has the long shackles they are cheap to replace. they don't give you that much lift anyways

the worst rust to look for is the last 6 inches of frame. there is no good drain holes behind the bump up for the rear axle so they rot out
CjAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #18
IJHope

So worst comes to absolute worst suspension wise id be looking to replace shackles and possibly a set of new leaf springs?
Unread 02-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #19
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Yep did miss that... read it a bit ago and came back and posted the extra pics. I also saw a dark spot or two above the rocker plate and looked like corrosion.
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 02:25 PM   #20
CjAl
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJHope View Post
So worst comes to absolute worst suspension wise id be looking to replace shackles and possibly a set of new leaf springs?
well it doesn't have enough lift for the tires. you see how close they are to the fenders. offroad the tires wold chew the fenders up and sit them out. especially being glass. personally I think 36's are too much. I'd just go with a 33 x14.5 and leave the springs
CjAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #21
IJHope

Ill be there around 4 pm tommorow. i plan on spending ALOT of time underneath it and doing quite a number of measurments......

Outside of all that, i feel as though ive completely overlooked the motor... it has the stock 258. Seeing as these things can be rebuilt like its nobodys business. Any places in perticular i should look/listen for noises or leaks?
Unread 02-26-2010, 06:49 PM   #22
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Take a piece of paper and a pencil to write down speeds and tach. readings. I would also take a GPS to correctly check speed. It probley would also help to have a friend help (saftey).Check the glass front clip for interferance with the front tires when opening. See how good the instlation is on the tub to frame, look for quality!

bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #23
IJHope

Great idea about the speeds and cross checking it with a GPS. Definitly plan on doing that one.
Cant wait to get down there and see it tommorow. Ill be sure to let you all know how it goes and if im rollin back in a new 79'
Unread 02-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #24
IJHope

Welllllll, That was a complete bust... the guy must have sent me old pictures. Body was beat like crazy, seperating everywhere. wherever there was metal there was rust and LOTS of it.....

Oh well.... everything happenes for a reason, anyway ive still got 2 more to see ;D
Unread 02-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #25
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Those wheel arches are too narrow for the tyres which I take as a sign of a half complete build.

It is tempting to jack up a Jeep and insert some large tyres which gives it a certain look but there is a lot more work to do to make it perform on road, such as gearing, power, steering and bodywork. The bodywork is easy and relatively cheap and required in most parts of the world so why not?

I was passed by one today in Port of Spain in Trinidad which appeared to be similair to your spec. I say passed but if I had broken into a trot I could have overtaken it as the gearing and engine power did not seem to match the wheels and jacked suspension and it must have been a pig to drive on road. It did not have wheel arch flares but the owner had invested in a semi-camouflage paint scheme and netting.

It looked nice.

The price is right IF the chassis is straight and not riddled with rot. As the back end has been replaced it may have had rust issues in the past, most have, so make sure it has been properly fixed.
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.