Need help picking springs for YJ suspension conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need help picking springs for YJ suspension conversion

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

Need help picking springs for YJ suspension conversion

I'm about to do the YJ suspension upgrade on my '83 CJ-7.
I have the adapter kit from Quadratec for the shackles, hangers, etc. and now I need to choose springs and shocks.

I want to run 31" tires, and maybe have the room to move up to 33" if I want to later on.

Driving will be mostly on the street and highway, with some off road here and there, especially during hunting season. I live in the Mississippi Delta region, so that means mud, not rocks.

Here's what I think I need to know:

1. I've heard that just changing over would give an inch or so lift, even using stock Wrangler springs. Given that, what "lift" would I want to specify when buying springs? If I buy 2.5" springs, for example, will that result in 3.5" lift overall?

It appears that Rubicon Express and Old Man Emu are big favorites around here. Would that hold true for a dual-use driver like mine?
Recommendations?

2. Once I've figured out the first problem, how do I choose appropriate shocks? I have had good luck with Bilsteins in the past, but that was on sports cars. How are they for off-road/dual-use applications such as Jeeps? Would it be better to match up a set of OME springs and shocks?

Comments and suggestions, especially those based on experience, will be much appreciated. Ditto for the things I might not be taking into account.

YJ Interior, Metal Doors, Hard Top
Colt44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
gpower77
1985 CJ7 

Here is all you could you could ever want to know, and then some:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ti...-lift-1403595/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ol...stall-1245523/

Garry
gpower77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

I knew it would be out there somewhere. In fact, I did a search but for every combination of search terms I used there were way, way too many pages of hits to ever wade through.
But I figured if I posted this, someone would point the way to the main threads - and I thank you for doing so.
YJ Interior, Metal Doors, Hard Top
Colt44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
gpower77
1985 CJ7 

No problem,

I have found that if you just go to google, its way easier, and it will show the jeepforum results

Garry
gpower77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.