Need help with Painless Wiring Kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need help with Painless Wiring Kit

Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesJeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 06-17-2003, 03:59 PM   #1
MFairbourn

Need help with Painless Wiring Kit

I am rewiring my '77 CJ7 with a painless wiring kit, and we are having some problems. I have been trying to get a hold of their tech support but I have not been able to. We faxed a list of problems we are haveing to them today, but I thought I might get quicker response from you guys. If anyone can answer any of my problems that would be great! Thanks

Problem 1. On that page under item E, you say connect wire #720 pink to one end of the ballast resistor. There is no ballast resistor in your figure 8.7? We have no ballast resistor component in this circuit.

Problem 2. The starter relay is not labeled with an I or an S terminal. Does it make a difference?

Problem 3. The wire colors leading into the Electronic Control Unit are shown as Wht, Blu, Blk, Dk. Grn. And Yellow, yet the wires on the Electronic Control Unit are Wht, Blu, Blk Drk grn and White. How do I know unless I just take them in the order they are in the ECU?

Problem 4. Wire leading from the ECU to the distributor are colored white and blue, but there are no terminals on the distributor to connect these wires to? The distributor gets all of its current from the Coil. What do I do with the white and blue wires shown on your diagram?

Problem 5. The brake pressure sending unit on my jeep has two wires but your wiring kit only has one. What do I do?

Problem 6. The connector supplied by you on page 9 Figure 7.2 has plastic bridges between each connector. The jeep has a plastic bar running right through the middle that prevents any connector s from making contact. The only solution seems to be a pocket knife to cut out the plastic on your connector. Why?

MFairbourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2003, 05:45 PM   #2
knifeboy2

I'll help with what I can. I went with a Centech harness so mine is a little different but I'll give you the info I think will help. I have a '77 CJ-5 so I'm guessing some things will be the same, so here goes....

You should have a ballast resistor. On my CJ I have an external voltage regulator. Its a small metal thing on the passenger side fender. Its held down by two screws. If you take it off and look under it there's a ceramic thing with wire wrapped around it. That is a ballast resistor. See if you can reuse it.

On my '77 the starter solenoid only had one terminal on top. That was the one I needed to use. But if you have two posts the S terminal will be the one on the same side of the solenoid as the post that goes to the starter.

I have no idea about question number 3

Are you sure there are no wires whatsoever coming from the distributor? You should have two coming out of the base. They are really tiny wires together in one sheath. At the end they have a male and female connection. I reused the old connectors and spliced them into my new harness.

5 and 6 I can't help you with either. I hope this helps some.
Unread 06-17-2003, 11:02 PM   #3
Infedel

Painless on my '84 CJ-7

Did the Painless install (Basic Wiring Harness) on my '84 CJ-7 a few months ago.
1.) I didn't have a ballast resistor. I currently have an MSD-6 Ignition, but even with the old Mopar ignition module, there never was a balast resistor. You may have one, you may not. Knifeboy has the best description on where to find it if you do.
2.) For the starter solenoid on my '84 CJ-7, I was battery side, S was Solenoid side.
3.) The ECU? Is that the Ignition Module? I had issues with Painless calling out color codes that didn't match as well. If you have your old harness, can you trace back the functions of the connecting plug, and match those to the intended functions of the Painless harness? A Chilton Manual is VERY helpfull here.
4.) There should be 3 wires coming off the distributor. One is ground, the other two should feed back to your Ingition Module. Your distributor may have 2 wires (and no ground) though. If they aren't there, you may have a bum distributor. The Ignition Module requires the feedback for it's timing.
5.) The brake switch has 2 wires. You only need to connect one of these to the painless kit. Either one will work. Depending on the switch, you may need to ground the other wire, but wait to do that until you have the tail lights wired in, and can test the circuit to make sure you don't short something.
6.)No clue what your looking at on this one.
1" Body Lift
1" Shackle Lift
33x12.5" SSR Tires
Painless Wiring, Stainless Steel Dash
Infedel is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.