Need Help! Motorcraft 2100 and 258 motor. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need Help! Motorcraft 2100 and 258 motor.

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
Rocket6R
1981 CJ7 

Need Help! Motorcraft 2100 and 258 motor.

My Jeep:
1981 CJ7
258 motor
old carb: Carter BBD
new carb: Motorcraft 2100 Purchased as a kit from Ebay (Mike Ehrmann)

I wanted to get rid of my Carter carb. because of cold start problems and incline/decline stales while offroad.

Anyway, I did some reading and research and decided to purchase the Motorcraft 2100 kit (includes adapter plate, accelerator linkage, and manual choke) from Ebay.

I followed the comprehensive instructions supplied by Mr. Ehrmann on the CD that was sent to me, but have ran into some problems. I sent Mr. Ehrmann some pictures of my set up, which he promptly replied to with some suggestions. I followed his suggestions, but still the problem exists. I emailed him again two days ago, but he has not responded yet. I HAVE ONE WEEK TO GET THIS JEEP UP AND RUNNING!

The engine idles fine, great acceleration, but cruising at mid-range the engine pulsates (it does not hold a constant speed) and feels jerky. I also get a lot of exhaust popping under deceleration and at idle. I can actually hear the popping in the exhaust manifold.

Things I have checked:

1. Sprayed propane and brake cleaner all over the carb. and there is no evidence of any vacuum leaks.
2. Plugged the EGR valve (vacuum operated).
3. All bolts/nuts are tight on the carb to adapter plate and adapter plate to the intake manifold. All surfaces were prepped prior to installing the adapter and carb. gaskets.
4. Manual choke properly installed and working fine.
5. Checked the charcoal canister and my four lines are hooked up right.
6. I played with the fuel mixture screws a quarter turn at a time. I used a range of 1.5 to 4 full turns out on both screws. I found the optimal setting was about 2.75 turns out on both screws. The engine idles fine, great acceleration, but cruising at mid-range the engine pulsates (it does not hold a constant speed) and feels jerky. I also get a lot of exhaust popping under deceleration and idle. Now the motor runs extremely rich.

I thought about checking the distributor points and spark plugs, but they were just fine hours prior to installing the Motorcraft 2100 carb. I did not touch them during the new carb. install. So, I have not checked them. I did not see the point in doing that.

Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Paul

Rocket6R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

The problem is only at cruise.... I am going to guess power valve.....

With a vacuum gauge... get a reading on your hwy cruise vac level.... the power valve should be set 2" HG vacuum below that level. So when you touch the gas the power valve opens up and helps with the extra fuel..... If this is too close it will always come on, not supply extra fuel when you need it, and will make you very rich at cruise. From what you say so far that would be my guess.

Try to get your hwy cruise vac level with a gauge and long hose so you can see the readings in the cab. Call you carb guy back with this new info and see what they set the power valve at on his rebuilt carbs. You may need to change the power valve setting vac level.

Fred
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Bump. Any luck on this? Who else out there has bought an Ebay 2100 from Mike Ehrmann?
Unread 07-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

I can't help with the problem, but I'll second (again) the vote about communication problems with Mr. Ehrmann. It does force you to actually learn something about carburetors, though - enough to make you regret buying from him instead of scooping one off of eBay and rebuilding it.

It does make me glad I've got aftermarket intake/exhaust manifolds, though, seeing the mess above and knowing I have a grand total of four hoses in my engine: fuel in, vapor out, vacuum advance out and PCV in. With the manual carb, it's basically idiot-proof, which means I still have occasional problems!
-N
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
tigercreek

1984 CJ7 

Chiming in late.

Popping on deceleration = exhaust leak.

These tend to run a little on the rich side. Did you get the 2100 with the 1.08 venturi? 47 or 48 jets?

You may want to go in and tweak your timing to accommodate the new setup.
Unread 07-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
banjerman
1985 CJ7 

Me too!

I bought the setup from the same guy too. The first carb I got was so messed up it wouldn't respond to anything. I ended paying a good ole boy ( carb expert) to go through it and he just shook his head with the crap he found. So I had another carb sent to me, only to find it had problems as well. Long story short, Mr Ehrmann quit responding and blocked me from making any comments on his web site. Cause I was gonna say plenty. So only recently I'm getting a similar problem with cutting out in top gear. Kinda like the ignition is getting turned off and back on. Idles fine and no problems on acceleration in the first 3 gears. I might have an ignition problem, but my buddy "dslywalker" sent this thread to me a long with many other good ideas to help troubleshoot my issue.
banjerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
frank c
1981 CJ5 

I have a question , on top of the carb in front of the air cleaner you have a plug on the fuel bowl vent, IS this right ?? shouldnt that vent to the charcoal canister ??? Also could this be causing any problem when running ??
I'm not a carb eggspert I only know enough to get myself in trouble sometimes so there should be some guys with knowledge of this wether its OK to just plug it or if it could cause an issue. I'm wondering what the answer is. ???
frank c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #8
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Hey, wait a minute... I thought the MC2100 was supposed to fix all the problems with a 258!
Unread 07-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
banjerman
1985 CJ7 

It seems to be fine for me, but cant explain the intermittent problem I'm experiencing. Great acceleration and all. Just when I'm at cruising speed. I'll hit the wiring this weekend and see what I find. The carbs are good!
banjerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #10
southshore30
1982 CJ7 

I got one from him and it worked pretty good. I had to play with the accelerator pump linkage a bit to get it to accelerate strong. About a year after buying it I lost the linkage keeper for the accelerator pump and emailed him, he responded and sent me two free of charge. Sucks to hear you guys had bad experiences with him. My install went real easy, I didn't even see the CD he included with the instructions untill after I got it running and was chucking the box into the garbage. It does sound like a exhaust leak, maybe at the manifold. Is the idle good? maybe a combo exhaust/intake leak from loose manifold bolts. Is it a full exhaust all the way to the back bumper? Mine ran like crap and popped with a flowmaster and a turn down in front of the rear axle. put a tailpipe on and it was much better and sounded better too. Good luck.

SBC350,T-176,D-300,D44
southshore30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #11
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

One thing I see is that you are using the thin gasket between the carb and adapter. When I used that gasket, it ran like crap. Took a while to isolate it as it appeared to have no vac leaks. There is a much thicker gasket you can get at any auto parts store for about 5.00 and seals much butter!

I would set the timing and then use a vac gauge to adjust mixture screws to achieve highest steady-state manifold vac at idle as a starting point.

I would also connect the capped carb vent over to the correct port on the charcoal canister.
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #12
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
Hey, wait a minute... I thought the MC2100 was supposed to fix all the problems with a 258!
It does.......unless you buy it from the ebay guy it seems!
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 08:48 PM   #13
CJ7Newbie
1981 CJ7 

Sorry to hear about that. I bought the same one from him on ebay and mine worked flawlessly.
CJ7Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #14
Rocket6R
1981 CJ7 

Mr Ehrmann has not returned my last two emails. I ended up taking the carb to my local carb shop. The shop charged me $135 to un-f*&k what Mr. Ehrmann did. The jets were too lean and I had asked Mr. Erhmann to give me jets for 1200' elevation. The jets in the carb measured .047" and the shop had to drill them out to .053". Also, the carb was not very clean internally and the shop had to blow out the carb with solvent to get a lot of the crud out. Mr. Ehrmann gets a big "thumbs down" for me.

Last edited by Rocket6R; 07-07-2010 at 08:38 AM..
Rocket6R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2010, 11:46 PM   #15
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjerman View Post
Long story short, Mr Ehrmann quit responding and blocked me from making any comments on his web site. Cause I was gonna say plenty.
After reading this thread I find it interesting that the guy has zero negative feedback with over 5300 ratings on his ebay account.

Maybe by blocking people you avoid negative feedback
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.