Need Help Please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need Help Please

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 05-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
rrtex1
1981 CJ7 

Need Help Please

I have oil coming through the breather on the oil cap and into my air filter. Have always had a little over time on the filter but never actual oil in the intake. Getting enough that it leaked out the bottom of the air intake and onto the manifold. What could be causing this?

Unread 05-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
Superjeep3

1984 CJ7 

I think there was a post earlier from another jeeper with the same prob. I would first check the pcv valve. Although you would think it is working well if oil is passing through it, I have seen them stuck open (as well as closed). I would also look to see how much blow by is present by either taking the pcv valve off or oil cap while the engine is running. An excessive amount of blow by could mean bad rings, or an engine has not broken in yet ( if it has been rebuilt recently). I would start there first. While you have it out... it probably wouldn't hurt to go ahead and replace the pcv valve...it is only a few bucks. Hope any of this helps.

PCV valve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Superjeep3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 07:40 AM   #3
rrtex1
1981 CJ7 

I replaced the PCV valve about two months ago so it is new. Will look at engine running with oil cap off and see if I am getting any blow by. Anyone else have a thought?
Unread 05-04-2010, 09:36 AM   #4
Darold
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would remove the rubber hose connecting the PCV to carb or cannister and make sure it is clean, most times it is plugged.
Darold is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.