Need help with motorcraft carb - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need help with motorcraft carb

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 04-29-2003, 09:25 PM   #1
knowlwk@snowhill.com
1980 CJ7 

Need help with motorcraft carb

I'm trying to do the motorcraft swap on my '80 CJ7 258, and am having a bit of trouble.

I have a supposedly rebuilt 2100 mounted and hooked up, If I pump the gas 3 or 4 times it'll crank but will not idle, it fires up, runs about 1500 rpm, then gradually dies. If I give it a little gas before it dies, it jumps back up over 1500 rpm and floats a little, then dies. Idle speed screw has no effect, idle mixture screws are both 2 turns out.

I don't think I've got all the vacuum lines hooked up correctly either. I've got the dist. hooked to a port on the front passenger side, and PCV hooked to the base at the rear of the carb. I blocked off the port on the drivers front side of the carb.

I don't have the power valve vacuum hooked to anything, what should it be connected too? Also, there is some sort of vacuum activated gizmo on the front of the carb. It is to the left of the accel. pump, above and to the right of the fuel inlet, with a vacuum nipple pointing up... any idea what that is, and what I should do with it?

Any suggestions would be helpful

Unread 04-29-2003, 10:36 PM   #2
68JEEP

Hey check your mounting, it sound like a big vacuum leak somewhere! And check the hoses. hope this helps let me know.
68JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2003, 04:29 AM   #3
bigcop30

Yeah I agree you can try this but be easy with it. Take some starting fluid and gentle spray it at the base of the carb don't get it in the top and that will show you were your vac. leaks are at.

what does the gizmo hook to on the carb?

hope that will help
bigcop30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2003, 07:38 AM   #4
knowlwk@snowhill.com
1980 CJ7 

The gizmo is some sort of device bolted to the carb carb itself (part of the carb) just like the accel pump or power valve is connected. It is mounted an a triangular plate with 3 screws instead of 4. It's probably best if I try and get a picture of it, as my description probably sucks LOL
Unread 04-30-2003, 07:06 PM   #5
knowlwk@snowhill.com
1980 CJ7 

Found a similar post on a ford carbs board, and found out you shouldn't run the gasket that comes with the adapter. I picked up a rebuild kit and used the thick base gasket instead, and my 2100 now cranks and runs. I was working on getting it tuned, but couldn't get a consistant idle speed.. it'll run about 700 rpm for a minute or so, then drop to 400 for a while, then back up to 700 or so. It isn't loping like a vacuum leak now, and I suspect it is something like the power valve, although it isn't leaking.

I don't have a vacuum takeoff on my manifold, so I tied into the PCV hose to run the power valve at the bottom of the carb (.

This weekend, I'll probably go ahead and rebuild the carb, as well as patch a few holes in my headers, then fab up some throttle linkage. I will also hook up a vacuum gauge and try to set my mixture screws...

Things are looking up!

PS> still haven't a clue as to what the extra vacuum activated device is on the front of the carb... may have to splice it in same as the power valve...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.