Need help with light upgrades on a '72 CJ5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need help with light upgrades on a '72 CJ5

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
Thumperk15
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Need help with light upgrades on a '72 CJ5

I'd rather not keep the 4 tiny round lights on back. What options do I have to get 2 lights back there? I'd rather have an led light but I'd probably be back to 4, unless there's a led where the still blink and stay on for the brake, but blink for signals. Also, any upgrade for the old toggleswitch turn signals? Where is the dim/bright switch on the stupid thing?

Thumperk15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

The Jeep came stock with two brake/turn lights and two backup lights. You can replace/combine them with just about any stand alone lighting you find. Truck stops, RV centers, and trailer specialty houses are a good sources of ideas that include combined trailer style external lights, single bulb buckets, recessed lighting, LED's, etc,,,
Be sure not to forget your plate lighting in your choice.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:00 PM   #3
Thumperk15
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Nope, I have 2 round lights on either side but no backup lights. I have 2 up high(turn signals), and 2 down low(brake lights). My brakes are on a little push button switch just above the pedal, if you forget it's there no one knows your slowing down or stopping. Is your signal switch on a little toggle switch left of the steering wheel? I need to take pics so maybe I can tell where this stuff all is. Trying to make it safer and things easier, my wifes driving it this summer.
Unread 01-09-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

What I did with mine was take the little round brake/tail lights off,
Cut two round 4" holes, and use rubber gaskets and 'Truck Lights' mounted in the body.
Stopped all that knocking the lights off when on the trails.

I kept the two smaller round back up lights, but I wired in one larger back up light on the draw bar for more light when I was backing up or doing something.
It's on a switch so I can use it in camp site, backing up or when I need to check trailer or something else behind the vehicle without being in reverse for it to work.

The lights used in large trucks are what they call 'Truck Lites' (that's a brand name) and they are held in by a rubber mounting ring that holds it's self in sheet metal,
Then the light pushes into a groove in the center.
They call it a 'Gasket' for some reason.

Very easy to mount, very easy to wire and virtually indestructible.
The come in standard incandescent, LED and in different shapes than just standard 4" round if you want to spice the back of your vehicle up some.

Every big truck parts store or truck stop I've ever been in has a display of the different sizes, styles and mounting options available, so you can have a look before you purchase.

Getting the lights to flash with LED lights is as simple as adding a resistor to the 'Feed' lines,
Or changing from a 'Thermal' flasher to a mechanical one.

"Standard" flashers use resistance in the circuit to heat up a 'Breaker' arm in the flasher,
When you switch over to LED units, the circuit simply doesn't have enough resistance to heat that unit up and make it work.

When a bulb goes out, or you use LED lights, the circuit flashes way too fast,
When you add a trailer or extra lights,
It flashes way too slow...

Switching to a 'Mechanical' type flasher unit will stop all that silly crap.
Since the resistance circuit is built into the flasher unit, it flashes the same rate no matter if you have the trailer attached or not,
Same rate if you add extra lights,
Same rate if you take lights out of the circuit (Like getting rid of side markers),
And the same rate with LED lights.

As far as turn signals go,
There are MANY options for steering column mounted turn signal units.

I switched to a 'Signal Stat' unit that had 4 way flashers built in since my 4 way switch was junk and the jeep suppliers wanted over $75 for a new switch,
Then I would have to chase down all the wiring anyway to install a new turn signal...

With built in directional arrows to let you know when it's left on, built in 4 ways, and simple wiring, and it's rated for 'Industrial' use so it doesn't croak every time it gets wet or muddy, it was a good choice for me.

You should check around and see if your local NAPA has 'Signal Stat' brand turns signal units if you want to go that direction.

Something else I like,
Extra long turn signal handle.
Since I have a LARGE diameter steering wheel, I like for the handle to be at my finger tips, and the longer handle of the Signal Stat unit has that so I don't have to stick my arm through the steering wheel or take a hand off the steering wheel to use the turn signals...

That's just personal taste, I don't want to push that off on anyone.
Since I don't have power steering in my 'Street Jeep', having the handle at my finger tips with BOTH hands on the steering wheel helps me out!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
Thumperk15
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Mine has a lot of new wiring but some is the old. The new runs out under the hood and has 2 flasher relays for the signals. They all work fine but I can track down where the dim/bright switch is for the headlights, unless it was only one back the lol. Same for the tail light wires, all new but if I do a 4in led they are $25 a piece and I'd go above the gas tank filler cap?

If I take a couple pics can someone tell me what's correct and what's been changed on this thing?
Unread 01-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
CO64CJ5
1964 CJ5 

Well, pics generally help, but offhand there are a few things apparent from your description.

First, the headlight dimmer switch should be mounted on the floor where you can activate it with your left foot.

Second, the original turn signal switch is not a toggle switch mounted on the dash -- it should be a pretty normal-looking handle protruding from the steering column where you can activate it with your left hand, possibly without even letting go of the steering wheel.

Third, the original brake light was not a push button you have to remember to push. It should be a pressure switch mounted in the brake system, activated automatically when you press the brake pedal.

Fourth, the original tail lights are S/T/T, or Stop/Tail/Turn signals. This is accomplished using a dual-filament lamp in which the dimmer filament is used for the tail lights and the brighter filament is used for the brake and turn signal lights. The brake light switch is wired through the turn signal switch so that when you turn on your turn signal the light on that side is disconnected from the brake light switch and connected instead to the flasher.

This is a very common configuration, readily available in LED lights.
CO64CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
Thumperk15
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO64CJ5 View Post
Well, pics generally help, but offhand there are a few things apparent from your description.

First, the headlight dimmer switch should be mounted on the floor where you can activate it with your left foot.

Second, the original turn signal switch is not a toggle switch mounted on the dash -- it should be a pretty normal-looking handle protruding from the steering column where you can activate it with your left hand, possibly without even letting go of the steering wheel.

Third, the original brake light was not a push button you have to remember to push. It should be a pressure switch mounted in the brake system, activated automatically when you press the brake pedal.

Fourth, the original tail lights are S/T/T, or Stop/Tail/Turn signals. This is accomplished using a dual-filament lamp in which the dimmer filament is used for the tail lights and the brighter filament is used for the brake and turn signal lights. The brake light switch is wired through the turn signal switch so that when you turn on your turn signal the light on that side is disconnected from the brake light switch and connected instead to the flasher.

This is a very common configuration, readily available in LED lights.

Well, the brake button on mine was a dead give away. I however didn't know the others were but the turn signal toggle was likely but didn't think it should be there. The tail lights should be 2 and not 4? 4 is a bit much and that's 4 to knock off in the woods and not just 2 lol.
Unread 01-11-2010, 06:08 AM   #8
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperk15 View Post
The tail lights should be 2 and not 4?
Again,
Quote:
The Jeep came stock with two brake/turn lights and two backup lights.
The back up lights are mounted up higher and are run through a switch on the lid of your T14 (or15) transmission. You may want these working, as it will save you some effort beating out the rear quarter panels after backing into a tree after dark. You can replace them with about any aftermarket unit and can be had either recessed or external.
Your turn signal regulator (that thing that mounts on your steering column with the stalk sticking out) can be had at the same truck stop I described earlier. They are not the exact unit that came stock, but are cheap, readily available, and will fit your small steering column. They come with directions and are relatively easy to install. Depending on how hacked up your harness is, you may also need a relay, fuse/holder, and some wire.
Since your brake light system ties to the regulator, you will need to get it working properly as well.
All these systems are fairly simple on your year Jeep and with the help of some schematics (try earlycj5.com, the V6 system shown is very similar) you should be able to do all the repairs yourself.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.