Need help with radiator/pulley clearance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need help with radiator/pulley clearance

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread Today, 08:18 AM   #1
Myren
1979 CJ7 

Need help with radiator/pulley clearance

So I have a '79 CJ7 w/ 258. The block is a re-built '82 0r '83. When I bought the Jeep it had an electric puller fan in front of the radiator wired backwards. The fan was attached through the radiator and was pulling/deforming the fins. Last weekend I went to install a Contour dual fan and there is not enough clearance. The fan is 3.25" deep or so but I'm only getting 2.25" from the pulley to the radiator. So my questions are 1) Is this the correct pulley/water pump?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

2) Is the engine mounted too far forward?

It seems like every project I attempt has parts that work but are not stock replacements. Even the flex-a-lite direct replacement fan has a depth of 3" and this is making me question what is going on. Any help would be appreciated.

Myren is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 09:15 AM   #2
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

I am interested in this as well...as I am going through the same exact deal...

I have a 3 row aluminum replacement radiator and the contour dual fans. My first go was the fan was touching by a half inch. I was able to adjust my mounts on the fan to readiator and suck it in a little. I think it's going to be damn close when I try it again tonight. The next plan is to shave a little of the molded fan plastic where it rubs the water pump pulley.
dirtdudeaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 09:58 AM   #3
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

There isn't much room, that's for sure. I have a three row radiator and just the stock fan and pump.

Here's what I have on my '77...

It cools just fine here in Arizona BTW. Why do you feel you need an electric fan?
Unread Today, 10:32 AM   #4
Group_er
1986 CJ7 

Interesting.... Mine looks about the same as that. Im running A YJ frame, I just summed my lack of clearance up to me welding my motor mount to far forwards. Im running a rad for a v8 cj, with my straight 6... I can get pics if need be

I was running a flex a light flex fan with a smaller spacer, but recently installed the only electric fan I could squeeze in there:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/4-...dings-2670466/
Group_er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 10:56 AM   #5
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Just my opinion, but...

CJs are very simple machines. They were sold all over the planet and ran just fine with a mechanical fix bladed fan. It wasn't until air conditioning became an option that Jeep even considered a fan shroud. I believe if you're running a simple 258 and you have to go to an electric fan to get proper cooling, you may be treating the symptoms instead of finding the cause. Not even the V8s were equipped with electric cooling.

As long as your radiator and block are clear of scale and other deposits, your water pump is running fine and you have the right thermostat you should be good as gold. If you're running too hot, there's a cause for that.
Unread Today, 10:59 AM   #6
Group_er
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
Just my opinion, but...

CJs are very simple machines. They were sold all over the planet and ran just fine with a mechanical fix bladed fan. It wasn't until air conditioning became an option that Jeep even considered a fan shroud. I believe if you're running a simple 258 and you have to go to an electric fan to get proper cooling, you may be treating the symptoms instead of finding the cause. Not even the V8s were equipped with electric cooling.

As long as your radiator and block are clear of scale and other deposits, your water pump is running fine and you have the right thermostat you should be good as gold. If you're running too hot, there's a cause for that.
I agree. I went electric fan because my flex fan was very loud in my opinions. Never had a shroud with it.
Group_er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 11:16 AM   #7
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
Just my opinion, but...

I would agree, but I would also assume that Jeep went mechanical because it's cheap and simple and gets the job done.... I am switching so that I don't have a fan running all the time and and can be a little more efficient in cooling, and have a few extra HP from not having the load from the fan.
dirtdudeaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 12:30 PM   #8
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdudeaz View Post
I would agree, but I would also assume that Jeep went mechanical because it's cheap and simple and gets the job done....
Which was the whole point of a Jeep. 258s are happiest running a warm 210° or so.

Let us know how you get it to fit. Too many times these threads are left open ended.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.