Need help on rear end ID - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need help on rear end ID

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
LC77cj5
1977 CJ5 

Need help on rear end ID

I have a 77 CJ5. My problem is that I bought a rear end from a salvage yard because it had the one piece axles. The guys were not sure on the year of the jeep it came out of but said it was a CJ7 quadratrac. It has been
installed and working fine but one of the axle bearings went out.I pulled the axles and they had sealed bearings on them and not the typical cj bearing setup. I cannot find these sealed bearings anywhere. I need to know exactly what rear end i have. The numbers on top of the housing are 3227078 and if anybody knows where i might be able to find the bearings I would greatly appreciate it.

LC77cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
LKCJ
1983 CJ7 

Check this posting and see if it helps you!

Lance
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/am...d-help-728307/
LKCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 05:32 AM   #3
LC77cj5
1977 CJ5 

Figured it out finally! The one piece axles I have are the early Moser axles. To be able to use the typical setup with the tapered bearing and seals the axle has to be milled down. Moser has the specs on their site. They also still sell the sealed ball bearings that were on mine. Part # 9CJ57 and the mfg # on the bearing is RW903RCJ74. Maybe this will help someone in the future.
LC77cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.