Need help replacing door handles 85 CJ-7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need help replacing door handles 85 CJ-7

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 09-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
Shas-85
1985 CJ7 

How to replace 85 CJ-7 outside door handles.

Hi all,
I am attempting to replace the outside door handles on my 85 CJ7 hard doors. I cannot see how to get to the handle. Most of what I am reading it looks like the latch cover(black in photos) should be removable, however on my doors this cover is riveted on.

Anyone out there with experience replacing their door handles can you take a look at my pics and tell me if this cover should be riveted? If it is supposed to be removable I will drill out the rivets.

Thanks!
Shay

imag1083.jpg   imag1084.jpg   imag1085.jpg   imag1086.jpg  

Last edited by Shas-85; 09-21-2014 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: improper title
Shas-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2014, 10:25 PM   #2
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

Here you go! This thread is pretty much definitive.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ga...ml#post8290416
CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2014, 10:58 PM   #3
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Drill out rivets, there are two more torx screws behind the seal, remove cover, swing away the rod latches, remove the inside handle/lock and two rods together out of that hole, remove the striker assembly and you'll see the backside of the outer handle, remove rod.

To remove handle, gently lift the lock tab at the bottom of each wedge (on the sides) with a small screwdriver, gently tap the wedge upward and the handle will come free. IN some cases, the glass may get in the way and might have to be removed. Dont pry against it or hit it for obvious reasons.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2014, 03:15 AM   #4
Shas-85
1985 CJ7 

Thanks a ton...this helps!!!
Shay
Shas-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.