Need help with leaf springs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Need help with leaf springs

Corbeau Seats & Harness from CCOR!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Bds suspension discount

Unread 04-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
ff110
1979 CJ7 

Need help with leaf springs

I'm new to the forum and new to the jeep world. Ive read alot of posts on this topic but still not sure what i need. I have a 79 cj7 360 amc not sure on the lift the guy i bought it from didnt know. theres 3in. shakles in front and 5in. in back its got 35in. bfg tires. the leaf springs in back are sagging mainly left rear. I dont know what size to go with out having to extend anything. im putting a new gear box in now so the springs are next. please help. Thanks

ff110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
ff110
1979 CJ7 

oh and theres a good 5 in. clearance from center wheel well to top of tire
ff110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Sounds like you have a 4-5" lift plus extended shackles maybe. You need to measure your shackles eye to eye before deciding they are longer than stock.

Then get under there and have a good look at the leafs. How many are there? Are the ends wrapped in a C or an O? An O is a complete wrap and stronger.

Have you had it running? Is it overstiff?

Have you got a winch, hardtop?

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.