Need help, motor started to smoke - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need help, motor started to smoke

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
cdt540
1983 CJ7 

Need help, motor started to smoke

I have an '83 with the 258. The engine was rebuilt about 400 miles ago. Up till now everything has been good. I went to pick my daughter up last night and I noticed the CJ was starting spew faint blue smoke. I got up this morning and check the plugs (attached pic). All the plugs but #4 looked exactly like the one in the pic. #4 was all white, like new. Also, these are brand new plugs, maybe 50 miles on them. I put them in recently when I installed the DUI ignition. Any thoughts on what happened or where to start looking....?

Chris

img_0372.jpg  
Austin, TX
cdt540 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Well, depending on the bore finish, ring pack and piston/bore clearance, it's not uncommon for an engine with 400 miles on it to still be using a little oil. I'm not sure I'd be running the platinum plugs without some serious additional grounding from the cylinder head back to the battery.

It's possible that the oil has finally caked up enough on the plugs to not burn it completely and you're seeing the smoke as a result.

That's my Saturday morning wild azz guess

Shawn
Unread 12-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #3
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

On the other hand, the way the oil has blasted onto one side of the plug looks more like a valve seal issue.

Shawn
Unread 12-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Jeep carb engines don't like most platinum plugs. Bosch will foul right over, those autolite haven't fouled yet, but....
That said, the clean like new plug is likely the problem cylinder. Clean like new implies it is getting steam cleaned by a head gasket leak. I would be running a compression test on it.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2014, 12:55 PM   #5
cdt540
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
On the other hand, the way the oil has blasted onto one side of the plug looks more like a valve seal issue.

Shawn
Every plug (except 4) is exactly the same. The oil is in the exact same place in the same amount as the pic. When I changed the plugs 50 miles ago they were perfect, an even, consistent tan-ish color with absolutely no oil residue. What is strange is I don't think it was smoking when I left the house. It is like something let go and bam it started. It still runs fine. I felt no degradation in how it ran. How would check if it is valve guide seals without just replacing them?
Austin, TX
Unread 12-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
Mortgage-payer
1976 CJ7 

Engine needs compression check.
Unread 12-13-2014, 01:24 PM   #7
Partsmke
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Go back to stock spark plugs. Allow the engine to break in and then check the plugs. The plug that is white may have not been tightened properly, causing a very slight vacuum leak which would lean out that cylinder.
Partsmke is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2014, 01:34 PM   #8
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Were they platinums from the get-go?

Shawn
Unread 12-13-2014, 06:30 PM   #9
cdt540
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
Were they platinums from the get-go?

Shawn
No the plugs that were put in after the rebuild were Champion RFN14LY. When I installed the DUI about 50 miles ago I put in the Autolites AP 985.

I am not following the spark plug discussion. Oil is not supposed to be in the combustion chamber so whether I were using platinum or some other config, how does that create a condition that would burn oil and make small blue smoke on a new rebuilt motor? Everything was all good until last night. I checked the plugs numerous times during the 400 miles since the rebuild and they always looked fine and no smoke.
Austin, TX
Unread 12-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #10
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

Smoke under acceleration or deceleration can mean different things. Some times smoke under acceleration can mean rings, [blow by].

You have a new engine there and you are not even close to seating those rings completely.
We have no idea what oil you are using from the start and there is no place for synthetic oil during break in.

So the rings are still flopping around no matter what and if you have poor compression as of yet, Don't be surprised. It takes a whole lot longer then 400 miles to brake in an engine but you can brake a new engine in ten miles abusing it. Surely you are not loading it up full house and shifting hard after all that work.
Red Neck
RedNeckCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #11
cdt540
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeckCorvette View Post
Smoke under acceleration or deceleration can mean different things. Some times smoke under acceleration can mean rings, [blow by].

You have a new engine there and you are not even close to seating those rings completely.
We have no idea what oil you are using from the start and there is no place for synthetic oil during break in. Castrol GTX 10-40

So the rings are still flopping around no matter what and if you have poor compression as of yet, Don't be surprised. It takes a whole lot longer then 400 miles to brake in an engine but you can brake a new engine in ten miles abusing it. Surely you are not loading it up full house and shifting hard after all that work.
Red Neck
I keep the operating RPM range between 1200 and 2500. RPM has occasionally exceeded 2500 but never 3000. I guess the thing that has me concerned is why all the sudden? Hasn't blown smoke for the first 400 miles now all the sudden it does.

At any point do I need to recheck the head bolt tightness. I have had to re-tighten manifold bolts, etc but have not checked the head bolts.
Austin, TX
Unread 12-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #12
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

If you have set the head bolts properly in the first place it done for life. Never re torque unless specifically indicated such as your wheels lug nuts after a rotation or tier change.

I like to vary the RPM range and do 'by now' start to bring it on a bit wile entering the Hwy for instance and for short intervals. You need to vary but not abuse the engine rpm range and load. Going down a highway, steady running is not considered a good way to brake a new engine. For instance a Country road with a verity of turns and hills is how I like to invest in my rebuilds.

Edit:- ''Tight machine work held this motor back'' I could feel it, seat of the pants. One of my motors was at four thousand miles before it freed up. After the kind of money spent on that motor I hand all the time in the world and when it came on it was all worth it. The last motor I had the rings would not seat so I ran the same oil until they did.

It is hard to see from here but how much smoke?
RN
Unread 12-14-2014, 01:50 PM   #13
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Just a shot in the dark here, but if those plugs started acting like typical platinums and started misfiring, could that rattle the pistons enough to cause some oil to get past the rings?

The other thought was is the smoke really blue and not grayish? One clean plug sets off the alarms to me more than platinums that have started to foul up which I see all the time. I would be keeping a careful eye on the coolant level. Well I sure would be putting a quick compression test on her because of that.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #14
kovic
1983 CJ5 

I would look into the valve stem seals. I had one start floating a short while after a rebuild also. You can either pull the valve cover and try and glance thru the springs and see if the seals are sitting high. Or Have someone behind you while driving the jeep, downshift and ride the gears, if blue smoke puffs at that point, its most likely valve stem seals.

Or take it back to the builder and have them look it over?

kov
kovic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2014, 02:15 PM   #15
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Just a shot in the dark here, but if those plugs started acting like typical platinums and started misfiring, could that rattle the pistons enough to cause some oil to get past the rings?

The other thought was is the smoke really blue and not grayish? One clean plug sets off the alarms to me more than platinums that have started to foul up which I see all the time. I would be keeping a careful eye on the coolant level. Well I sure would be putting a quick compression test on her because of that.
Is a compression test going to tell us anything having just 400 miles on the rig. I guess so, should it involve the valves or the head gasket. I would like to know the actual readings on an engine this new, would they be all over the place?

For the moment I was all wrapped around the rings not seating.

cdt540 By any chance did you add oil to the rig or is the stick showing over full.

Kovic I like your input also / Just saying

RN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.